Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 7 studio album run

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: What is the best run of 7 consecutive albums?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [3.31%]
1 [0.83%]
2 [1.65%]
29 [23.97%]
13 [10.74%]
7 [5.79%]
6 [4.96%]
7 [5.79%]
8 [6.61%]
3 [2.48%]
3 [2.48%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [7.44%]
18 [14.88%]
11 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 7 studio album run
    Posted: August 21 2018 at 11:02
Yes, I know this is arbitrary so if you want to vote for a band but think the run should start with a later or earlier album you can still vote for it but please specify in comments where it would start and end. Also, I didn't include live albums. I think all these bands are among the most important in prog which is why I chose them. I'm sorry if I left out your favorite(favorites). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 21 2018 at 11:03
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 11:25
I went with Yes but  Genesis, Rush & Floyd all had great runs as well.  
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 11:27
Art Zoyd:  Symphonie pour le jour où brûleront les cités through Nosferatu.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 11:35
1. Genesis  2. Eloy  3. Porcupine Tree  4. Jethro Tull  5. Moody Blues
PROGMATIC
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 11:40
Genesis...Tull...Moody Blues...Gentle Giant.....Yes.....etc
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 11:45
On the list, I suppose Van der Graaf Generator and Pink Floyd, or edit (since I missed it, Gentle Giant).

Not on the list:

- Art Zoyd (really the first eight). Going with Musique Pour L'Odyssée through Berlin (love the debut, but since we have a reworked version I started with the second album) .

- Tangerine Dream: Electronic Meditation to Stratosfear

- Magma: Kobaia to Attahk

- Heldon: Électronique Guérilla to Stand By

- Robert Wyatt (really the first eight), but I'll go with The End Of An Ear to Cuckooland, though I could go with Rock Bottom to Comicopera.

- Miles Davis: Filles De Kilimanjaro to Get Up With It

- Popol Vuh: (first eight really), but I'll go with Affenstunde to Aguirre rather than the better rated In Den Gärten Pharaos to Letzte Tage - Letzte Nächte (either works).

- Univers Zero: 1313 to Rhythmix (Rythmix not as strong imo) and really it's more of a ten album run.

- Present: Triskaïdékaphobie to Barbaro (Ma Non Troppo)

I am tempted to vote other, but I might give a vote to the VdGG run.

With Pink Floyd it's more of an eleven album run for me (I even like More a lot), but I think I would go with The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn to Obscured by Clouds rather than from Atom Heart Mother (I'd have to have Ummagumma and I like earlier Floyd a lot). I do love The Wall, though, so....

EDIT: I will go other for my Art Zoyd choices.

Edited by Logan - August 21 2018 at 11:56
Just a fanboy passin' through.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 11:55
^ I did list Gentle Giant though(right after Genesis).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 11:57
Thanks, my eyes are quite blurry. I can't really complain now when people miss choices in some of my mega option polls.

Edited by Logan - August 21 2018 at 11:58
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 12:01
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

On the list, I suppose Van der Graaf Generator and Pink Floyd.

Not on the list:

- Art Zoyd (really the first eight). Going with Musique Pour L'Odyssée through Berlin (love the debut, but since we have a reworked version I started with the second album) .

- Robert Wyatt (really the first eight), but I'll go with The End Of An Ear to Cuckooland, though I could go with Rock Bottom to Comicopera.

- Popol Vuh: (first eight really), but I'll go with Affenstunde to Aguirre rather than the better rated In Den Gärten Pharaos to Letzte Tage - Letzte Nächte (either works).

- Univers Zero: 1313 to Rhythmix (Rythmix not as strong imo) and really it's more of a ten album run.

- Gentle Giant: Gentle Giant to Free Hand (another where I would call for an eight album run, really).

With Pink Floyd it's more of an eleven album run for me (I even like More a lot), but I think I would go with The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn to Obscured by Clouds rather than from Atom Heart Mother (I'd have to have Ummagumma and I like earlier Floyd a lot). I do love The Wall, though, so....

Picked out most of the ones I'd have mentioned, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd & Magma are really no brainers. 

Especially for Hercules. No mention of King Crimson?
ITCOTCK, ITWOP, Lizard, Islands, LTIA, S&BB, Red

Black Sabbath? s/t, Paranoid, MOR, Vol4, SBS, Sabotage, Technical Ecstasy.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 12:03
this is a really tough one.  I'm not sure I am totally happy with any 7 album run, but Eloy, Moodys and Camel all did a great job.  Going with Camel because none of the albums in their run is what I would call weak.  I wasn't big on Eloy's Floating and Power and the Passion or Moodys On the Threshold of a Dream.  If Eloy's sequence started with Power and Passion and ended with Time to Turn, it might have gotten my vote, but maybe not
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 12:06
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Not on the list:

- Gentle Giant: Gentle Giant to Free Hand (another where I would call for an eight album run, really).

Picked out most of the ones I'd have mentioned, Univers Zero, Art Zoyd & Magma are really no brainers. 

Aside from missing Gentle Giant in the original list, how could I forget to mention King Crimson in my own? In The Court of the Crimson King to Red is an awesome run.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 12:07
^ Well it often was a judgement call on where to start a "run" for these albums. With Camel I thought about starting with the first(same with Yes and VDGG) and also with "inside" for Eloy. I didn't add Caravan because some of the later albums aren't regarded as highly. Same thing with Renaissance, Focus, PFM and Nektar.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 21 2018 at 12:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 12:11

Not on the list:

Aside from missing Gentle Giant in the original list, how could I forget to mention King Crimson in my own? In The Court of the Crimson King to Red is an awesome run.

You know, I deliberately left off ELP but I admit King Crimson is a definite oversight. I could have done ITCOTCK to Red. Shame on me. Wow. Oh well. Maybe I'll do a part two and add them on that poll. As for Sabbath I don't really consider them full on prog but I could put them on the next one(if I do another)anyway. They certainly have some proggy material and imo are very under rated as an influence of prog metal(something they don't seem to get much credit for).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 21 2018 at 12:13
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 12:12
They are in your name AND your avatar!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 12:13
I was thinking with your avatar, choosing that seven album run by King Crimson might have proved difficult.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 12:14

They are in your name AND your avatar!

I know. It's crazy. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 12:15

I was thinking with your avatar, choosing that seven album run by King Crimson might have proved difficult.

So obvious I missed it I guess. 
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 12:15
Eloy and Jethro Tull
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 12:55
Voted for VdGG ahead of GG.

Sorry just stole those from your post that are the essentials for me + the later discussed KC of course. Also Klaus Schulze - Cyborg to Mirage (skipped Irrlicht only so that I could include the latter album) and very few have discovered just how excellent each Rabih Abou-Khalil-album from Between Dusk and Dawn to Tarab really is.

Then there's the progrelated Electric Light Orchestra On the Third Day to Time & Steely Dan Can't Buy a Thrill to Gaucho 

+ I would have started with Camel's debut and stopped with I Can See Your House from Here 

I love all ten first albums by The Residents and don't know where I would start or end:

Meet The Residents
The Third Reich 'n Roll
Fingerprince
Not Available
Duck Stab/Buster & Glen
Eskimo
The Commercial Album
Mark of the Mole
The Tunes of Two Cities 
Intermission

Edited by Saperlipopette! - June 01 2019 at 01:11
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 13:46
VDGG
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>