0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60s to 70: Canterbury Scene, Sound, or Flavour
    Posted: September 03 2018 at 09:41
Yet another of these, and once again I am thinking somewhat out of the Canterbury box to not only highlight Canterbury Scene, Sound or Style albums, but also some that have a Canterbury flavour to the taste-buds on my earbuds, or are Canterbury Scene related. Please mention any others (albums or even just songs) that you think might evoke such Canterbury or Canterburyesque/ Canterburian sounds (Canterbury or with a Canterbury relation to your mind). I'm hoping to discover some music here. I opted to include some singles this time around as I think that they are, at least mostly, of interest, plus a compilation since I feel that The Wilde Flowers should be represented.

Once again, in voting, don't worry if you find a release on the list that sins't Canterbury in approach or in terms of geography, but instead just vote for what you like. That said, feel free to discuss the Canterbury merits or lack there-of of any release, but try to keep an open mind and open ears (this is not meant to be a purist approach).

Caravan - Caravan (1968)
The Soft Machine - The Soft Machine (1968)
Arzachel - Arzachel (1969)
Circus (UK) - Circus (1969)
The Soft Machine - Volume Two (1969)
Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy (1969)
Gong - Magick Brother (late 1969 or 1970 release)
Supersister - Present From Nancy (1970, have also since it listed as a 1969 initial release)
Kevin Ayers and the Whole World - Shooting at the Moon (1970)
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You (1970)
Carol Grimes and Delivery - Fools Meeting (1970)
Egg - Egg (1970)
Soft Machine - Third (1970)
Robert Wyatt - The End of an Ear (1970)
Annexus Quam Osmose(1970)
Association PC - Earwax (1970)
Xhol Caravan - Electrip (1969)
Nucleus - Elastic Rock (1970)
Embryo - Opal (1970)
El Tarro de Mostaza - El Tarro de Mostaza (1970)
The Wilde Flowers (archival compilation: demos from 1965 to 1969, released 1994)
The Soft Machine - Joy of a Toy / Why Are We Sleeping? (1968 single)
Cruciferius - Music Town / Mister Magoo (1969 single)
Egg - Seven Is a Jolly Good Time / You Are All Princes (1969 single)
Kevin Ayers and the Whole World - Singing a Song in the Morning / Eleanor's Cake (Which Ate Her) (1970 single)
Kevin Ayers - Butterfly Dance / Puis-je? (single 1970)
Supersister - She Was Naked / Spiral Staircase (1970 single)

Since I added some singles, it would have been nice to search for lives too. Lots of great albums here, but I love Soft Machine's Third so much. While some may question some of my inclusions, I'd rather mention them than canterbury them as I think that they might be of interest to Canterbury fans and I would rather err on the side of inclusion than exclusion.

EDIT: Forgot to list two that I had meant to mention and edited in two more.

Edited by Logan - September 03 2018 at 12:18
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 10:58
So I voted for Soft Machine's Third. I just want to mention that when conceptualising these polls, the idea in my head was to expand from Canterbury Scene or Sound into perceived realms or flavours of a Canterbury sound. I know that's a very "open" concept, but that was my point in wanting to delve into music that while not classified as Canterbury Scene or Sound has that flavour to me, and to hear about others that might fit. Now I wasn't perhaps clear enough to all on that before in title and opening posts as I thought that using the word "flavours", plus the diverse selection, would make my intentions apparent. I was inspired by Drew's Non-British Canterbury Style poll, and some discussion within that topic for this little series.

I added two more to the list, and squished Kevin Ayers/ The Soft Machine singles to make space as I had intended to add Annexus Quam and El Tarro de Mostaza to the list.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 11:48
A bit of a stretch? There's fuzz organ... Fantastic album... at times maybe like an in you face version of Soft Machine - Fourth (a year earlier) = not much pastoral warmth or whimsy but a sense of humor

As for my vote: Third is like Rock Bottom - no matter how much I love the rest its just something else. 

