Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Song parts that annoy the wife

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 09:21
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I don't have a wife for obvious reasons, but my late partner used to loathe Brain Salad Surgery and would go to the greenhouse whenever I put it on.
I didn't really like it a lot, but it got me some peace and quiet.

Fantastic answer Clap
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 12:04
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Not married but find it hilarious women seem to take an exception to Frank Zappa!
Any particular part of Zappa's work or just any of it?

Doesn't surprise me at all.  I love the whole FZ catalog and while even the juvenile stuff makes me laugh (kind of like watching South Park), some of the groupie stuff on "Fillmore East, June 1971", "Tinseltown Rebellion" &  "The Man From Utopia" is pretty obnoxious and sort of mean spirited.  I could definitely see my wife rolling her eyes at "Do You Like My New Car?", "Easy Meat", "Fine Girl", "Panty Rap" and "The Jazz Discharge Party Hats" LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 13:18
Just about everything I listen to annoy's my wife.....
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 04:24
My wife is annoyed by any songs that begin with or have extended instrumental parts. I put on Hemispheres by Rush one time and she asked me, "does anyone sing in this song?" LOL

Edited by Jeffro - August 21 2018 at 04:26
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 08:34
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

My wife is annoyed by any songs that begin with or have extended instrumental parts. I put on Hemispheres by Rush one time and she asked me, "does anyone sing in this song?" LOL

Yea, this seems to be a common theme in the rift between men & women regarding prog rock. ( My wife included)  Many ladies do seen to like the instrumental section of songs for some reason. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 09:15
I had to choose between getting married or listening to as music as humanly possible.
I'm very happily single! (and therefore no one to interfere with my mission) LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 09:43
All of it, I'm afraid. About twice a year, she threatens to box up the collection and put it out on the curb.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 16:52
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

All of it, I'm afraid. About twice a year, she threatens to box up the collection and put it out on the curb.

“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 17:04
Riverside's "Loose Heart".

The "raise me up, don't let me fall" bit.

Can't understand why, given that I listen to Opeth, Death and other bands significantly more brutal than Riverside.

But I heard her complain more than once while listening to that particular song
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 03:00
anything remotely free-jazz annoys my GF (anything too shrieky, actually), but she's learned to like (or tolerate) a lot of what I listen to.

I guess I'm a good trainer/teacher Cool

she also really dislikes the whiny neo-prog styled singing (ala Hogarth)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 03:40
Although loving' all kinds of jazz (sans full free blowouts) from Bill Evans to Bobby Hutcherson & Eric Dolphy etc... + Motorik/Space/Krautrock, electronic stuff and post rock in the Tortoise/Talk Talk kind of department - she detests all complex "Nerd prog". I already knew that when I tried Gentle Giant's "Schooldays"... silly me thought it could work as its got a lot of nice jazzy vibes - but to her it's just corny and emotionless geek-music. I think Gentle Giant and the likes is her kryptonite. Early pastoral italian (PFM, Orme, Celeste...), UK-progfolk with dreamy flute and some Canterbury normally gets a pass too. But with the exception of selected King Crimson-tunes (69-74) anything theatrical or pompous also makes her cringe. But hey she digs Rainbow's Stargazer so there's that.

Actually she might very well have better tastes than me.    
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 03:52
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

she also really dislikes the whiny neo-prog styled singing (ala Hogarth)
I like her.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 05:10
Is neo prog defined by whiny vocal style? Or is that a sub genre?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 05:18
Anyway if we have two groups. 1. Prog XX approved and 2. Prog XX incompatible..A release cannot logically be in both of these. THUS if GG nd FZ are placed in group 1. By a wife unit...The wife unit may soon be gender confused and may desire a stickadicktomy...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 05:53
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Is neo prog defined by whiny vocal style? Or is that a sub genre?
Both maybe?

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 10:49
Hi,

Girlfriend I had during UCSB days, liked Talking Heads and Rickie Lee Jones. I had not warmed up to those at that time, being so heavily into the European stuff, but I thought that RLJ was exceptional, and I ended up keeping up with it for a couple more albums that were excellent. And then she ... went "popular", instead of sticking to her independent style ... I haven't bothered since. TH is still very nice to listen to, and a fairly good band all around. 

My girlfriend was into dance big time, and tough music did not bother her, and she once said that she could dance to some of the weird stuff I had, if she got to know it better. I, honestly, have not met another woman that talked about music like that since.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 15:44
Really enjoying this thread and some of the amusing responses!

It's always intrigued me why prog seems to appeal, with exceptions, more to males than to females.  Is there any theory on the reason why?

My partner dislikes prog of any kind, and I get told to turn it off when she's around.

She does come to prog rock concerts with me, but she always wears ear plugs, and she makes a point of telling everyone that she's never listened to anything by the band, to the point that I thought she might get lynched at a Yes concert.
Songs cast a light on you
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 17:35
While the male and female brains are different and respond differently to different things I think in the case of prog(and music in general)it's more about what you grew up with and what you are used to. There are certainly plenty of women out there who like prog/progressive music(maybe not nearly as many as men but they are definitely out there). I think men are just more likely to discover and get into prog because men in general tend to like more rock based music(even though much prog has a lot more than just rock going on in it). If a woman is already a fan of Pink Floyd, Rush or even some metal(not to mention Yes or early Genesis)she's much more likely to appreciate our beloved genre. Anyway, that's my two cents. I'm not married so maybe I have no place to comment but that's my opinion anyway. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 04 2018 at 13:27
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 17:54
^ Not so sure about more men than women liking rock-based music.   It may be more that many men tend toward constantly exploring complicated new things, and many women prefer to find a few things they really like and explore them within those confines.

Though that's probably utter rubbish.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 19:06
^ I made that statement primarily because it seems more women are into dance music, top forty pop and going dancing in general. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>