Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

British Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 14:30
Hi,

I differ from many folks here. I, personally, and I have done a show on the net for 3 years some 17 years ago, am of the opinion that for you to play what everyone ALREADY HAS on their collection is not exactly a proper show of "progressive music", for anyone.  Some think that is what "brings in the audience" with some recognizable music that supposedly attracts the listener, when in fact that is not true, and there are many intelligent folks out there that would rather listen to something completely different, and sometimes totally new, and guess what is missing?

I have seen many times, and heard, how things went in Santa Barbara with Guy Guden, who took a lot of abuse for playing "none of the hits, none of the time", and his show ended up lasting over 20 some years, and is still remembered (long thread on PA) fondly, and he proved that you did not need the "hits" to get anywhere. And his listing of bands, even on the first year (1974) would make the PA's top 100 for that year look childish and ... something that folks that do not listen to music would vote for ... because it was a hit and was well known.

To make your mark out there, you can not do what everyone else does. The question is, do you love the music enough to be able to play something else, rather than the same old song.

Make a difference ... is what gave us the PROGRESSIVE MUSIC and PROG that we love so much ... where do you stand?

(Edit to clean it up better)

Edited by moshkito - August 23 2018 at 04:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 15:30
A guy comes onto PA - maybe with limited knowledge of prog, but a love of rock music - and asks forum members for any recommendations for an hour British prog rock show. Am I missing something, moshkito?

If you are advocating having a blend of well-known and less known tracks, established and new bands and mainstream and experimental, then right one! I'm with you 100%? Let's not undermine the newbies though. Give them time to find their feet before asking them to be our flag bearers for everything new and eclectic in prog. Hook 'em in on the more popular stuff and then let them fly!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 16:02
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

A guy comes onto PA - maybe with limited knowledge of prog, but a love of rock music - and asks forum members for any recommendations for an hour British prog rock show. Am I missing something, moshkito?

If you are advocating having a blend of well-known and less known tracks, established and new bands and mainstream and experimental, then right one! I'm with you 100%? Let's not undermine the newbies though. Give them time to find their feet before asking them to be our flag bearers for everything new and eclectic in prog. Hook 'em in on the more popular stuff and then let them fly!

ClapClap

Come on Mosh, referring to anyone (particularly a new member, making a perfectly reasonable request) as 'Ridiculous and stupid' is harsh. You may have relevant experience and you are certainly entitled to your opinion but how about giving some examples of music rather than harsh and frankly, irrelevant to the topic criticism.. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 16:24
Ok, back on topic..

My list (quickly off the top of my head) for a great British Prog hour-

Family- The Weavers answer
Hawkwind- Assault and Battery/ Golden void
Barclay James Harvest- Medicine man (live 1974)
Genesis- Twighlight Alehouse
Man- Keep on Crinting
Stackeridge- Lummy Days
King Crimson- Exiles
Hatfield and the North- Underdub
National health- Tenemos roads
Roy Harper- The lords prayer or One of these days in England

That's well over an hours material... There's already been some top notch excellent lists posted!

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 19:39
^Nice call on that Hawkwind choice! I'll suggest "Choose Your Masques/Fight Sequence" from Live Chronicles

Wow, no Twelfth Night suggestions? "The Ceiling Speaks" and "We Are Sane" (live versions from Live and Let Live). 

U.K. (Wetton/Jobson/Bozzio) – "Danger Money" and "Nothing to Lose" from Danger Money.

Renaissance – "Midas Man" from Novella.

King Crimson – "One More Red Nightmare" from Red; "Thela Hun Ginjeet" from Discipline.

Uriah Heep – "The Hanging Tree" and "Firefly" from Firefly.