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 03 2018 at 12:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 12:01
A top ten from here - just for fun. Nine I really love I guess ( I was not familiar with El Tarro de Mostaza, but I'm listening now. Sounds very charming):

1 Soft Machine - Third 
2 Supersister - Present From Nancy 
3 The Soft Machine - Volume Two 
4 Association PC - Earwax
5 Embryo - Opal
6 Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy
7 Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You
8 Arzachel - Arzachel
9 Egg - Egg
10 Nucleus - Elastic Rock 

Edit: didn't really count the singles. I certainly have nothing against them but I've never owned them or listened to those songs in that combination before.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 03 2018 at 12:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 12:05
This 1969-gem would fit nicely too I think. Hadn't listened to it in a decade. Was kind of positively surprised.

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 12:12
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZed - Soft V2 for me LOL

Edited by The.Crimson.King - September 03 2018 at 12:12
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 12:12
Ugh, forgot, I even mentioned Xhol Caravan in the non- British Canterbury topic, but forgot to list it despite later on remembering and editing in two others that I mentioned there (see CLICK ). Will add it in. And I have and really like that Association PC album, will edit it in too. Thanks for mentioning them.

Edited by Logan - September 03 2018 at 12:19
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 12:45
Egg > If I Could... > Third > Caravan > Arzachel > Vol 2

Edited by Upbeat Tango Monday - September 03 2018 at 12:46
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 18:30
I'll pile on the Third bandwagon here.

But as an alternate, I'll add that I do dig the Embryo album.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 02:18
Really hard to decide between Joy Of Toy & If I could...but it´s Caravan this time.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 03:42
I've voted for a different band each time in these polls, this time I went with the very popular Soft Machine - Third (1970). Canterbury Scene just has to be one of the best things ever! 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 07:41
I actually started my day with Opal so I went with that. A LOT of orher contenders who are equally worthy of my vote...but I am most likely one of the only ones here willing to give it the nod. Brilliant album with loads of fickle almost purposeful clumsy percussion and those gargling organs.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 08:53
Great to see Third doing well. I could have tipped it over the edge but my vote went to Volume Two.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 15:19
Caravan...but there are many great ones on that list.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 16:44
These Canterbury polls are all excellent, and very hard to pick one over the others. This time I'll go with Caravan"If I Could do it Again".

Edited by Manuel - September 04 2018 at 16:45
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 17:25
Can't choose btween The Soft's volume 2 and third. 

I'll go with VT just because it has less votes. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 18:00
The lucky number in this poll is two.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 19:28
Hi,

While there is a lot to like here, I really think that what gave the start to this "scene" was not the music, but the arts that were all around.

It's strange that we do not like the idea that Burroughs, Ginsberg, and many actors at the time, were kinda together and in fact many of these around Ayers, Wyatt, Allen and others were living in the same house ... etc, etc, etc ... 

If one gets the chance, try and see the complete "Tonite We All Love in London" ... while not a thorough detail of the time and place, it gives you a very good idea that these things were much more together than we give them credit for.

Of importance, is my thoughts that Robert Wyatt might have brought out the 1,2,3/A,B,C thing on purpose during the one of those events/show just to get attention to their music ... which, of course, worked great, and everyone ended up loving the Soft Machine's stuff, and ignoring the 1,2,3 thing.

I thought that a lot of it, was more a result of being stoned, than just a music thing, though I did not think that the majority of those folks mentioned were exactly not musically inclined and able ... we know they were.

But there is a GAG here, that is VERY IMPORTANT ... and it is in the Robert Wyatt book ... and we continually ignore it ... in the after PF days, they are trying to put together a song with Syd Barrett, and one guy asks RW what chord is he playing ... and RW's answer? Just play ... he doesn't know chords!

And that, above all suggests that Syd's stuff was about a FLOW of ideas that was not strictly designed by chords and notes, but by the feel of what you heard and you responded likewise ... and what is missing TODAY in this equation is this ability to try and learn to play something ... out of nothing, for lack of a better way to say it.

As RW said ... we don't get it, do we?

Those days, the desire, fun and trips, made it easier to do something different ... today, with all our thinking and ideas and DAW's ... we can't even conceive of that idea of something coming out of nothing ... just like what comes out of a black hole in the universe!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 04:36
Lot of excellent stuff but first vote for Arzachel. I love that album.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 14:59
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZed - Soft V2 for me LOL

Same for me Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>