Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV Shows from 2010 until now

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Choose any favourites (multiple votes enabled)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [3.85%]
1 [3.85%]
1 [3.85%]
2 [7.69%]
1 [3.85%]
1 [3.85%]
1 [3.85%]
2 [7.69%]
1 [3.85%]
2 [7.69%]
2 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.85%]
1 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [7.69%]
4 [15.38%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV Shows from 2010 until now
    Posted: August 18 2018 at 15:40
I'm sure that I am missing lots that I love, especially since I lost my topic when I tried to post it and the site went down again, but these were the first that came to mind. At least I had prepared a list in notepad, but then I thought of more. Please vote for any you like off my list of favourites (and comment on them), and be sure to mention any of your own favourites.

Love to see more of you come up with your own polls as variety is the spice of life.

Edite: Notice that I somehow missed In the Flesh (a great zombie drama that should have been renewed -- Utopia also was sadly axed after the second season).

Edited by Logan - September 11 2018 at 12:52
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 16:15
-Although I hate(d) the title so much that I didn't want to give it a chance The End of the F***ing World won me over. 
-I turned off American Horror Story which you paired it with after about one and a half episode and probably won't watch more. Not my bag it seems.
-Les Revenants started it first season magnificently but finished kind of silly/uninteresting so I haven't kept watching. 
-True Detective first season was kind of magic but the second season annoyed me from the very start and we stopped after three episodes or so. Every single character was over the top tormented and "complex" but I couldn't bring myself to care about any of them.
-Loved the first, flawless season of Stranger Things more than its second that's for sure but will still be watching.
-Fargo gets better and better imo + love their score/use of music.
-Hugely disappointed by what I've seen of Toast of London I'm afraid - very unfunny.
-Handmaid's Tale is uncomfortably excellent as long as i have watched
-Game of Thrones is top notch and well made smart popcorn series.
-and perhaps I could say the same about Westworld - but its labyrinthic storytelling is too complex and occasionally confusing to be "just" popcorn. I seem to like it better than most.
-Wallander is just mediocre crime 
-while the Bridge a little more interesting (but also more annoying at times)
-Top of the Lake is good but well i stopped watching for some reason.  

-That's the ones I've seen all or some of among these.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - August 18 2018 at 16:16
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 17:07
I'm a Game of Thrones fanatic, so, yeah.

For comedy, Vicious is a treat.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 12:42
^ I have seen a little Sid Vicious. No, I have looked into Vicious, still haven't got around to it.

^^ Thanks Saperlipopette! for covering so much. As for Toast of London, it's bit of a guilty pleasure to me, and I can understand someone not finding it funny at all. I can find it cringy, it lacks subtlety, and Toast is not a very likeable character (nor is most everyone in it). I like the music in it, and I appreciate the bonkersness of it (it's quite a ballsy show in a way, that say, My Mother the Car is not -- an old obscurity). Funny depends upon one's background, life experiences, and just general psychology. Ones sense of humour really can tell one a lot about people (both they way they use humour and what they find funny). I can relate to various things in the show, not just because I worked in "the theatre" in the lowly role of "the bartender" mind you (but there are so small performances, only small people). Lots of situations in Toast that I can relate to situations that I've been in and therefor find humour there (so much of what we find humorous is dependent upon the associations that we make).

As for Les Revenants, I liked season/ series two very much, but most didn't hold it in very high regard. There were two story strands that particularly resonated with me (those that involved Pierre and Serge). I found it such a coldly beautiful show (images and atmosphere are important to me, and this show delivered).

I didn't find Westworld too confusing (okay, somewhat in the second season), I just tried to let both seasons wash over me on the whole (though I did do some predicting, some reveals were too obvious and some things don't completely make sense if I thought about it a lot). I did prefer the first season, I adored it, but there were some excellent episodes in the second. I do hope that they don't try to confuse people in the third, and keep it rather more starightforward, but I still want an air of mystery and some puzzle solving.

I'm a little surprised that Utopia (though it can be very disturbing and violent), Real Humans, In the Flesh and Inside No. 9 (even Black Mirror isn't very popular at this site for some reason) don't get more notice in these forums. Perhaps such stuff tend not to appeal to the common "Prog" mindset.

