Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Unread" posts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Unread" posts
    Posted: August 27 2018 at 19:01
Seems to reset for me at some stage every 24 hours too if I happen to be online at the time (I think it was 10:00 PM EST; don't know what that is on the site time), leaving everything as read. 
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 11:13
It doesn't seem consistent at all. Some of the threads remain bold even after I click on them, they may be bold on the front page but not on the subforum page etc.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 14:28
#1 happens to me all the time.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2018 at 12:02
I'm not sure whether this is a bug, or just eccentric design?

As a n00b, I've found it quite impossible to find my way around the vast abundance of forums. So I've posted here and there and revisited a few topics. There are two things I've noticed that don't seem right compared to other forums I'm used to:

1. Topics where I've posted : I would expect 'New posts' to reflect any posts added since I last clicked into that particular topic. Yet several times I've noticed that the latest unread post in a particular topic (as marked by the forum) has posts before it that I also haven't read! It's almost as if (I don't know for sure if this is the case) the "unread" posts are only those since I last visited the entire website, rather than those since I last clicked in that particular topic. If that is the case, it needs changing surely? It's the posts you haven't read since clicking in that topic that matter.
  2. In any given forum, sometimes none of the topics are in bold, i.e. there are apparently no new posts. But if I look down the right hand side, it tells me for each topic when the last post was, and who by. Yet some of those show that the last post was by "Xxxxxx, 21 hours ago" (for example) - that's SINCE I last visited. Shouldn't that now be a topic in bold?

What I'm saying here is that the 'last post' and 'unread posts' situation doesn't seem to work. At least, not the way that I personally would find useful and relevant.

One further footnote - I keep the site open in a tab though I am not able to visit every day. Each night I quit my browser and next day when launched, it opens all windows and tabs from the previous session (including all forum sites I regularly like to visit). If a member of any forum, I always check 'Keep me logged in' where that is an option.

Edited by TiddK - August 26 2018 at 11:29
 Post Reply Post Reply