Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Support the new Krautrock documentary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progdocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 18:26
This is great! Damo Suzuki, legendary singer of CAN, has donated 10 LPs to our Krautrock film fundraising campaign, signed by him: Damo Suzuki & Sound Carriers: Live at Marie-Antoinette. Claim your perk at https://igg.me/at/krautrock - For more info on the Romantic Warriors Progrockumentary series visit www.progdocs.com

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 22:06
LP's???...   wow.. never figured Damo for a hipster haha....  

Edited by micky - September 18 2018 at 22:07
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
progdocs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progdocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 08:53
I guess liking Krautrock today makes you a hipster! What about pledging to our campaign and getting this awesome custom, limited edition got Krautrock? T-Shirt? There are I believe 4 or 5 perks listed that include it! Also, we have a secret perk up: https://bit.ly/2xsVRv6 only until Tuesday. Name of perk: Monoshake: Shhh...the secret's out for you friends this weekend only. You get 20% off the standard contribution for the Limited Edition DVD as a thank you for being an early supporter!

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 07:59
Hi,

(slight editorial!)

I would love, really would love, to see this done before the day I go away from this earth.

Everyone here knows well that the folks in Germany were some of my greatest artistic inspiration and that their drive and desire to create something different, however weird it may have been at the time compared to the top of the pops stuff.

The only sad thing, for me, is that a lot of this was just an "improvisation" that was picked up, sometimes by accident that became known as a great piece of music, movie, play, art ... whichever discipline you might want to describe and look at ... although rock audiences (specially here with a handful of notable exceptions), have never seen a movie, read a book (except Harry Blotter!), or heard any other music than what the radio played or your friend had on their cassette (at the time!).

Sad for me, is not hearing Uli's comments (many of which are in EUROCK -- something this publication/movie will no doubt ignore ... and Archie, despite his eccentricity deserves a lot more and better!), or the comments from many other artists ... gone, will be EF's comment about the generation, because it is not about the "song", or any thoughts that drove some of these folks.

Damo is a perfect example. He came from a time when theater was experimenting with voice in Europe, something fierce, and his simply working on adding it to a rock band, was a wonderful idea, that sadly culminated with him running out of ideas, when the scene itself died because no one could relate to it, and no one "knew" the "lyrics" and what it was about ... something that pop music audiences demand 24/7 ... if not 25/7 so we can call it "progressive"!

I like what he has done, but 50 years later, it sounds sad, and it is either that he does not meditate enough to work the music, or the folks behind him, simply are not well versed and capable of extending something and improvising in a free form way that can help create feelings and lyrics ... when everything is just about a riff, matching lyrics is harder for someone like Damo ... you take all the logic out and he will shine, thus a band sticking to a beat or some sort of idea to "follow" is simply hurting his ability to fly ... and I'm not sure that the musicians know or understand this ... creativity, usually comes out of "nothing", or it would simply be a part of the thing it came out of ... your child is mine, is a part of you or me, kind of thing.

Krautrock, without the ability to study and look at the free form-ness of it, is just a bunch of musicians, some of which do not even know what they did --- is what we are going to find ... and this is not satisfactory, and on top of it, not all of them were that far out of it --- witness CAN, to not be able to discuss their ability to create out of "nothing" or a simple noise, which FAUST also did for a few albums before everyone got stuck on a couple of satire/weird "songs" ... and the guy going around banging on the cement mixers in that Krautrock special gets totally wasted and comes off as just a guy super stoned at one time or another.

We have to get past that ... and I doubt that the film/special will ... the generation of folks putting it together does not see it as an art form ... they see it as some clever creation of pop music, and for that, I think the quality of it all will die quickly and few folks other than the aficionados here will see it.

This scares me, for this is the part that makes me "different" here ... I clamor to all this as an ART FORM and the next thread and Admin here, will immediately make a comment that is more fit for a pop song than it is for an art form.

Like it or not, all the great composers, writers and musicians and painters over the past several hundreds and thousands of years, all "experimented", and the fact that they are remembered fondly in so many books, shows that they all changed things from previously, for the most part ... and yet, too many of us here, refuse to see that within a simplistic historic context ... and something like this makes the whole "krautrock" thing even more important and valuable, specially when so many other folks came out of it, that we do not even consider and appreciate. You really think that Klaus Kinski was doing anything different than Damo Suzuki? You really think that WWenders and WHerzog never learned to free form their camera like they did because of the actors and the things they were seeing?

