Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lesser Known Steven Wilson Projects

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these lesser known Steven Wilson projects do you like best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [11.54%]
8 [30.77%]
5 [19.23%]
2 [7.69%]
8 [30.77%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lesser Known Steven Wilson Projects
    Posted: August 17 2018 at 18:52
Which one of these Steven Wilson projects do you like best?  I left off Porcupine Tree and his solo albums in order to get a better picture of which other projects are getting some attention and love in the archives.  I didn't put any of his guest appearances (of which there are many) or any of his production or album reissue projects on the list either.  That would have made the list endless.  I hope I didn't leave any off, but just in case, there is an "Other" choice.  Please leave a reply if you pick "Other".
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 18:56
Storm Corrosion by a little hair.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 08:13
I do not know IEM, Altamont and Karma (was this the neo prog band he was in very young?)

I like Blackfield quite a bit so I'll vote for that. :)
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 09:10
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I do not know IEM, Altamont and Karma (was this the neo prog band he was in very young?)

Altamont and Karma are both neo prog projects and yes it was while he was quite young.  IEM (which stands for "Incredible Expanding Mindf*ck") is more of a Krautrock/Experimental/Psychedelic project which is more recent.
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 10:37
Bass Communion for me.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 13:19
No-Man by far.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
vivoactive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivoactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 13:23
I can't vote since I haven't listened to everything yet, but I do like the title track of the Altamont project ("Altamont"). Nearly 18 minutes of a synth progression. If this is one of his first recordings, he has been a really talented child creating this composition with what he had back then (some sort of a synthesizer). How old was he back then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krE1tET2YXE

________
...that the storm really doesn't matter until the storm begins to get you down
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 13:36
Blackfield. Storm Corrosion was an interesting album which I'd like to see repeated, although not sure how likely that will be. A Blackfield 'best of' is being released, which I hope cherry-picks their stronger tracks for newbies to the duo.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 22:35
I like No-Man.  Tim Bowness's mellow drama just adds something to Steve Wilson's musical noodlery.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeGlade12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 05:37
No love for I.E.M? "I.E.M have come for your children" is an exceptional album and should be ranked with Wilson's best stuff. The other albums are also worth exploring so this gets my vote. I hope one day this project will get resurrected.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 05:57
Storm Corrosion by a mile.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 13:59
IEM
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 14:10
Not into his solo or side projects except Storm Corrosion so that get's my vote Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 15:07
I suppose Storm Corrosion though I have always been disappointed in his side things.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 18:25
Originally posted by vivoactive vivoactive wrote:

I can't vote since I haven't listened to everything yet, but I do like the title track of the Altamont project ("Altamont"). Nearly 18 minutes of a synth progression. If this is one of his first recordings, he has been a really talented child creating this composition with what he had back then (some sort of a synthesizer). How old was he back then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krE1tET2YXE

He was a mere 15 years old when he recorded the first Altamont album.  The year was 1983 and the album was called "Prayer for the Soul".
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 23:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Oh Yes! closely followed by No-Man   
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply