Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Anderson and the Beatles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 21:51
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Yet Zappa covered I am the Walrus on his '88 tour...don't recall him ever covering the Shaggs LOL

Well, that's an impossible.

You had to be a genius out of this world to cover this girls, they are so bad that it's impossible to cover them.

I remember an anecdote.

A guy who recorded them, said the two sisters were playing the same song and both almost always played two different notes simultaneously, normally one is correct and the other is wrong, but in this case both were wrong. But the funny thing is that Dot Wiggins  made a scandal and shouted her sister for playing a wrong note.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 11:58
I haven't read all postings here so maybe it's already mentioned, but I found something in an interview with Ian that gives a different spin on Ian Anderson vs. the Beatles.
Apparently Anderson had put some money into Monty Python's Holy Grail, and he says this:

"My only regret is that Life of Brian, which was I think a bigger, more important movie than Holy Grail, we didn’t get the opportunity to invest in, because somebody told a little fib to Pythons and put up all the money, and we were excluded from the funding of Life of Brian. Traditionally in the theater, the term “angel” is the one that’s used for coming to the rescue and putting up the money for a production, and if that production is successful then traditionally you get offered the follow-up. You know, you become an investor is somebody’s life and career and commercial and artistic success, and you’re invited to participate again if it’s successful. And unfortunately we were not able to do that, so I, for one, was a bit pissed off about it. But I know for a fact that the Pythons were told a fib, because I spoke to John Cleese about it some years later and he was quite surprised that he’d been told that none of the original investors wanted to participate again. When I asked him who told him, then it became clear that a bit of subterfuge had gone on.

JM: You’re being very coy – I assume you don’t want to name who told the fib?

IA: Well, if he was alive today then I certainly would mention his name, because I feel angry about it. But I think we’ll leave the dead to their own memories that we prefer to have about them."

It's well known that The Life of Brian was funded in the first place by George Harrison.

Obviously his (lack of) appreciation of the music of the Beatles may not have been affected by this... but who knows?

Edited by Lewian - February 06 2019 at 11:59
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 12:56
I'm not surprised at all.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 17:42
^ If you want to hear more about what a wonderful guy George Harrison was, try googling Bernie Krause talks about George Harrison.
George ripped him off big time. Basically Harrison recorded a Krause synthesizer demonstration and then Harrison put it on his (George's) album.

Krause ultimately added Moog parts to five Lomax songs, recorded at Sound Records Studio in Los Angeles in November 1968. Intrigued, Harrison asked him to further explore the instrument after the Lomax sessions concluded. Krause later contended that this demonstration, recorded in the early hours of Nov. 12, was subsequently edited down to become "No Time or Space" on Electronic Sound.
"As I showed him the settings and gave some performance examples, Harrison seemed impressed with the possibilities. I had no idea at the time exactly how impressed he was," Krause wrote in his book Into a Wild Sanctuary: A Life in Music and Natural Sound. "Had I been aware that he was recording my demonstration, I would have never shown examples of what [I was] considering for [my] next album."
Krause didn't have the funds to take on the Beatles. "Although I did get credit on the inside jacket, along with his cats, I never did receive a single quid," Krause wrote. "His refusal to acknowledge the source where he acquired the expropriated material left me frustrated and angry, but also with a feeling of powerlessness."

Edited by Easy Money - February 06 2019 at 17:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567