Manfred Mann's Earth Band – "Father of Day, Father of Night" from Solar Fire. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 20:54
Just my opinion but i would NEVER listen to any station that caters to a limited geographical region. Why not just play the national anthem? Everyone already knows that the UK produced the lion's share of classic prog and that it never would've taken off the way it did without them, however some of the best prog didn't occur in the UK once it was established. Just saying. Love you Brexiters but in the 21st century such limitations are boring.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 00:17
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Just my opinion but i would NEVER listen to any station that caters to a limited geographical region. Why not just play the national anthem? Everyone already knows that the UK produced the lion's share of classic prog and that it never would've taken off the way it did without them, however some of the best prog didn't occur in the UK once it was established. Just saying. Love you Brexiters but in the 21st century such limitations are boring.

Which is why I suggested some songs outside the usual crop. I didn't catch if his show is once weekly or daily (weekly, I gather), but there's so much to listen to out there, and I don't really listen to internet radio, so I threw together a list. There are still some poor saps out there who've not heard Twelfth Night! LOL

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 02:21
^ Cool. Maybe limit it to obscure British prog then. I don't think anyone needs introduction to Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, King Crimson etc unless it's something lesser known. Now THAT i'd be into :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 11:56
In any case play some Cardiacs! (Big Ship!!)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 04:49
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Come on Mosh, referring to anyone (particularly a new member, making a perfectly reasonable request) as 'Ridiculous and stupid' is harsh. You may have relevant experience and you are certainly entitled to your opinion but how about giving some examples of music rather than harsh and frankly, irrelevant to the topic criticism.. 

Unlike a lot of folks, not necessarily here, I was exposed to a lot of completely new material of all kinds since my early days, up to and including my own dad that was a pioneer scholar in one area of Literature that started in the California systems, but fell apart when my dad passed away. (Comparative Literature)

The example of Space Pirate Radio, is vastly important, however, not enough folks have any idea what it is, what it was, and what it provided. It was more than just a radio show, per se, and as Guy used to say, it was, sometimes, a ... foreign movie without the subtitles ... and it was heard a lot more than we all know.  Pretty much the same thing happened with my own father, whose efforts are chronicled in many Encyclopedia, and appreciated a lot more than the "fan fare" folks.

New or not, for me, is not the problem, and I'm sure the gentleman knows what he is doing and who he is, to feel criticized by my point,  as much as hoping to hear something different, which (in general) most radio stations can not do, and the Internet side of things is not any better .... just be on on par, aesthetically, with the soul of progressive music.

I'll tell you what is not my cup of tea. This was like so many radio stations looking for songs to play that were about ... a teacher, let's say ... so the DJ looks more cool than the audience that gave him the idea in the first place. AND THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE, BETWEEN SPACE PIRATE RADIO, and the rest of the music shows out there ... GUY was into the music and loved it (no one else would play Klaus Schulze is my bet!), and it showed ... the music was loved most of all! 

DJ's are a dime a dozen ... all I suggested to the guy is ... MAKE A DIFFERENCE ... and for that to happen, suggestions from us are not going to make the difference ... he has to love and appreciate the music, for it to have a positive effect to the listeners ... and in most radio this is hard to find!

Now, do you really want to know how PROGRESSIVE MUSIC got this far? Or if it doesn't matter, why not bury it and no one will know the difference? 

BE PROGRESSIVE ... and a leader in all this ... is what all the groups that we love were all about ... and so are we ... and while I do not wish to temper his thoughts and ideas, I would like to see him develop one that is strictly his own ... and if it were me, not a single suggestion would get touched. Heck, I will likely play THIRD EAR BAND and EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND, just for fun .... OORA! ... or as the lyric said:

Sitting, laughing at the mindless humanoids croaking in their swarm.
While recalling Omar Khayyam. How we changed there in the holy sun high on holding hands.
The pilot crashed with Rupert Brooke they blew together fast on other levels. 
He spoke, softly, opened by the wine. A father pushing fear and looking for redemption.
Someone hurry he thought as the waves rolled their way through concentration. 
It's all too much he seemed to want to say but could not make the necessary juncture.
How he loved the lady by my side. Rococo lady, daughter of the African the westernized.
He is searching for a hole to be in to make himself.
How we changed there in the holy sun high on holding on.
You might be different, I can read it in your sign,
You, you might be something, I can read it in your eyes.