Sadly, those two, will never even show up in this film, and I'm not sure that they have a lot to say ... they work hard enough to even get some credit for their films, and folks here, will still not see them! Everyone seems to know Popol Vuh's album Aguirre ... and most have probably never seen the film that used that music so beautifully including the last 20 minutes choreographed to the music!

It doesn't matter ... it's not pop music on the top ten!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 08:25
Great idea for a documentary. Kudos!
Be sure to cover a place like Zodiak Free Arts Lab (founded by Schnitzler and Roedelius) where most of the head honchos met up and exchanged ideas during "Krautrock's infancy". It was more of a new perspective kind of thing than it was an attempt at creating a new brand. Also very much an emancipation from Germany's past and indeed the fascist music teachers who mostly still were employed...because the country couldn't afford new ones.
Anyways check out the Zodiak Free Arts Lab and places like that in order to dive a little deeper into the backpages of this wonderful "scene"/style/perspective: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiak_Free_Arts_Lab
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 08:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Anyways check out the Zodiak Free Arts Lab and places like that in order to dive a little deeper into the backpages of this wonderful "scene"/style/perspective: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiak_Free_Arts_Lab

EUROCK covers all things German in the early days, with reports from various musicians, that were a part of the scene. And EUROCK is the most important piece of information about "krautrock", than anything, including that special in various parts, that started beautifully (with the scenes around the world and Jimi on tap), and immediately dropped it, just about right after Renate made her comments about the situation ... while not necessarily supporting the folks that were not doing the good things, in the end, it all just became an "Apocalyptic Bore", which is the part I do not want to see in the film with quotes about the "stars" and their fame, and ignoring all the other arts and works around them!

Klaus Kinsky, for example, personifies "krautrock" as good or better than anyone else that could be mentioned in the film! And WHerzog even did one of his first films on Amon Duul 2. 

You think that stuff like that does not mean something? Specially at a time when Germany was split up and the visibility of the ARTS would be an enormous influential attack on East Germany and even communism, which Guru Guru made a wonderful satirical piece in the TANGO FANGO album, and kinda said that rock'n'roll was the GOD, not politics!

THAT, is one of the cornerstones of "krautrock" ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 08:55
Wow...thank you for completely misrepresenting my post and then doing a strawman post on steroids. You're a wonderful human being
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 09:10
hahahha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 09:13
Originally posted by progdocs progdocs wrote:

I guess liking Krautrock today makes you a hipster! 

nah man.. not Krautrock...  digging vinyl.. LP's in the 21st century...  I was told that was on page 2 of the bible of how to be a hipster haha...

and a big Happy Birthday to you sir!!  Have a great one!

Edited by micky - September 23 2018 at 09:13
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 06:48
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Wow...thank you for completely misrepresenting my post and then doing a strawman post on steroids. You're a wonderful human being  

Not trying to at all.

for me, and I was playing all these records (LP's) when they came out, I was already watching Herzog and Wenders, and was aware that they had connections to rock music, just like PHandke was also working with a couple of folks. In fact, his early one-act plays fall into the category that Damo went on to do with CAN ... but it's hard to mention the "krautrock" contemporaries, because too many folks here (with the exception of a handful!!!), have a tendency to ignore and dislike the information and the idea that the arts also happened in other disciplines, not just rock music, and we have not even mentioned jazz, which Germany was highly active in! Or the fact that Agitation Free was more of a "college paid" project than it was serious about its music, until all of a sudden everyone thought it was cool, but it was more about its integration with a different culture than it was "krautrock" per se.

I just would like to see a comprehensive study that is intelligent and not "fan driven" ... because the "fan driven" concern will take the art (and the arts) out of it and make it look like the hit songs (or albums for us!), are what created the world, the first man, the first woman, and the first ....

Even someone like Christopher Franke would have a massive amount to say about all this, but (very sadly) we're going to let him die with his private ideas and never try to get something out of him. And the club his parents (mom?) owned was a very important place that helped create all this ... 

