Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1974: Canterbury Scene, Sound or Flavour albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1974: Canterbury Scene, Sound or Flavour albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Choose an album from the list (and mention any others)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.67%]
18 [30.00%]
2 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.67%]
3 [5.00%]
5 [8.33%]
13 [21.67%]
2 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [21.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974: Canterbury Scene, Sound or Flavour albums
    Posted: September 01 2018 at 20:21
Once again, I have avoided singles, compilations and live albums. I decided on these:

Arti & Mestieri - Tilt (Immagini per un orecchio)
Camel - Mirage
Cos - Postaeolian Train Robbery
Darryl Way's Wolf - Night Music
Dr. Dopo Jam - Fat Dogs and Danishmen
Egg - The Civil Surface
Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible Vol. 3 - You
Hatfield and the North - Hatfield and the North
Henry Cow - Unrest
Isotope - Illusion
Isotope - Isotope
Kevin Ayers - The Confessions of Doctor Dream and Other Stories
Melodiya Ensemble - Labyrinth
Perigeo - Genealogia
Placebo - Placebo
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Sweet Okay Supersister - Spiral Staircase Sass
Tortilla Flat - Für ein ¾ Stündchen

I know it's kind of weird how I ordered the list as I opted not to include, say, Robert Wyatt and Kevin Ayers in the "W" and "A" positions (as it should be listed alphabetically by last name).

I wasn't planning to include Camel in this, as I find this less Canterbury sounding than the debut (aside from "Supertwister" and "Earthrise"), but opted to. Since it's not a contest, I don't think it matters if the votes turn out unbalanced. Also Henry Cow's Unrest is less Canterbury sound than the debut, but is still fit for this poll methinks. I've listed Hatfield and the North again, because I treat it as a 1974 album release (but opted to still include it in 1973 since PA lists it for that year). Some of this music is more of a stretch than others, but I wanted to include it all, and all has Canterbury flavours within to my sensibilities.

Again, when voting don't worry about how Canterbury you find an album, or if you disagree with any year placement, vote for whatever you like. Please list others that could fit.

For various Canterbury Scene/ Sound lovers, choosing just one might prove very challenging, and some I expect will decline to (if forced to pick, I would find it very hard to go against Rock Bottom). Feel free to vote even if you've havent heard most of these albums (would hope you've heard a few of them at least, mostly because there are great albums in the list).
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 21:49
Hatfield this time :)
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 23:50
Kevin again, really love also Gong & Wyatt.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 02:12
Egg!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 02:15
the Robert Wyatt, Gong, Cos, Henry Cow, Arti & Mestieri, Camel, Perigeo, Placebo, Egg, Camel and Hatfield-options are all rather essential to me. But well I've never not voted for Rock Bottom.

Haven't heard Melodiya Ensemble, Tortilla Flat or Dr. Dopo Jam so look forward to that - if I can find them.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 08:16
Very hard to choose among this great and long list of fantastic albums. I'm still going with Camel, I really love Mirage, but I could have easily voted for any of them.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 08:19
For once apparently in line with the crowd, I can't vote against Rock Bottom on this one.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 08:26
Rock Bottom is rock solid.

[img]
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

the Robert Wyatt, Gong, Cos, Henry Cow, Arti & Mestieri, Camel, Perigeo, Placebo, Egg, Camel and Hatfield-options are all rather essential to me. But well I've never not voted for Rock Bottom.

Haven't heard Melodiya Ensemble, Tortilla Flat or Dr. Dopo Jam so look forward to that - if I can find them.

Here is the Tortilla Flat:

Here is the Melodiya Ensemble, which is Soviet jazz-funk, but has Canterbury sound elements within to these ears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgwNtnGYBAg

Dr. Dopo Jam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4BwIJ-blTA
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 10:54
Mirage is one of my all time fave albums so gets the vote...though to my ears it's the least Canterbury like album in Camel's 70's discography Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 11:06
"Supertwister" and "Earthrise" sound Canterbury Sound-like to me, the rest based on memory of that album, not so much.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 11:56
WAY tougher poll this time. AeM, Isotope, Hatfield, Gong, Camel...

EGG
G  G
GGE
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 15:27
As in the other poll, my favorite album is Mirage, bit Camel is not Canterbury, so my vote goes to the marvelous Rock Bottom
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 15:49
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

As in the other poll, my favorite album is Mirage, bit Camel is not Canterbury, so my vote goes to the marvelous Rock Bottom

Not sure if this is needed, but just to clarify (also for anyone who read this thread and plans to vote):

I wish I'd gone into more detail in my opening posts (this time I was too succinct), adding either Camel album to the lists was not meant to imply that it is Canterbury Scene or even Canterbury Sound, but that I feel that it has a musical relation to Canterbury Sound music (Mirage less so than the Camel debut). A Canterbury flavour if you will.

As I said in my opening post, "I wasn't planning to include Camel in this, as I find this less Canterbury sounding than the debut (aside from "Supertwister" and "Earthrise"), but opted to ... Some of this music is more of a stretch than others, but I wanted to include it all, and all has Canterbury flavours within to my sensibilities [or senses].

Again, when voting don't worry about how Canterbury you find an album, or if you disagree with any year placement, vote for whatever you like. Please list others that could fit."

I deliberately wanted to think outside fairly narrow Canterbury Scene and Canterbury Sound boxes to go into music that I feel has Canterbury sound/style flavours. Another way I could have put it is "Canterbury Scene and Canterbury Sound/Style albums plus albums with a Musical Relation to my Ears", but that's a bit too unwieldy for a topic.   Sorry if my intentions were unclear to anyone. That said, I'm glad to see another vote for the terrific Rock Bottom.

Of course if you choose to vote for a different album to your favourite because you feel it should be Canterbury (I can appreciate such a purist attitude), that's up to you, but that wasn't my intention when setting this up, so that's playing by your "rules" rather than what was my intent.

Edited by Logan - September 02 2018 at 15:50
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 16:07
The purpose of polls is in my vision, speaking about albums.
Therecaren't winners nor losers, and while Mirage is an albums that gives me a lot of good vibrations (the first time I've listened to it I was in a desert), Rock Bottom features Sinclair and Oldfield and is a fully Canterbury album, the best ecer released by Wyatt, IMO
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 16:34
There are no winners or losers in my polls as far as I'm concerned, they are merely intended as accessories to discussion and vehicles intended for discovery and re-discovery (both for me and hopefully others). Of course one is free to decide on how to vote through one's own vision, but I would hope to have effectively communicated my vision, my intent, when putting these things together. I prefer Rock Bottom to Mirage, and opted to include Camel because I thought that some people would appreciate the inclusion. That said, leaving it out would seem "off" since I had endeavored to think outside of fairly narrow categorisations and into "related" musical territories (Canterbury sound-Related so to speak). I appreciate all who take the time to share their thoughts and participate in dialectic in these topics.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 16:57
I'm voting Mirage - Camel - because I simply cannot ignore one of my favourite prog albums of all time. Whether it is particularly Canterbury in feel - I won't comment (probably not) - but I'm going with Logan's view on these polls about keeping it a broad sweep.

The Canterbury scene is one I dip in and out of, but can't say it holds my attention compared to other genres and groups - but there are definitely gems in there - when they don't get too soppy lyrically and musically.

Edited by Squonk19 - September 02 2018 at 17:01
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 17:19
Feel free to comment, Squonk, as you see fit (same goes with everyone else). Yeah, this poll is meant to be fairly broad in approach. I genuinely always enjoy reading your posts by the way, and I've had some of my favourite conversations with you at this forum. It's a good community -- glad to be part of it.

Edited by Logan - September 02 2018 at 17:20
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 17:25
^ The albums listed in these types of polls always give me ideas to explore - and gets me out of my symphonic prog, neo-prog or crossover prog comfort zones. The views of PA members are always worthy of consideration. Definitely be revisiting Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom after fall these years, for example!

Excuse the edits, but autocorrect is trying to get me to say Rick Bottom! I do like Wakeman - but that's going too far!

Edited by Squonk19 - September 02 2018 at 17:27
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 18:26
Once again its can, this time by a wider margin as Mirage is a total classic.

(But I havent heard everything on the list)
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 08:32
Voted Camel over Hatfield but want to mention Perigeo "Geneology". It's a great album, somewhat obscure and completely different than anything else they recorded (also my favorite), but I wonder if it fits in the Canterbury style.
PROGMATIC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>