Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can Antony Kalugin do no wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can Antony Kalugin do no wrong?
    Posted: August 22 2018 at 09:02
The new Sunchild album marks the 18th album by Antony Kalugin... Sunchild, Karfagen, and Hoggwash.  Almost all are highly rated on Progarchives. I can't think of any other artist who has achieved that.  Strange that his name isn't yet a household name among proggers.  Anyone?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 09:22
The two Hoggwash albums aren't particularly highly rated on here. Both are under 3.60. I think Karfagen has some that aren't very highly rated too. Not sure. Anyway, I'm sure he deserves to be more well known but so do a lot of people. Not everyone can be a Steven Wilson, Roine Stolt, Neal Morse, Arjen Lucassen, Devin Townsend or whoever. 
Lamneth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 09:36
3.5 ain't bad in my book considering that most people here are quite conservative with ratings. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 10:57
I personally like his music, and since ratings don't really mean much to me, I had no idea he is not very well rated on PA. Good music, that I enjoy very much.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 18:31
Antony is prolific and a true fountain of ideas but I've encountered a consistent amount of poor sound and engineering choices as well as many (too many for my taste) obvious derivatives of other past musics. A neo prog genius and collector of consistently superior musicians to collaborate with, he is so close to that level of "modern masters" mentioned above, but not there. Yet. (Just my opinion, of course.) 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 07:00
I liked the first Karfagen album but the second one was a bit bland for me, I haven't listened to any more since.
 Post Reply Post Reply