Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Hackett, UK Tour, October 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Hackett, UK Tour, October 2018
    Posted: September 01 2018 at 04:24
I just ordered tickets to the Birmingham date! As a long-time Genesis/Hackett fan I believe the concert will be truly memorable. And worth the prize, hopefully (ordering tickets from viagogo costs surprisingly much extra...).

Steve and his band are supported by a symphony orchestra and the show will include many Genesis classics such as 'Supper's Ready' and 'Firth of Fifth'.

(October 2018)
Monday 01         Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham
Wednesday 03    Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
Thursday 04       Royal Festival Hall, London
Friday 05           Symphony Hall, Birmingham
Suday 07           Sage Gateshead, Gateshead
Monday 08         Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow
Wednesday 10    Regent Theatre, Ipswich
Thursday 11       London Palladium, London

(Sunday 10 February – Friday 15 February     On the Blue Cruise, Miami, Florida )

Are there any others here going on that tour?
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 08:49
I hope you have a great night. We booked our tickets at the Sage, Gateshead a while back and looking forward to seeing how the orchestration affects the classic songs. I think it's a good move to spice up the 'Genesis Revisited' brand from a ticket sales perspective too, hopefully.

It's going to be a busy weekend. BJH at the Sage on Friday, then over to Liverpool on Saturday for OMD + Orchestra as well. Hope I'm not 'stringed' out come Sunday.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 23:11
^ Thanks, Dave, you too have a great music weekend!

Do you know the line-up of Hackett's band?   - Nad Sylvan can really sound like Peter Gabriel - and 70's Phil Collins too.
(I'm familiar with the recent live DVD's such as Wuthering Nights.)
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 05:28

^ To answer my own question, a quote from Steve's official pages:    Tongue

Joining Steve on the tour are his regular musicians Roger King (keyboards),
Gary O'Toole (drums/percussion), Rob Townsend (saxes/flutes)
with Nad Sylvan on vocals. They will be joined on this tour by
Jonas Reingold from The Flower Kings on bass.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 11:33
Thanks for the information, Matti - wasn't sure if Nick Beggs was going to be on bass or not.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 14:01
No Bristol or Cardiff.. very sad! I think the Colston hall is undergoing its 'Transformation' (followed by name change to something not connected with the Bristol slave trade) so no bigger name acts.. Oh well will just have to remember the Defector tour gig at the Colston July 1980 I think?

Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 23:28
^ All of the U.K. concerts are not sold out, are they? 

(I've got my tickets from viagogo, and hopefully I won't need to use it ever again; it's crazy how much extra cost it brought. The moment I saw the final cost -- 225,75 pounds --, the page gave me just a brief time to decide... But since I and my female friend are travelling to the U.K. anyway... It's only money! The tickets were delivered to my home two days ago.)

Edited by Matti - September 12 2018 at 23:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 16:34
I wouldn't think all the UK gigs are sold out- some of them maybe; London for instance. Birmingham is the nearest to me and its just too far to go and ive seen Mr Hackett a dozen or so times over the years so I;m happy to rely on my memories ;)

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 16:06
Nothing like planning ahead! As well as seeing the great man this Sunday, I've just booked for the November 23rd 2019 show at the Sage, Gateshead tonight. Apparently the tickets for next year's tour are on general sale Friday morning. Selling England by the Pound in its entirety, Spectral Mornings 40th anniversary and stuff from his forthcoming album will be played.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 16:17
Thanks Squonk! 
Hope I'll get to the 2019 show.  I missed the Nottingham concert on Monday as I was on my way back from Borneo, and was pretty gutted to miss out.

SEBTP in full sounds like heaven! 
Songs cast a light on you
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 17:54
Playing Leicester on November 8th, 2019 - hope that's okay for you!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 21:30
I got to see him earlier this year, and it was indeed a great show. Specially the second half of Genesis material, since I was don't really know so much of his solo stuff... and my favourite track (shadow of the Hierophan) was only played incomplete. Yet, getting to hear so many Genesis classics was wonderful. Now, with orchestra added, that will surely be something for you to remember.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 06:05
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Playing Leicester on November 8th, 2019 - hope that's okay for you!

It's in the diary!
Songs cast a light on you
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 14:24
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Nothing like planning ahead! As well as seeing the great man this Sunday, I've just booked for the November 23rd 2019 show at the Sage, Gateshead tonight. Apparently the tickets for next year's tour are on general sale Friday morning. Selling England by the Pound in its entirety, Spectral Mornings 40th anniversary and stuff from his forthcoming album will be played.

Yay!! He's playing the Forum at Bath which is great and i'll definitely get tickets! 40th anniversary of Spectral Mornings.. I cant believe it! 

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 18:09
Serious weirdness...... I bought tickets for my wife and I for next year's concert at the Sage - Front Stalls D21 and D22 - on a 'best available' pre-sale. Just checked the seats for tomorrow's concert, also bought randomly, and yes.... Seats D21 and D22! Cue 'Twilight Zone' music! Might order a blue plaque for these two seats! Squonk and his Squonkess sat here twice and saw some damn fine prog!
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 04:54
The Birmingham show was a great pleasure! The set list contained e.g. Dance on the Volcano, Firth of Fifth, Dancing With the Moonlit Knight, Serpentine Song, Blood on the Rooftops (Heart), the end of Shadow of the Hierophant,
   Afterglow, truly mindblowing performance of Supper's Ready, and The Musical Box as the encore. Doesn't get much better... though I'd loved to hear some more of Hackett's own classics as well.

PS. How did you like it, Squonk?

Edited by Matti - October 11 2018 at 06:28
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 14:46
^ Absolutely fantastic, Matti! Pleased you liked it too! I like your photograph.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 17:02
Didn't want to start another thread - but any North East of England Genesis or prog fans out there might want to check out that great UK Genesis tribute band Los Endos at Whitley Bay Playhouse Saturday Night doing the Knebworth '78 show + Hackett-era tracks too. Advert over - ironing my 'Selling England by the Pound' T-shirt as I post! 😉
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 15:06
Saw them a couple of years running in Torquay (either they came down for a holiday or had a family member in town ;) and they were very good. This year, 'Afterglow' (another tribute act) came instead and I didn't catch them but I think they are more Phil Collins/ & then there were 3 era.. Anyway, hope you enjoyed it!

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 15:46
^ I certainly did, Cosmiclawnmower. Thanks for asking. They did most of the Knebworth 78 show, and Fountain of Salmacis and Ripples working very well - as well as The Lady Lies and Deep in the Motherlode, surprisingly. An encore of The Musical Box and then Supper's Ready sent us all home with a warm 'afterglow' (!) Not always note perfect, but the spirit is there, and singer Jack has a great Collins-style voice too. Hope they make it down your way next year (apparently more Lamb is promised)
 Post Reply Post Reply