Cheers!

Edited by moshkito - August 23 2018 at 05:01
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 05:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

DJ's are a dime a dozen ... all I suggested to the guy is ... MAKE A DIFFERENCE ... not be like everyone else, and for that to happen, suggestions from us are not going to make the difference ... 
A prog DJ aren't a dime a dozen and will make a difference. Paul can do whatever he likes with our suggestions. Such as discover a great band he wasn't previously aware of and then play it on his radio show so that others will discover them too. I'm certain your hero on Space Pirate Radio discovered and played stuff that he once was recommended/suggested that he should check out. Anyone who just wants to discover and introduce others to some good music doesn't give a sh*t about how or in what order that happened. 

-anyway hope the show will eventually include music from the rest of the world. Here's my hourlong suggestion trying to combine progressive rock from several angles both well known groups and more obscure ones... Just one "newish" tune but this was from top of my head... and I don't know large amounts of new UK-prog I dig. If I was a something of a prog-newbie I'd be blown away: 

Soft Machine - Hibou, Anemone and Bear
East of Eden - Northern Hemisphere
Curved Air - Young Mother
King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon
Henry Cow - Half Asleep Half Awake
Gong - Master Builder
Principal Edwards Magic Theatre - Weirdsong Of Breaking Through At Last
Peter Hammill - Red Shift
Miasma And The Carousel Of Headless Horses - Manticore
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 10:40
Solely British?

Which means no Sloche, Wigwam, Ange, Banco, Can, Focus, Rush, Tangerine Dream, Popol Vuh...

I certainly wouldn't listen to that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 15:42
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Solely British?

Which means no Sloche, Wigwam, Ange, Banco, Can, Focus, Rush, Tangerine Dream, Popol Vuh...

I certainly wouldn't listen to that.

I agree; a multi-national and multi-period selection would be far, far superior listen to a UK only selectionWink

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 17:09
Very true - but as the site is called www.britishmusicrocks.com - maybe a British theme is hinted at somewhat from a brand perspective!

However, if Barbu started a site called www.canadianmusicrocks.com site, I'd tune in! None of this French stuff though!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 19:08
Some mighty and sublime prog have been/is done by the Francophones but I must admit that the Anglo-Saxons are near unbeatable at it.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 20:36
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

... Such as discover a great band he wasn't previously aware of and then play it on his radio show so that others will discover them too. I'm certain your hero on Space Pirate Radio discovered and played stuff that he once was recommended/suggested that he should check out. Anyone who just wants to discover and introduce others to some good music doesn't give a sh*t about how or in what order that happened.

I'm pretty sure that Guy would deny this ... he went great lengths to listen to things before playing them (always did!) and never just "needled" most of his special show, and there might have been suggestions (we were roommates at the start), since it was his record collection and mine that fed huge parts of the show, along with anything new that could be found at Moby Disk and the other "import" record stores at the time over the LA area, although there were also specialty locations that included English comedy by the ton!

The "choices" made by me, or just about anyone else, did not always go very far, specially if Guy had a theme in mind for his show ... for example ... the "Guides of March", was an all Italian show that also featured various comedy bits and satires about Italians, and specially Fellini and Mastroianni! On a week with a birthday for Carl Jung, or Sigmund Freud, it was not going to be missed and comedy bits added to the fun.

The majority of DJ's out there, can not, and do not, do "themes", just a few songs with the same "thought/idea".

Wish I had my listing of the shows I did on the air around 2000 ... I, for the most part featured an artist for more than an hour or so, and only did 3 shows out of some 75 of them (all at least 2 hours long), that did not feature a band or an artist. The opening show was a variety of things, that could be considered "my favorites", but in all honesty, I do not have "favorites", since no music is in competition with any other music in my mind and body ... and this is the part most DJ's miss ... a show about "progressive" can not be a competitive thing ... it has to be a loving thing.

