Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog-related songs by Guns N' Roses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog-related songs by Guns N' Roses?
    Posted: August 17 2018 at 04:19
Which GnR songs do you consider to be proggy?

tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 04:46
They certainly have quite a few long songs on the Use Your Illusion albums, and while some of those are just songs with a whole bunch of verses, there are a couple prog-ish ones; "November Rain" and "Civil War" I'd say are mildly prog, while the end of "Locomotive (Complicity)" as well "Estranged" are a little more proggy.

Edited by tempest_77 - August 17 2018 at 16:57
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:13
None, I'm afraid. They injected some pomp and a little circumstance into their UYI set, but it didn't make what they were doing proggy or prog.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:19
'Estranged' shows some prog potential, although I think the likes of Iron Maiden show more progginess on the arena/festival metal circuit.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 15:28
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

None, I'm afraid. They injected some pomp and a little circumstance into their UYI set, but it didn't make what they were doing proggy or prog.

totally agree :)

I can only listen to their debut these days, I don't care for anything else from them. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 13:50
None, I'm afraid but I do like their UYI epics.

Edited by SteveG - August 20 2018 at 13:50
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 02:59
G and R are one of the last acts I'd go to for prog never mind entertainment. Slightly elongated numbers are not quite the same thing...
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2018 at 19:44
November Rain
Dragged down by the stone
Mcsplosion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcsplosion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 14:14
November rain definitely comes to mind. It's a bit on the generic power ballad side, but it is backed by an orchestra, with a really interesting shift at the end.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 15:00
There aren't any.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 16:29
I can only echo the others:  despite some extended tracks on Use Your Illusion, they were simply long tracks still in the late 80s-early 90s hard rock style - not progressive rock.

And to be honest, I'd rather listen to Appetite for Destruction anyways.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 14:26
Anything Axl Rose sings is non-Prog. Their ‘epics’ are in the same league as the over-long shlock Meatloaf dishes out. Pompous, Poppy Hard-Rock.
benovento View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benovento Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 11:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Anything Axl Rose sings is non-Prog. Their ‘epics’ are in the same league as the over-long shlock Meatloaf dishes out https://gearexpertguides.com. Pompous, Poppy Hard-Rock.

Agree!

Edited by benovento - December 12 2018 at 14:00
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 04:24
None.

They are the anithesis of anything progressive IMO, and Axl Rose is one of the worst singers I have ever heard in rock music.

One image that has haunted me mos of my adult life is that of Axl Rose strutting on stage like a smacked up peacock, in some grotesque yellow outfit and what apeared to be across between knee high boots and leg warmers, at some charity/remembrance event (Freddie Mercury??) I think Elton John was involved.

I saw them at a festival back in the Appetite days, and oh boy were they sh*t! In between falling over and asking the crowd for fights, I would say they are the worst band I ever saw live, after Megadeth and Whitesnake in their 'poodle perm' phase.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 21:21
^ Dont diss Mustaine and his gang.......plz.....

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 10 2018 at 21:22
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 02:00

I've heard great things about Megadeth live. When I saw them they had just recently released the album with 'Into the lungs of hell' on it (?) They were just shoddy, mistake ridden and sounded awful.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 02:51
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

None, I'm afraid but I do like their UYI epics.

I guess you mean the above 7-mins tracks....

TBH, I quickly reviewed that double album, and there is only one I'd consider an "epic", and it's the embarrassingly and ridiculously pompous November rain... All four of the other lengthy song, you ask for mercy after the standard 4 minutes length: your Breakdown is an Estranged Locomotive leading to Coma. TongueLOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 03:27
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I've heard great things about Megadeth live. When I saw them they had just recently released the album with 'Into the lungs of hell' on it (?) They were just shoddy, mistake ridden and sounded awful.
Look, I haven’t been fortunate enough to witness a live gig from Megadeth, though I get why you would say this. Mustaine isn’t exactly ‘reliable’. Well, maybe he’s more disciplined nowadays..........
I do prefer Megadeth over Metallica ANY DAY.   But we are digressing from the OP (something I tend to do.......) but I am a follower of Mustaine, bless him.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 09:37
Zippo prog anything with GnR, they are a traditional hard rock band period. I never got into them, simply because I was so into Rush, Genesis and the like.

I've seen Megadeth open for Scorpions last year, OMG it was so loud it hurt my ears terribly. And we were nowhere near front row. The show was fine lots of lights and video, the setlist was one similar song over and over and over LOL. I could not tell much difference, but I only know maybe 2 of their songs.

They open for Ozzy in Sept.......for sure will bring ear plugs.
Mcsplosion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcsplosion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 17:09
This is seriously Getting off-track

Anyways, I still think out of any guns n' roses song I've listened to, November rain is definitely the proggiest. It's musically a fairly standard power ballad, but backed with an orchestra, and with a wildly different ending solo section. There's not any odd time signatures or full-on instrumental sections, but it's still a fairly lengthy song with a definite tonal shift as it closes. On the further subject of GnR and prog, I'd say the albums they've made aren't very progressive for the most part, but some of their live shows definitely try to combine different songs into more cohesive and dynamic pieces.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>