Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Song parts that annoy the wife

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 06:52

Edited by moshkito - November 07 2018 at 14:23
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 12:18
Not ever married, but there have been many times when I've been playing prog, and women (girlfriends, relatives, friends, co-workers, acquaintances, and such) have expressed dislike. Seems to happen with women much more often than men. 
Z
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:41
==============================================

A sure-fire annoyance:

Robert Fripp's crazy 'busy-bee' solo on the song "I Advance Masked". LOL

Works every time. I suppose you could also run around the room frantically as the solo is played, with your hands on your head and two fingers in the air as antennas, for added effect.

Also, Robert Fripp's song "Exposure" with crazy singing by Terre Roche. Shocked

===============================================

Edited by Boojieboy - November 06 2018 at 14:53
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:47
I always tell my wife to play whatever she wants in the car. I get plenty of my own stuff when I'm driving alone. We have some intersecting tastes, but Prog, darker Metal, other weird stuff, she just can't get into. I don't complain. I don't try to make her listen. I just tell her to pick whatever she wants. Her taste isn't horrible, so it's not all bad.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2018 at 14:56
My wife hates Neo-Prog - IQ, Pendragon, Marillion. She hates them all.

But she likes Comedy Of Errors.

Go figure.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 14:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I accompanied my wife to a Lionel Ritchie concert....it was awful...
It's just not a nice way to have a relationship. It's for her and her own enjoyment, and she can see that you didn't like it ... and you then want her to _____________________________________ .... strange, very strange, and Dr Barrett will write a song later!

Actually, at least two wonderful lovers went with and saw Tangerine Dream in LA and Pink Floyd's The Wall, also in LA. Both women, loved music very differently. Shelly was a heavy tripper, and TD fit the bill and she could just close her eyes and moan along and love with it all day. Ingrid was into RLJones and THeads and BRaitt, and some other things, but she was a dancer, and had a solid music "footing". She never said anything weird of bad about any of the music I played or had in my collection and she even listened to a good portion of it. It's possible that she was being polite, but that was not how she was or reacted. I was not a great fan of everything she played, but I never put down their music-ability, which was excellent. I still have the first 5 RLJ albums ... after she went pop, her touch was gone for me.

Edited by moshkito - November 07 2018 at 14:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2018 at 15:43
Read your Website Pedro Very nice Stuff. liked that short Story bout her. Wonder how much of it was Fiction. Would be interesting if this also happens to women who are into prog. Gonna bring a German quote up in a few Days.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 07:38
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Read your Website Pedro Very nice Stuff. liked that short Story bout her. Wonder how much of it was Fiction. Would be interesting if this also happens to women who are into prog. Gonna bring a German quote up in a few Days.

Thanks a whole bunch ... brought a tear to my eye.

All of it is true, except "Adolphus" to a degree since it came from my dreams mostly. The others were true events and feelings.

I kinda live on the edge of my imagination, so to speak. I only write poetry and fiction from dreams and visions, and the past 10 years, is even weirder ... I have written and complete about 3 novels in MY HEAD, and can not even figure out how to sit and write one word about/from them! Go figure!

The films/music reviews is a bit different. Having a terrible time finding foreign film nowadays ... the advent of the internet is nice, but the distribution of the titles to stores disappeared and Amazon and other places only offer top price for them ... which has hurt my ability to keep up with many directors and other new things in film.

The best one of these "stories" is the poem "You are No longer a vision, or a poem" ... for me!
www.pedrosena.com
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 09:00
My girlfriend won't let me play Maudlin of the Well in the car, and has threatened to eat the CD so I can never play it again.

She's no proghead, although strangely she did very much enjoy the King Crimson gig last week.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 09:10
^ I'm a proghead, but I totally understand her reaction.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2018 at 10:04
Everything, especially anything I've written.

Next question ? ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 04:19
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Thanks a whole bunch ... brought a tear to my eye.

