Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avenged Sevenfold for Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avenged Sevenfold for Prog Metal
    Posted: August 23 2018 at 03:56
Sorry if the topic has already been discussed, I haven't seen it on the forum.
I'm quite surprised Avenged Sevenfold are not on PA, even in the prog-related category.

The band has successfully achieved a coherent mixture of traditional and modern metal, including elements of other genres (symphonic, music-hall...).

To me, they're much more innovative than most of the "so-called" prog metal bands. Furthermore, there are already side-projects from A.S. members on PA.

Edited by Modrigue - August 23 2018 at 04:03
Shrek the Progre View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrek the Progre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 09:20
Ill be honest that I took this as another uninteresting metal band that plays on the radio, but the first track especially had some great moments. Still I'm sure this band has been submitted before, and a new evaluation request will need be based on a new album (and a lot of argumentation/discussion given the background of the band)
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 14:59
I would be surprised if they got added given their history but it seems they have not been evaluated (strangely enough)

The first track is interesting but we would need a full album to evaluate as scattered "innovative" modern metal samples won't do the trick.

Can you suggest an album for us for starters? Thanks 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 15:09
After enduring their cliched metal sound for many years as my teenage son blasted out their albums in the next room (forcing me to put on headphones for my more subtle prog!) and ferrying him and my daughter to a concert at the Metro Arena, Newcastle a couple of years ago - I actually listened to 'The Stage' soon after and thought - actually, that is not too bad - very Dream Theater/Iron Maiden in places and quite listenable.

Maybe it needs more than one album's output before they move into the Prog Metal genre - but their next release might say more about them. Just a thought. Maybe put them on a 'watch' list?

Edited by Squonk19 - August 23 2018 at 15:11
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 15:25
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Can you suggest an album for us for starters? Thanks 

The self-titled and their last one, "The Stage".
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 10:03
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I actually listened to 'The Stage' soon after and thought - actually, that is not too bad - very Dream Theater/Iron Maiden in places and quite listenable.

Maybe it needs more than one album's output before they move into the Prog Metal genre - but their next release might say more about them. Just a thought. Maybe put them on a 'watch' list?

Sums up my thoughts, not there yet but surprisingly different to what I was expecting. I am waiting for some team feedback on this
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 12:23
I don't know much about that band except that they have the alternative/hard rock tag from their past releases. The new album is supposed to be their most ambitious album. I took the time to listen to most of this album. I think they still have their past influence but maybe with more prog tendencies. The songs are well crafted, definitely some good metal music, but I'm on the fence to decide if it's prog or not. I am going to listen again the whole thing soon.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2018 at 01:13
I also recommend to listen to their 2007 self-titled album.

They've not tried innovative mixtures only recently ;-)
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 18:55
Nightmare is a very good album and prog-metal related having Mike Portnoy on drums on all songs. Save Me is the song with the most prog-metal tendencies

Edited by DarkTower - August 27 2018 at 18:58
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 20:19
Unfortunately the side project from the Rev was always better than the main band imo, even if they just released one demo.

That little piece of heaven song is interesting, though I think the mixing of cabaret style into rock or metal context a la dresden dolls doesn't really necessitate an add on this site.

I'm not sure I would consider their new album proggier than the proggiest Maiden stuff and while Iron Maiden is on the site, Maiden has influenced many prog/progmetal bands. (also, I tried my best to like it but I found myself cringing a ton - I might not be a good person to talk to about this.)

I would honestly wait 1 more album and see which direction they head before thinking about inclusion, but I'm not on any prog teams so it isn't up to me!

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 12:39
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

After enduring their cliched metal sound for many years as my teenage son blasted out their albums in the next room (forcing me to put on headphones for my more subtle prog!) and ferrying him and my daughter to a concert at the Metro Arena, Newcastle a couple of years ago - I actually listened to 'The Stage' soon after and thought - actually, that is not too bad - very Dream Theater/Iron Maiden in places and quite listenable.

I think the watch list is the best way to go about this. I know the criteria is that a band has to have at least one "entirely prog" album to make it to the list (and I do consider The Stage a prog metal album), but Avenged Sevenfold is a tougher one to consider when given their musical history. Also, the fact that it's not always advisable to be overzealous about calling a group prog just based on a new album that happens to be more progressive, as we don't know if their career trajectory will continue to reflect this shift. With that said, however, if a poll were to be created, I'd be happy to vote "yes" for the band to be included. As I stated, I do see The Stage as a legit prog effort, and past albums such as Waking the Fallen and City of Evil had quite a few prog touches - such as nonlinear song structures, classical/orchestral elements, superb musicianship, etc. So I guess we'll see what happens. :)

Edited by Necrotica - November 26 2018 at 12:40
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 22:18
So it looks like the next album is set to come out in the first half of 2022. I'm quite curious to see if it continues the prog metal direction of The Stage; if it does, we might potentially have a Katatonia-type situation on our hands Wink

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 03:06
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

So it looks like the next album is set to come out in the first half of 2022.