I showed Utopia to a friend, and he found it far too violent, depressing, and disturbing. It can be hard to stomach, so warning are in order if anyone decides to watch it.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 12:49
I've only seen one of these (True Detective) and haven't even heard of most of the other ones.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 13:05
Do mention any favourites of yours not on the list, please. I'd be really interested to see your choices. I do think that you would like Fargo. I am as interested in discovering what other people like as exposing to people to what I like and to discussing what I like. I discovered two of these shows thanks to people mentioning them in other topics. I had more choices at first, but lost that poll when the site went down (I had thought that Twin Peaks was listed again).
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 14:13
I've barely watched any TV in years. The X-Files reboot was pretty good, I haven't seen the new Twin Peaks yet. I was also looking forward to that series about Jack Parsons but from what I've heard it's not very good.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 14:55
Mackenzie Crook's Detectorists is a must-see, hilarious, sensitive, and a nice change of pace as TV goes (even BBC).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 15:02
Netflix has helped me see some great shows in recent years. Black Mirror, Inside No. 9, The Bridge (you've gotta love Saga!), Wallander (both versions), Poldark, Broadchurch, Mr Robot (although I'm hanging in there somewhat now), Doctor Who and Sherlock all get a vote. Still not sure about Star Trek: Discovery, though.

I'd stick in Sons of Anarchy, Line of Duty, Lewis, Endeavour, Unforgotten, Mr Robot and many more which escape my fading memory as I write! Not as much classic comedy compared to earlier decades, though. Red Dwarf has rebooted well, however. Like Upstart Crow too! Maybe there's one more bubbling under somewhere....

Edited by Squonk19 - August 19 2018 at 15:07
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 14:29
Stranger Things....Westworld.....Dr Who...Sherlock...American Horror.....
and also Lewis and Hathaway... and Endeavor Morse....

Edited by dr wu23 - August 20 2018 at 14:30
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 17:17
I personally loved Capaldi's Doctor.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 15:25
The Bridge was pretty cool.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 14:25
Of these, American Horror Story.  Loved the 1st season...hated Asylum...loved Coven, Freak Show, Hotel & Roanoke, loved the first half of Cult with the ironic political commentary, but then it basically turned into a slasher film (the most boring form of horror) and I bailed.  Looking forward to Apocalypse...we'll see how long I stick around.

Not on the list:

iZombie, Acquarius, XFiles reboot, The Dead Files, Walking Dead (until they introduced Negan)...

Edited by The.Crimson.King - September 09 2018 at 14:27
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 12:44
I should have included Walking Dead, I have watched the first four seasons, but I was getting bored with it. I was wanting the story to wrap up. I do tend to prefer mini-series as I can get a bit impatient.

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Netflix has helped me see some great shows in recent years. Black Mirror, Inside No. 9, The Bridge (you've gotta love Saga!), Wallander (both versions), Poldark, Broadchurch, Mr Robot (although I'm hanging in there somewhat now), Doctor Who and Sherlock all get a vote. Still not sure about Star Trek: Discovery, though.

I'd stick in Sons of Anarchy, Line of Duty, Lewis, Endeavour, Unforgotten, Mr Robot and many more which escape my fading memory as I write! Not as much classic comedy compared to earlier decades, though. Red Dwarf has rebooted well, however. Like Upstart Crow too! Maybe there's one more bubbling under somewhere....

I thought that I had included Mr. Robot. I know that I meant to. I like it too. I enjoyed Lewis too, but I have yet to see those others aside from Red Dwarf (not that I've seen much of the re-boot).

I'm going to give some votes: I adore Utopia, Les revenants, Fargo, Inside No. 9, Black Mirror, Misfits, Real Humans, Westworld, Game of Thrones, Stranger Things and others. It may be my favourite decade for TV based on what I know. I'll give votes to some of those which sadly have no votes. I am surprised at how few votes this multiple choice poll got, but I did put it out when the problems with the server were happening, and I don't think that many visit Prog Archives for non-music discussion.

Can't believe that I missed In the Flesh in my poll, that was one of my clear favourites and I've mentioned it here many times. I think I'll edit it in.

Warning: This can be disturbing:

Edited by Logan - September 11 2018 at 12:56
 Post Reply Post Reply