All of it is true, except "Adolphus" to a degree since it came from my dreams mostly. The others were true events and feelings.

I kinda live on the edge of my imagination, so to speak. I only write poetry and fiction from dreams and visions, and the past 10 years, is even weirder ... I have written and complete about 3 novels in MY HEAD, and can not even figure out how to sit and write one word about/from them! Go figure!

The films/music reviews is a bit different. Having a terrible time finding foreign film nowadays ... the advent of the internet is nice, but the distribution of the titles to stores disappeared and Amazon and other places only offer top price for them ... which has hurt my ability to keep up with many directors and other new things in film.

The best one of these "stories" is the poem "You are No longer a vision, or a poem" ... for me!

Believe me. My dreams are even weirder. Growing up in the digital age wasnīt easy : D. I would be interested in what you actually mean by written in your head (pm me), that part is a little confusing but sounds fun. I have to re-read that one (You are No longer a vision, or a poem") I am not sure if I read it. Already two or three months passed since I did read some of it. I am actually pretty happy bout the internet because I would have never found out about prog music as a thing. I mean I would probably have heard some pink floyd and genesis (because of my father) but I donīt think I would have extended from that. No way ever finding out about Magma or Cardiacs two of my absolute favourites. I donīt the much about the art of the film.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 04:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

My girlfriend won't let me play Maudlin of the Well in the car, and has threatened to eat the CD so I can never play it again.

She's no proghead, although strangely she did very much enjoy the King Crimson gig last week.

Thatīs a pity. But I like her.
Crimsonsnowdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimsonsnowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 14:27
Except for a few song my wife pretty much dislikes all Prog Rock, especially King Crimson, Zappa, and Captain Beefheart.

I took my wife to a King Crimson concert, and I tried to warn her ahead of time, that King Crimson is not for the weak of heart, musically or lyrically. Except for the song, Islands, she hated every minute of the concert. Months later, my wife asked me what we should do on the weekend. As a joke, I said we could go see a King Crimson concert. She gave me a less than humorous response.
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2018 at 08:39
Wifey and I were driving around a week or so ago, and Scorpions' 'Lonesome Crow' came on in my car...she suffered through the first few songs, until Klaus began just singing "OOOOOHHHH" in parts over and over, to which she stated "That is terrible"...haha!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 06:22

That would be interesting. I'm guessing CDs are hard to digest.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 09:01
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Maudlin of the Well, certainly..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 09:02

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Maudlin of the Well, certainly..

That's a whole new level of hatred...she'd rather eat plastic than hear a band.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 14:51
ehhh...  

for us....anything with steel pedal guitar.. or songs about

mama, trains, trucks, prison.. or getting drunk... hahah.  

I did marry up several social classes..  HeartRaff never has tossed a cigarette in pool of someone's elses blood, drove a muscle car into a tree at 80mph, broken bar stools over peoples heads,  or awakened in a trash dumpster after a night painting the town red.  

Prog really doesn't capture real life man the way old school country does... it's all ivory tower sh*t.. but at least it sounds good for the most part.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 14:47
A few amusing moments with my partner.  And she has accompanied me to many proggish concerts, including Yes, Dream Theater, Steven Wilson.  She enjoyed these, except for Dream Theater (could have been the 'plumber's crack in her face for teh entire show, but one can be sure LOL )She also had Yes, JT, ELP and Kate Bush in her collection before I met her, so she's not the anti-prog.

However, she found Raider II unpleasant and not to be listened to again.
She likes Queen, but Dead on Time she found 'anxiety provoking.'  Ditto for Tesseract.  She decribed Haken as 'w**kery' and doesn't like any growly stuff like Opeth and Cynic, probably the only two growly bands in my collection!  Hates Tool with a passion.  Found DT's The Astonishing 'awfully boring' and she was 100% right about that.

I find her reactions amusing, but for peace sake, I try to spare her the excesses.

Edited by twalsh - December 03 2018 at 14:49
More heavy prog, please!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>