Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rainbow Rising Rough Mix Stargazer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rainbow Rising Rough Mix Stargazer
    Posted: August 31 2018 at 07:00
I just downloaded the Rainbow Rising Deluxe Album to hear the Rough mixes and yes, I know Rainbow is hard rock and may not be considered Prog, but regardless, Tony Carey's keyboard opening on the rough mix of Stargazer is 1 minute of bliss to my ears. Wish I could hear more of this guy like this, I really dug this rough mix opening. 

Edited by deafmoon - August 31 2018 at 07:24
Deafmoon
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 10:02
It might not be considered prog by some people, but is a hell of a great band. Fantastic music!!!!!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 12:32
One of the first bands I loved should check it out.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SonomaComa1999 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SonomaComa1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 22:24
Rainbow's studio albums may be more on the hard rock side, but the band did their best to incorporate improvisation and extended musical passages in their live shows with the goal of being more progressive according to Ritchie Blackmore. If you go back and find a couple of their shows, you'll see 11 minute renditions of "Man on the Silver Mountain" and if you're lucky you'll find a THIRTY MINUTE version of the three minute instrumental Yardbirds cover "Still I'm Sad". 

I normally wouldn't consider Rainbow's studio albums as prog, but their live albums during the Dio period definitely are. "On Stage" and all the bootlegs are certainly prog, and will be regarded as such when I get along to them in my reviews. 
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..." -Frank Zappa
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 03:39
Tony Carey's not just a great keyboard player, he's a fine singer and a one-man band on his Planet P Project albums. Check out Pink World. Good stuff.  

All the Dio-Rainbow albums are fantastic. It's after he left that things got streamlined. I like them all, though!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 09:05
A great album! I remember proudly showing off the gatefold sleeve at school when it came out. I saw them shortly afterwards at the Liverpool Empire on that tour - my first proper rock concert! Stargazer and Light in the Black make a very strong Side 2 - and I do think there is some progginess within the extended instrumentation and orchestration too. Tony Carey's contributions were always good - especially on Light in the Black, although I'm intrigued by the rough mix on Stargazer you discuss. The start of Tarot Woman is very special too. They were never the same after that album - although Long Live Rock and Roll delayed the decline to come extent thanks to Ronnie. Such a shame Tony was forced out by the Witchfinder General himself after Rainbow Rising.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 11:47
Dio was one of rock's greatest vocalists! 

I'd consider Rainbow to be prog-related, as much as Deep Purple is.  Fantastic music.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 12:53
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Dio was one of rock's greatest vocalists!

Ronnie James Dio was my favorite (male) rock vocalist. Seriously. From Elf all the way down to Heaven and Hell! He was amazing. RIP RJD.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 21:01
Originally posted by SonomaComa1999 SonomaComa1999 wrote:

Rainbow's studio albums may be more on the hard rock side, but the band did their best to incorporate improvisation and extended musical passages in their live shows with the goal of being more progressive according to Ritchie Blackmore. If you go back and find a couple of their shows, you'll see 11 minute renditions of "Man on the Silver Mountain" and if you're lucky you'll find a THIRTY MINUTE version of the three minute instrumental Yardbirds cover "Still I'm Sad". 

I normally wouldn't consider Rainbow's studio albums as prog, but their live albums during the Dio period definitely are. "On Stage" and all the bootlegs are certainly prog, and will be regarded as such when I get along to them in my reviews. 

Indeed they did great things with their live versions. But I guess it's very much what Deep Purple did themselves on their shows too.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 02:02
In my head there used to be an even longer demo version but I am terrible at misremembering things so don't hold me to it! It was always odd the way the song started on a drum intro but that made it very distinct. Yep Tony's intro is fantastic but there is only one rule at work - 'Don't show up the boss!!'
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 15:43
Risultati immagini per rainbow in the dark

A great album
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
MattGuitat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGuitat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 21:23
Just added the rough mix to my queue. I love the original, interested to hear how the studio keyboard intro compares to the much-longer live ones.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2019 at 18:54
A couple weeks ago, I chanced upon this live performance by Tony Carey and his band. This is probably the best version of "Tarot Woman" I've heard that doesn't have Dio's vocals!

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2019 at 07:44
Unfortunately anyone who wasn't Dio or Powell tended to get mixed down both in the studio and live - the bass is too low on Rising (but I may be biased). When I was Rainbow, Carey was shoved over to the edge of the stage and we couldn't even see him.
 Post Reply Post Reply