Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Anderson and the Beatles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ian Anderson and the Beatles
    Posted: August 21 2018 at 23:51
During the interview with Rick Wakeman, Ian Anderson revield a shocking revelation. That he was not or never was a very much fan of the Beatles. I found that to both be "like what!" But also a respectful thing to say. To hear one whom were living in Britain whom were part of the same cultural boom of rock of 60s and 70s but whom utters a dislike/distance towards the Beatlemania. He stated he had other interest, more into the whole blues thing. He was more of a Rolling Stones follower.

I find such to be refreashing. Are there other children/musicians o 60s/70s whom felt alienated by the Beatles and the mania it caused.

Edited by Icarium - August 21 2018 at 23:53
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 23:57
One final question that we always ask: what is your favourite Beatles album?

Wow, you got me there because I was never really a Beatles fan. I suppose it would be Sgt Pepper’s, because of the landmark it represented in pop music and rather like in the same year, Pink Floyd’s The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. They were the life-changing musical moments for a generation and although I wasn’t a Beatles fan, I guess I learnt something from Sgt. Pepper’s in terms of variety, of the rather surreal nature of it, that was quite laudable. George Martin was a friend of mine (I didn’t know the Beatles at all) and his role in all of that is very important. I like to think ofSgt. Pepper’s as the album that could not have been made with another producer, it had to be George. He was Beatles no.5, he was actually probably Beatles no.3! He was a very special guy and helped to bring together those very opposite personalities and musical backgrounds.

http://indeflagration.fr/in-english/ian-anderson-jethro-tull-interview/

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 02:17
This doesn´t suprise me at all. In the sixties there were lines between Beatles & Stones-fans, although of course there were people, specially in the end of sixties that loved both. When I was about 4-5 years old, I listened Beatles red double much and really liked it. But when I heard Stones first time, it really hit me. There was a period in my life, when I respected only after Help Beatles-albums, but in the nineties I bought also their early albums and have liked them too since then. But still if somebody asks Stones or Beatles it´s Stones for me. Also I think George was really important to them already in the beginning.

Revolver is my favourite from them.

Edited by Mortte - August 22 2018 at 02:18
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 02:21
"Revield a revelation"..

I don't understand why someone would be surprised about that. If you understand the fact that people have different tastes, interests and they like different things, what is there to be surprised about? It is not like you are obligated to like something just because the majority likes it.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 02:54
I'm not surprised, either...

I was more of a Stones fan (they were "rockier") for three decades myself, though I must say that it's about equal now.

Fave Beatles album: Abbey Road by a wide margin >> Second would be Let It Be or Sgt Pepper or Revolver

Fave Stones album: Let It Bleed Second fave: Some Girls or Ya-Ya's Out.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 03:16
I have always preferred the Beatles over the Stones, more than a bit.

Favourite Beatles albums:
Revolver > Sgt. Pepper's > The Beatles = Abbey Road

The only Stones album I have heard in its entirety was Their Satanic Majesties Request, which is pretty good but behind these four Beatles albums.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 03:59
I love the Stones but they were the followers, not the trend setters. A Hard Day's Night, Help, Rubber Soul, Revolver, MMT, White Album and Abbey Road are all tied, to me, as favorite Beatles' albums.

Edited by SteveG - August 22 2018 at 04:03
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 05:18
Not a massive surprise as early Tull was more blues-based and the Stones were a blues band. Surprisingly not everyone likes the Beatles.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 07:53
And as a Beatles fan this now explains why I can only listen to some and not complete pieces by Jethro Tull!

Edited by AZF - August 22 2018 at 07:54
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 08:15
I heard a Zappa interview where he was asked about the Beatles & he said they were "OK"( implying they were not great in his tone) Frank said he was much more of a Stones fan.

(Ironic side note , Eleanor Rigby just popped up on my play list as I was typing this!)

Edited by Argo2112 - August 22 2018 at 08:15
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 08:59
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

And as a Beatles fan this now explains why I can only listen to some and not complete pieces by Jethro Tull!

