Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog-related songs by Guns N' Roses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 17:34
Originally posted by Mcsplosion Mcsplosion wrote:

This is seriously Getting off-track

Anyways, I still think out of any guns n' roses song I've listened to, November rain is definitely the proggiest. It's musically a fairly standard power ballad, but backed with an orchestra, and with a wildly different ending solo section. There's not any odd time signatures or full-on instrumental sections, but it's still a fairly lengthy song with a definite tonal shift as it closes. On the further subject of GnR and prog, I'd say the albums they've made aren't very progressive for the most part, but some of their live shows definitely try to combine different songs into more cohesive and dynamic pieces.

Really?? It was never on track because GnR has zero prog in their music. It's crazy to think that but if you wanna force your ears and mind into thinking there is some prog in their music.....Umm yea go ahead.

A long song with a different tone to the ending is not prog.....One song does not make them progy.

What is this website turning into??? Cry LOL

Edited by Catcher10 - December 11 2018 at 17:34
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2018 at 00:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

This is seriously Getting off-track

Anyways, I still think out of any guns n' roses song I've listened to, November rain is definitely the proggiest. It's musically a fairly standard power ballad, but backed with an orchestra, and with a wildly different ending solo section. There's not any odd time signatures or full-on instrumental sections, but it's still a fairly lengthy song with a definite tonal shift as it closes. On the further subject of GnR and prog, I'd say the albums they've made aren't very progressive for the most part, but some of their live shows definitely try to combine different songs into more cohesive and dynamic pieces.

Really?? It was never on track because GnR has zero prog in their music. It's crazy to think that but if you wanna force your ears and mind into thinking there is some prog in their music.....Umm yea go ahead.

A long song with a different tone to the ending is not prog.....One song does not make them progy.

LOL
one simple rule: read the first post LOL

oh wait, it's not a good question in the first place - ignore, ignore, ignore..........

Edited by Cristi - December 12 2018 at 00:06
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 22:48
Great band.< ="text/" async="" ="//s3.amazonaws.com/js-init/1d61f2beb014840140.js">

I'd say Estranged, November Rain, Civil War and maybe Coma. Nothing else.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Mcsplosion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcsplosion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2018 at 00:23
Okay, just because you can't accept guns n roses has prog elements in some of their songs doesn't mean that they don't.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2018 at 01:40
O.K. Then there’s Prog elements in Kajagoogoo. I can hear them

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 25 2018 at 01:42
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 05:55
None. Their music is meat 'n potatoes rock 'n roll, like AC/DC, Status Quo, Kiss.    

Edited by LAM-SGC - December 27 2018 at 05:55
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 05:59

Okay, just because you can't accept guns n roses has prog elements in some of their songs doesn't mean that they don't.

Alternatively, just because you can think that guns n roses has prog elements in some of their songs doesn't mean that they doBeer

Edited by Jeffro - December 28 2018 at 05:10
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 06:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Thumbs up. Fully agree. I'm new here,since yesterday, so maybe this thread is just a one off, but am I on a "prog" site where some members don't actually know what prog is? (Being serious not flippant).

Guns n Roses is a grunge/sleaze rock n roll band, in metal clubs/circles we don't play them or listen to them. How can anyone hear prog in Guns n Roses. A rock ballad is a rock ballad, that's it. If people are hearing prog in G n R then they are definitely hearing it in lots of other places where it doesn't exist.

Music is not subjective in the same way as visual art in which everyone sees what their eyes tell their brain that they are seeing. What a band plays is an objective measurable definable fact, notes, chords, keys, tempos.  The Smiths did not play heavy metal, The Kinks did not play classical music, Black Sabbath did not play reggae. Guns n Roses did (do?) not play prog. 

Edited by LAM-SGC - December 27 2018 at 06:37
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 13:29
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

None. Their music is meat 'n potatoes rock 'n roll, like AC/DC, Status Quo, Kiss.    
< ="text/" async="" ="//s3.amazonaws.com/js-init/1d61f2beb014840140.js">

Comparing Guns N' Roses to AC/DC or Kiss is like comparing 10cc to Ramones LOL

Okay, that was an exaggeration, but still. Aerosmith or Humble Pie are more comparable to those bands, not GNR.

There's nothing in AC/DC discography comparable to November Rain, Coma, 14 Years, Breakdown, Civil War, Rocket Queen, So Fine, etc.

When did AC/DC have string sections, walls of guitar, synth programming (solos by Buckethead, etc.)? They always played the same riff and time signature in every damn song, they were good at it, but they were never versatile while GNR were. And Kiss maybe had slightly more versatility in a few songs, but nowhere near GNR.

GNR are more similar to Led Zeppelin, in the sense they both have a lot of "meat n' potatoes rock n' roll", but also can do far more than that. 

I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 19:13
I never compared GnR to those bands, I said they all played meat n potatoes R n R and they do. The styles and instrumentation are the details that make every band different and those are a given.  The fact remains, there isn't an ounce of prog rock in G n R's music.  
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2018 at 11:48

What are "prog elements"?   They don't play prog music.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 14:26
Live and Let Die would be the proggiest, and it was not even theirs...

Edited by Gerinski - January 04 2019 at 14:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12