Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie
    Posted: August 24 2018 at 07:22
Hi. This forum seems to have some life so that looks good. And it even let me post on some topics. How long to clear all areas?

Bands:
Wigwam et al (Finland)
Tull
Genesis
Rush
Metal to some extent, Mokoma for instance

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 07:37
Welcome.
Please get to like Japanese outfits too. Hug
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 10:43
^ Who wouldn't like Japanese outfits, Keishiro?

;)

Though I prefer the geisha style.

Seriously, there are indeed lots of great acts from Japan and around the world.

Welcome, Tero. It used to be 40 posts, but now it may be 40 points. Shouldn't take long if you're a chatty type with an interest in various sorts of topics here, and if you don't prepare really long, very time-consuming posts, of course. There are plenty of places to build up post-count quickly here. I gave you a thanks in this topic, and that doubled your point count.

I particularly like Wigwam out of your list, be the way.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 11:10
Welcome Tero1!

I think it is 40 posts as I have just passed that milestone and been awarded an extra star and been promoted to "Forum Groupie"! 

I am now able to vote in the forum polls which is quite exciting

I've no idea what the next level in the hierarchy is or how you get there.

Presumably you eventually get called "Prog Lord" and get to wear a cape like Rick Wakeman?

Anyway, hope you have fun here...
Songs cast a light on you
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 11:21

Presumably you eventually get called "Prog Lord" and get to wear a cape like Rick Wakeman?

Anyway, hope you have fun here...
[/QUOTE]

I want to wear the cape!LOLLOL
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 11:37
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

I've no idea what the next level in the hierarchy is or how you get there.

An easy 100 posts will add the third star (forum senior). And remember that it's only when you reach the fourth star or Honorary status that you're truly becoming someone here and you'll have to stop talking or replying to everything that is below your rank.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 12:41
Welcome! Really great you mention Wigwam first (my favourite prog band).
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 19:14
Thanks Mortte. I have some contact with Wigwam and keep up with events. I have talked to Jim once at length. Only managed to see Wigwam in 1971 and 2003 or so.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 20:17
Welcome. 

Cheers! Beer
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2018 at 23:26
Originally posted by Tero1 Tero1 wrote:

Thanks Mortte. I have some contact with Wigwam and keep up with events. I have talked to Jim once at length. Only managed to see Wigwam in 1971 and 2003 or so.
Oh, wow, that 1971 must have been really great experience! First time I saw them was their first reunion 1991 in Provinssirock, after that I saw two gigs, last year I saw one Wigwam Revisited gig. I become a fan in the eighties accidentally (no-one really listened Wigwam or prog in the eighties in Finland). Last year I talked shortly with Jukka Gustavson and that was a glory moment in my Wigwam fanship. Although I like all the Wigwam stuff, I think their greatest years were 1969-1974. Their later bands haven´t much played songs from those years, the ones I know were Must Be the Devil, Luulosairas, Tombstone Valentine, Losing Hold, Lost Without a Trace, Maestro Mercy & Marvelry Skimmer (Friends from the Field). I really hope in those future gigs come more from those years, at least Jukka said in interview they have rehearsed 24 songs through their career.
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2018 at 06:20
I actually remember a very strange band in 1971. I had one single from Wigwam, the first one. It had guitar on it. Then I see Gutsi and Jim behind keyboards at Rusirock, only Pohjola standing. It was weird, but as the set got along, the crowd was getting more into it. I can't say I recall much, but I have that exact gig on tape, well, CDR, it was recorded by the radio. It was mostly covers.

I then only managed to see Pohjola one more time, where he and Tommi Parkkonen backed a blues singer from Chicago booked for Pori Jazz 1975. 

I've lived in the US since high school age, from 1970 on. Spent a few summers in Finland early 70s.
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2018 at 12:08
Welcome Tero1, from another newbie. :) 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2018 at 13:39
Originally posted by Tero1 Tero1 wrote:

I actually remember a very strange band in 1971. I had one single from Wigwam, the first one. It had guitar on it. Then I see Gutsi and Jim behind keyboards at Rusirock, only Pohjola standing. It was weird, but as the set got along, the crowd was getting more into it. I can't say I recall much, but I have that exact gig on tape, well, CDR, it was recorded by the radio. It was mostly covers.

I then only managed to see Pohjola one more time, where he and Tommi Parkkonen backed a blues singer from Chicago booked for Pori Jazz 1975. 

I've lived in the US since high school age, from 1970 on. Spent a few summers in Finland early 70s.
Yes, Nikke Nikamo left the band in 1970, they tried to ask Jukka Tolonen to join and he played in some gigs, but not left from his own band Tasavallan Presidentti. So Wigwam was without guitarist 1970-73, when they asked Rekku to join. I have got picture Jim started play electric piano in the gigs later than 1971, I tried to find information about that Ruisrock gig, but didn´t find. So maybe he really was behind keyboards already that time and not just vocalist.

I am glad I saw Pohjola three times in the nineties (also with one song in XL-gig), all those gigs were just great!
 Post Reply Post Reply