Welp, looks like that didn't end up happening Ouch

bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 06:09

I mean there are still another 7 days left in Q2 of 2022... who knows, maybe it'll be another spontaneous drop like their last release on June 30th Wink

We should still wait for the next album drop to review them. I would definitely like to see them in "prog related"
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 15:14

Well mixing will be done in August. They say at this point it will be late 2022 or early 2023.

https://loudwire.com/avenged-sevenfold-updated-timeline-2022-2023-release-new-album/

Not a fan of Andy Wallace. I do not like how tinny and muffled his mixes sound, although I do appreciate his attempt at allowing for high dynamic range. He still beats Jens Bogren for sure, so there's that at least.

It sounds like this will be very avant-garde, although I'm unsure Matthew's voice will suit the 78-piece orchestra very well. Maybe unless they do something like A Little Piece of Heaven, but considering their more mature style now, that doesn't seem plausible either. However, I can see how an orchestra may fit into something like Sunny Disposition, which sounds like the direction they're heading. Definitely interested to see where they go...

Edited by bardberic - July 09 2022 at 15:19
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 14:04
So it looks like they'll be dropping it this year: https://loudwire.com/avenged-sevenfold-release-new-album-2023/

I'll do the submission. It'll be a hard one, but I'm preparing it.

That is unless they f**k it up and do another f**king "Hail to the King"

Edited by bardberic - January 21 2023 at 14:07
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 16:35
Yeah, I really hope they continue the direction they took with The Stage; they entered such ambitious territory with that one, especially with the concept and execution of the closer. Here's hoping they don't regress back into Black Album-era Metallica worship LOL

bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2023 at 21:17
I don't see that happening since they allegedly have a 78-piece orchestra (and they keep talking about it lol)

I'm expecting something in the pseudo-progressive symphonic avant-garde metal territory, along the lines of Diablo Swing Orchestra - either that or they're going full Dream Theater. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Unless their "Metallica worship" is worshipping their S&M live albums, I doubt they'd need the said alleged 78-piece orchestra for that LOL
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2023 at 16:13
Well we have it, June 2nd, 2023. That's the drop date... a year later than we'd hoped, but nevertheless it's going to be here:

Edited by bardberic - March 17 2023 at 16:52
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2023 at 16:22
Here's their single, "Nobody." Frankly, I do not know what to make of it - indeed it is bold, but no more so than it is dull. This is pretty much exactly what I thought the sound was going to be like, but I thought it would have been a lot more interesting than this, honestly - the whole song was a drag, and they definitely took a risk with this one. A lot of people have complained about production here, but frankly, I think it's a considerable step up from The Stage, but the vocal work is less than satisfactory, imo. Prog, idk know about. Avant-garde? Definitely! It is indeed interesting to see how this will fit into the rest of the album... the whole thing will either be one prog opus, with this avant-garde alternative metal fitting into it nicely, or the whole album will be... well, this. The band had two options after The Stage - either refine and hone-in on the sound they created then, which did indeed need some improvement, or push their boundaries further into uncomfortable territory for them, and it seems like they chose the latter. Although with other songs like A Little Piece of Heaven, I'd thought they could handle this symphonic avant-garde sound well. Hopefully this is just a fluke, but that's not to say there are no redeeming factors here. For one, the animation is really vibrant and interesting, the guitar solo is really good (and I'm not usually the type to care for solos), and the atmospheric qualities are utilized well. I also think they nailed the engineering, here. The song does not sound tinny and compressed, like The Stage, but there's still enough dynamism that there's very little clipping, as opposed to their work before The Stage... frankly, I'd say it's their best engineered album (if the whole thing sounds like this) thus far, and actually a great example of how to engineer a metal song in 2023 (which most metal bands STILL can't seem to figure out). It's just a bit meandering and repetitive for me, without enough direction.

I'd say it's a 50/50 chance this album could land them in the Progarchives based off of this, and I'm not too optimistic.

Edit: I also LOVE the new art direction they're heading in for this album! Look at this adorable new deathbat... LOOK AT IT! LOL

Edited by bardberic - March 17 2023 at 16:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>