Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed
    Posted: August 30 2018 at 04:31
For me, I don't believe that Renaissance's classical orchestration would have happened had not the Moody Blues come out first with DOFP in 1967 and having a re-emergence in 1972, one year before the release of Ashes Are Burning. Possible influence or not, what's you take on Days of Future Passed, more then 50 years after it was first released?

Edited by SteveG - August 30 2018 at 11:00
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 07:26
I love the album, some great songs (Tuesday Afternoon!) and some very cheesy orchestral sections. Not quite the orchestra/rock band merger and it's mainly songs with orchestral bits in between.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 07:44
"Aches are Burning"?  When did Renaissance write about arthritis?
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 07:48
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I love the album, some great songs (Tuesday Afternoon!) and some very cheesy orchestral sections. Not quite the orchestra/rock band merger and it's mainly songs with orchestral bits in between.
Exactly so. Its hardly any fusion of band + orchestra to be found and I think it would be a stronger album without those kitschy "light classical" interludes. But the actual songs are all wonderful.  
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 08:06
On an emotional level I can't connect that well to most songs on this album, but I find that the whole thing is put together in a very creative and tasteful manner, particularly the orchestral interludes. Despite the changes in instrumentation and approach it feels very organic to me. One can call the orchestral sections cheesy night and day but they work well together with these songs, so I find this combination fresh and inspiring. Surely it has taught some people about what can be done with band and orchestra, and be it by enticing them to go further.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 11:00
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

"Aches are Burning"?  When did Renaissance write about arthritis?
Angry Damn auto correct! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 11:03
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

On an emotional level I can't connect that well to most songs on this album, but I find that the whole thing is put together in a very creative and tasteful manner, particularly the orchestral interludes. Despite the changes in instrumentation and approach it feels very organic to me. One can call the orchestral sections cheesy night and day but they work well together with these songs, so I find this combination fresh and inspiring. Surely it has taught some people about what can be done with band and orchestra, and be it by enticing them to go further.
I have a similar take. The sum is greater than the parts but what a sum it is!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 11:10
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Exactly so. Its hardly any fusion of band + orchestra to be found and I think it would be a stronger album without those kitschy "light classical" interludes. But the actual songs are all wonderful.  
I agree with you both on the lack of a fusion, but at least DOFP had orchestral sections that sounded like movements and has a type of finale. And that's more than what Renaissance did with their "orchestras".

Edited by SteveG - August 30 2018 at 11:12
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 11:26
Also I havenīt ever liked a lot about orchestral sections, to me they sounds quite typical of the time in not very serious classical music (mean to be light music in the back of some tv serie etc.). I think those orchestral sections is the reason why I prefer Moodies next four album instead of Days, although all the songs are really great.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 11:36
I like the album, I prefer the way that The Who's Tommy (1969) was orchestrated (and better yet, the arrangements for the Atom Heart Mother suite). Keith West's Excerpt from a Teenage Opera in 1967 is interesting.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 11:36
yeah the orchestral sections to DOFP are cheesy but damn it, I love it! Tongue

Edited by SteveG - August 30 2018 at 11:38
MrMHead View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 19:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I like the album, I prefer the way that The Who's Tommy (1969) was orchestrated (and better yet, the arrangements for the Atom Heart Mother suite). Keith West's Excerpt from a Teenage Opera in 1967 is interesting.

Gotta agree with AHM!

I was more of an "In Search Of .." fan, but DOFP was a definite early influence
No Civilization here. Tried it on but it would not fit.
Seems only a thin veneer. A little rubbing and it comes off quick.
- The Bears
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 20:34
DoFP is one of my all-time favorites. If there is such a thing as beauty in rock music, then that album is a sterling example of it. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 21:28
I just got Days of Future Passed a few years ago, and I do love it. Though indeed I could do without most of the orchestral bits... as well as the spoken words. I wonder how the early live versions when they played the songs that ended in the album sounded (or if they played the complete album live before or after it was released).
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 22:34
It sounds very dated these days but I like it anyway. Why is it dated? Not just the orchestra but the surf guitar sounds and bouncy positive vibe of the album which doesn't seem to take the psychedelic flavor into consideration even though it had already started and even with the "the smell of grass just makes me pass" line. Still, I think it's a great album even if it sounds like the band accidentally stumbled on something new. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 04:32
And Graham Edge's closing poem, recited by Mike Pinder! It's still startling after 50 years!

Edited by SteveG - August 31 2018 at 04:33
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 05:06
Instead of "dated" one can also say that it bears the marks of its time very clearly and that this contributes to its interest.
I'd call an album "dated" that I think one could have enjoyed more in the past but not so much anymore in the present because what was cool then is no longer cool but rather anachronistic and boring. However I wouldn't call an album "dated" that transports a certain atmosphere and approach of a time in such a way that it can now be appreciated as a historical document or a messenger of that time, as holds for DOFP. I mean, sure, nobody would make an album like this anymore and for good reason, but still...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 05:21
I think calling some music dated is very subjective thing. Also seemed already many years to be the way to try to make people think some old music is not important, at least as important as some new music.
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 05:51
Some guys in my dorm played it to death the first year in college so I did not bother with it. My favorite orchestral LPs of the time were Five Bridges and Procol Harum's attempt with an orchestra. Conquistador was quite effective.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 05:55
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I think calling some music dated is very subjective thing. Also seemed already many years to be the way to try to make people think some old music is not important, at least as important as some new music.
I don't think its all subjective. There are some dated approaches to making music that has died out because "we" (not as in everyone in the whole world but in general) can no longer relate - the orchestral cheese in Days of Future Passed being one of them. A rock tune with a drum solo taking up most of its duration? It just doesn't happen anymore. Not even live. Such excess belongs to the era of the "rock genius". Musicians still make jazz fusion but not in the smoothest, w**kiest, cocaine-induced late 70's-early 80's kind of way. Another example can be that hardly anybody sings with intense vibrato anymore but it was fashion for decades in classical music. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>