FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gryphon - Reinvention

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gryphon - Reinvention
    Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:32
Cool! I hadn't heard anything about that, and how would I? Thanks for the note.

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 10:10
Well I've had this album for a few weeks now and, to be honest, on first listen it wasn't quite what I was expecting.

After seeing them live it seemed the album would be much more like their early albums; very medieval in flavour.

However, surprisingly it ranges over a number of musical styles, including celtic folk and music hall styles. It feels closest to Raindance for me.

I was also surprised at the heavy (for Gryphon) use of vocals in this album. I've never thought that vocals were their strong point and my favourite Gryphon is all instrumental.

After a few spins though it is growing on me, but I feel as though I haven't fully assimilated this album yet and my opinions on it are in flux.

I need some more time with the album to form a clear opinion. I can already tell that its a worthy Gryphon album though and a great addition to the canon. Just can't decide if it's good or great
Songs cast a light on you
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 11:39
Thanks Mascodagama! 
It's in the post apparently, so should arrive soon and will let you know what I think - I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it

Seeing them at Trading Boundaries last year was an absolute treat.  It's such a great venue to watch prog.  Really intimate and you get up close and personal with the band

And I got to meet Roger Dean who was there and he did a personal drawing for me which I've now got framed in my dining room, so it was one of the best nights ever!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 03:33
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

They played "Rhubarb Crumhorn" when I saw them live last year, and it was the best piece they played on the night

Can't wait to get my hands on the new album!
If you liked Rhubarb Crumhorn I think you'll find plenty more to enjoy on the album. Let us know what you think when you get it!
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 11:01
They played "Rhubarb Crumhorn" when I saw them live last year, and it was the best piece they played on the night

Can't wait to get my hands on the new album!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 19:11
Any samples? I have to hear a track these days before buying anything. Especially vintage prog comebacks.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 13:53
Need to find a download option.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 13:50
Excellent!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 16:04
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Is the new album more back to its English Neo-Medieval Folk folk roots of the debut, and away from the more rock and symphonic prog approach of later albums (although that was already happening by the second rather transitional album, Midnight Mushrumps)? I like the thought that this is more of a traditional folk and not so much a folk-rock album, though I actually liked all of their first five albums very much (first three especially, though -- self-titled, Midnight Mushrumps and Red Queen to Gryphon Three). Good to see another old Progressive Folk band making a comeback (the last big event was Comus' Out of the Coma).
It's definitely not as “pure” in regard to English Neo-Medieval Folk as the first album, by any means. For one thing there aren't any traditional tunes, it's all originals (Gulland is the most-represented writer). Musically I think Midnight Mushrumps is the closest parallel. There are rocky / proggy moments with distorted guitar but few and far between. Keyboard-wise you won't hear any synth sounds, just organ, harmonium, harpsichord and piano. There's a fairly even mix of instrumental and vocal tracks with some whimsical and downright silly lyrics. A highlight for me is the longest track, an eleven-minute setting of Lewis Carroll's Haddocks' Eyes from ATTLG that I suspect would have pleased the man himself.

EDIT: In case it was in doubt there are lots and lots of crumhorns! And bassoons, recorders, flute, sax and clarinet. If you diggin' that you will be happy.

I would be digging that, and I love Midnight Mushrumps (mt first Gryphon love). Sound like something I would enjoy, thanks for the very descriptive post.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 14:42
^ Per my post above, the track is a complete setting of Carroll's poem.
Bandcamp Profile
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 14:33
The cover immediately reminded me of the illustrations to Lewis Carroll's "Alice" books by Sir John Tenniel, especially the White Knight from "Through the Looking Glass" and the Gryphon from "Alice in Wonderland". And there is indeed a reference to them in the track listing, the 4th and longest track "Haddocks' Eyes". This phrase appears in a poem the White Knight recites to Alice.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3400/3297773168_6593feb466.jpg

Edited by BaldFriede - August 18 2018 at 14:43

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 14:00
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Their site is f.u.c.k.ed up

I try to order their new CD and it immediately takes me to PayPal without asking for info (name, address etc) and wants me to pay.

Is this a friggin' scam?
It's not a scam. The cash goes to Dave Oberlé.

If you have a Paypal account they will have your info and when you log in and complete the transaction that info will go to the seller.

In any event it worked fine for me using the UK store page. Could be that pages for other regions have issues, I don't know.
Bandcamp Profile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 13:54
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Is the new album more back to its English Neo-Medieval Folk folk roots of the debut, and away from the more rock and symphonic prog approach of later albums (although that was already happening by the second rather transitional album, Midnight Mushrumps)? I like the thought that this is more of a traditional folk and not so much a folk-rock album, though I actually liked all of their first five albums very much (first three especially, though -- self-titled, Midnight Mushrumps and Red Queen to Gryphon Three). Good to see another old Progressive Folk band making a comeback (the last big event was Comus' Out of the Coma).
It's definitely not as “pure” in regard to English Neo-Medieval Folk as the first album, by any means. For one thing there aren't any traditional tunes, it's all originals (Gulland is the most-represented writer). Musically I think Midnight Mushrumps is the closest parallel. There are rocky / proggy moments with distorted guitar but few and far between. Keyboard-wise you won't hear any synth sounds, just organ, harmonium, harpsichord and piano. There's a fairly even mix of instrumental and vocal tracks with some whimsical and downright silly lyrics. A highlight for me is the longest track, an eleven-minute setting of Lewis Carroll's Haddocks' Eyes from ATTLG that I suspect would have pleased the man himself.

EDIT: In case it was in doubt there are lots and lots of crumhorns! And bassoons, recorders, flute, sax and clarinet. If you diggin' that you will be happy.

Edited by Mascodagama - August 18 2018 at 14:32
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 21:06
Their site is f.u.c.k.ed up

I try to order their new CD and it immediately takes me to PayPal without asking for info (name, address etc) and wants me to pay.

Is this a friggin' scam?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 21:03
Thanks for this announcement. I'm always skepticle aboiut classic prog artists in the modern world. More often than not..... MEH. This one for some reason intrigues me despite the classic lineup (or perhaps because of) not present.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 17:17
I'll mildly interested. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:23
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 14:58
Great news - I'll take up your recommendation!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 14:55
The new Gryphon studio album, Reinvention, is now shipping. You can get the CD here:

Gryphon Shop

Mine arrived today and I think it is excellent - a return to the Gryphon of their first two albums. A vinyl release is to follow.

NOTE: Make sure to click on the appropriate link for your region on the page above.

Edited by Mascodagama - August 17 2018 at 14:57
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply