Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Southern Empire - Civilisation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southern Empire - Civilisation
    Posted: September 02 2018 at 12:12
This is pretty good.

Cover seems to have a steampunk vibe?

Feels like a concept album? 

Is it?
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 16:36
An enjoyable melodic-prog album (I assume it is in the crossover prog genre). I bought it after being very impressed with 'How Long' on the debut album. Wasn't very aware of the Unitopia connection at the time - I suppose Aussie prog was off my radar a couple of years ago.

The only track that doesn't really connect with me is the opening track - 'Goliath's Moon" - which I find is lyrically weak and slightly cheesy. The highlight is 'The Crossroads' - a lovely interweaving epic with African overtones (maybe that hints at a concept with other tracks). However, another PA member mentioned that much of the track is based on part of 'Travelling Man (The Story of ESHU)' which was covered by the United Progressive Fraternity on their 'Fall in Love With the World' album - who I gather are the rival offshoot from Unitopia after the split (so I assume both groups are doing their own takes on music created when they were all together). Interestingly, parts of 'How Long' are in that track as well. I think ESHU is some form of African deity - but I'll be pleased to be corrected.

All very confusing and hopefully a Unitopia fan will bring us up to speed about all of this - but I've enjoyed the music of Unitopia, UPF and Southern Empire over the last few years and long may it continue.

Edited by Squonk19 - September 02 2018 at 16:38
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 14:51
I like Goliath's Moon. It feels like it's telling a story though. About diamonds. Found on Goliath's Moon.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 13:26
This album is fantastic...AOTY contender for me. Cries for the Lonely is probably my favourite track. Absolutely stellar guitar solos from Cam Blokland.

I believe they're coming up to the UK to tour this autumn, a joint tour with Damanek, a band led by ex-Tangent member Guy Manning, which also features Sean Timms from Southern Empire.

Edited by RoeDent - September 04 2018 at 13:28
GuyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 04:21
Yes indeed!!

SOUTHERN EMPIRE + DAMANEK (+ SEVEN STEPS TO THE GREEN DOOR in Europe)
3 dates in Europe then 5 nights in the UK (nov-dec)
See http://www.guymanning.com/damanek/damanek-live.html

hope to see you there
Guy

Edited by GuyM - September 07 2018 at 04:21
 Post Reply Post Reply