Ditto. :-)

That interview is rather entertaining, though maybe in the wrong way. Ian comes across as a complete bore, self centered and pompeous, and he talks and talks and talks... while Rick sinks deeper and deeper into his armchair and seems to have a problem staying awake. :-D

It's such a complete opposite to the other two available interviews, the ones with the two charming and humourus gentlemen, Jon Lord and Brian May.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 10:53
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I have always preferred the Beatles over the Stones, more than a bit.

Favourite Beatles albums:
Revolver > Sgt. Pepper's > The Beatles = Abbey Road

The only Stones album I have heard in its entirety was Their Satanic Majesties Request, which is pretty good but behind these four Beatles albums.

My case also, though I would put the White Album instead of revolver, which I also love. Not much into the Stones, and I also only have Their Satanic Majesties Request. I like some of their songs, but not entire albums.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 11:17
I love the Beatles & the Stones, though I love all the Beatles albums where the Stones didn't really get interesting to me until Aftermath in '66.  As far as Ian Anderson liking the Stones much better, it makes perfect sense as he was a blues guy.  I always felt like the Beatles were cooler, but the Stones were badder Wink 

Edited by The.Crimson.King - August 22 2018 at 11:20
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 12:53
was never a big fan of either but at least the Stones had stones
I always find it refreshing when I meet someone who is meh towards the Beatles.  They just never spoke to me much other than when I was 4 and I heard "I wanna hold your hand"

Edited by kenethlevine - August 22 2018 at 12:54
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 13:01
I was a teenager in the 60s and never liked either The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. I've never owned an album by either of them.

My taste in 60s non-prog rock was Creedence Clearwater Revival, Fleetwood Mac, The Yardbirds and Cream. Later, I got into Rory Gallagher.

I would rate Cosmo's Factory way ahead of anything by The Beatles and The Stones
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 13:36
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Ditto. :-)

That
interview is rather entertaining, though maybe in the wrong way. Ian
comes across as a complete bore, self centered and pompeous, and he
talks and talks and talks... while Rick sinks deeper and deeper into his
armchair and seems to have a problem staying awake. :-D

It's
such a complete opposite to the other two available interviews, the
ones with the two charming and humourus gentlemen, Jon Lord and Brian
May.
the interviee with Iommi is also good.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 15:00
If you take into consideration the early blues based aspect of the early Jethro Tull albums(especially the first one)that makes sense. The Rolling Stones were much more into the blues than the Beatles. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 06:53
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I was a teenager in the 60s and never liked either The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. I've never owned an album by either of them.

My taste in 60s non-prog rock was Creedence Clearwater Revival, Fleetwood Mac, The Yardbirds and Cream. Later, I got into Rory Gallagher.

I would rate Cosmo's Factory way ahead of anything by The Beatles and The Stones
My earliest musical non-prog passions were The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Creedence (sometime was my favourite band), the Yardbirds, Cream, John Mayal Bluesbraikers, Derek & the Dominos, the Doors, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Taste, J.J. Cale, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Free, Faces, the Sweet, Dr. Feelgood, Nazareth, Led Zeppelin & Deep Purple. Still love those all.

Edited by Mortte - August 23 2018 at 06:55
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 08:08
I think it's easy (but of course erroneous) to assume that 'everyone' loved the Beatles because they were such a phenomenon. 

My parents had some Beatles albums when I was very young (born in'67). They will forever be imprinted on my brain as my first favorite band. Other than a few songs, I never cared much for the Rolling Stones. Looking back on the two bands now, the Beatles just appeal to me far more as an inventive, proto-prog (in parts) band instead of yet another blues based band. Nothing wrong with blues or blues based just that it doesn't resonate with me as much. Beatles music is more interesting and varied and that's definitely part of the appeal.

Edited by Jeffro - August 23 2018 at 08:09
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 09:48
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I was a teenager in the sixties and loved  the Beatles and the Stones. Ironic, isn't it?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>