Edited by moshkito - August 23 2018 at 20:37
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 00:42
^ You make no sense to me... because you make no sense. Most of the more or less contemporary bands I genuinely love has been reccomended to me by someone on these boards or from the reviews. My relationship to them I still a loving thing. Logan and I have exchanged countless reccomendations over the years and if that somewhat make our appreciation less "real" to you... I pity you. Btw: I've made countless evenings of five-hour specials weekly - all of them themed. But here's this guy who's run's an internet station wanting to have a weekly prog rock hour on Friday nights. As he is no expert he'd like to gain som input from this forum. Surely a good thing? Possibly a fun task or a challenge? No of course not, not for moshkito who seems to go out of his way to make the poor guy regret he ever asked. 

The way you write your posts its you who is the competitive one. All your posts reeks of wanting to get across that you're best, deepest, smartest and most authentic listener... while the rest of just listen to what's popular. Its a shame that your self-obsessiveness prevents you from noticing that you're surrounded by people that loves music/art just as much and as deeply as yourself. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 07:07
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

The way you write your posts its you who is the competitive one. All your posts reeks of wanting to get across that you're best, deepest, smartest and most authentic listener... while the rest of just listen to what's popular. Its a shame that your self-obsessiveness prevents you from noticing that you're surrounded by people that loves music/art just as much and as deeply as yourself. 

You are grossly incorrect. I stated that he should get into the love of it, and the feel and reasons for the music coming up ... get into the spirit of the thing, is what I said.

Sadly, your comments are more about the less important side/parts of the write up and you totally miss out on the main and most important point.

AGAIN, and I'm sure your friend will agree, NONE OF THESE BANDS WOULD HAVE GOTTEN ANYWHERE, IF ALL THEY DID WAS LISTEN TO SOMEONE ELSE'S SUGGESTION ... and it is that independence, freedom and desire to do things differently that made them what we love so much today.

What is it, about "PROGRESSIVE", that you do not understand? It never was a top of the pops thing, although some things got huge (Roundabout/Lucky Man), the majority of the bands lived by their own feel and thoughts.

Why do you keep on going about this idea that individuality is not allowed today, because the audience will kill you? Prog and Progressive would be dead without it! I live for that artistic ideal ... your idea and opinion makes no difference to me. But you have a problem with someone knowing/feeling something totally different than what you know.

The guy will put together a show for himself ... I have no doubt about that ... but none of his choices and the song that follows will satisfy any of us, and we will end up dismissing him ... I will just as soon he did something completely different and surprise us ... but that scares you because you don't know your hits songs that he would not be playing. Are you really into "progressive music" if you are afraid to hear things you do not know what they are and so different that they shake your inner self?

Make sure you answer that properly, or your progressive spirit is just an idea that will be gone tomorrow for all kinds of reasons, of which the music is no longer meaningful! (... Wink ... besides on the other thread, the wife/significant other does not seem to like it!)

www.pedrosena.com
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 07:11
Robert Wyatt doing Crossover! (Elvis Costello)
Shipbuilding
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 08:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The guy will put together a show for himself ... I have no doubt about that ... but none of his choices and the song that follows will satisfy any of us, and we will end up dismissing him ... I will just as soon he did something completely different and surprise us ... but that scares you because you don't know your hits songs that he would not be playing. Are you really into "progressive music" if you are afraid to hear things you do not know what they are and so different that they shake your inner self?
Christ almighty are you for real? I beginning to think you are some sort of nonsense-generator made specifically for spewing out moronic assumptions about others you know nothing about. But who created you and why? Is there some sort of hidden research team behind this so called "moshkito" taking notes on how people respond maybe? Well their not gonna get any more info from me. And I'm embarrassed having wasted valuable time on this already.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>