How much more of history do we want to allow to be ignored and kept hidden? All we end up doing is deceive our own children ... just like so many parents and folks think that sex and drugs is bad, therefore the 60's stunk ... and that is/was media BS ... you and I know that because we still talk about all the music that came out of it, and "krautrock" was also one of those things that grew out of it, although it had a much better connection with the arts around Europe, than anything else.

We must stop this hiding of stuff ... don't you think that part of the issue in Germany before the WALL came down was how much was being hidden and taken away from the populace, specially in the arts? Why are you negating the valuable help that Radio Free Europe and so many others had, in bringing all this change about? "Krautrock" was THERE. AND stood up. IT WAS NOT a hit song. IT HAD SO MANY variations (Future Days book!), that kinda made it harder to understand, but altogether, it was one of the most productive and important of artistic scenes in Europe in the 20th Century ... it involved more arts than just about any other scene in the 20th century. And coming from a country that was STILL recovering from what amounted to total destruction ... that's impressive!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 07:27
I don't care what you say Pedro. You use other people as stepping stones in order to push your own agenda and it is quite frankly intolerable.
Please leave me and other PA members out of your posts.

- Douglas Adams
progdocs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progdocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 18:59
Check out this brief excerpt of the film, in which Damo talks about the Damo Suzuki Network, and the Sound Carriers. If you enjoy the idea of a 4-hour Krautrock film, you have a chance to back Part 1 of the project on IndieGoGo here https://igg.me/at/krautrock
progdocs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progdocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 13:00
Thank you to all PA members who have funded, shared, and gotten involved our “Romantic Warriors IV - Krautrock” campaign! – we are so grateful for your support!

First, we want to keep you posted on what we have accomplished so far: We raised 44% of our goal since last post! Right now, we have 9 days left and we still need to raise $11,000 of the $20,000 that will allow us to complete the film.

Second, we want to emphasize why this movie is unique: the movie tells the story of Krautrock, as told by the musicians whose lives are that story. This movie is therefore not an attempt to duplicate any of other documentations of Krautrock that have appeared before on film. 

Watch this short extract of the movie, where Eberhard Kranemann, co-founder of Kraftwerk with Florian Schneider, briefly talks about the beginnings of Kraftwerk.

We are determined to meet and hopefully even exceed our goal, but we can’t do it without you. Please consider making a contribution and pass our campaign http://igg.me/at/krautrock on to as many people as you can and help us get the rest of the way there. 

We’re doing this people! Thank you for everything!

Sincerely,

Jose & Adele

progdocs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progdocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 17:50
Only 6 days left, hurry up !!! We have now added to our Krautrock film campaign https://igg.me/at/krautrock a new perk “Gesang der Jünglinge” (named after Stockhausen’s Magnus Opus), which includes the DVD in Limited Edition Digipack autographed by the Directors, PLUS two autographed CDs by Markus Reuter and Bernhard Wöstheinrich’ band Centrozoon, future New Music classics “Blast” and “the cult of: bibbiboo”. Blast is one of the most breathtaking ambient music created in this century. tco:b is filled with beauty intermixed with furious blasts of virtuosity, noise and hypnotically kicking bass drums. Burning Shed said that tco:b is the missing link between Fripp, Stockhausen and Boards Of Canada, and comes beautifully packaged and includes sleeve notes from King Crimson biographer Sid Smith. Centrozoon is Markus & Bernhard's Berlin-based band that was instrumental in inspiring the Krautrock-revival of the early 2000s. The campaign to support the Krautrock film can be accessed here https://igg.me/at/krautrock
progdocs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progdocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 19:14
 LAST CAMPAIGN DAY PERK, A COLLECTION ITEM: Miki Karoli's portrait print from the original painting. This piece of exceptional art of which only 10 have been printed was created by Malcolm Mooney in 1989, as a show of camaraderie for his band mate. This limited edition 18x24 print is hand-signed and numbered by Malcolm Mooney. 
Also includes an autographed 18x24 poster of the upcoming 10/2018 Desert Daze festival, designed by John Howard with drawing by Malcolm Mooney, and the autographed 8.5x11 print of the back cover of 1969 “The Can ‎– Monster Movie” 4. And of course, it includes a Limited Edition DVD of the film, signed by Directors. Hurry, only 10 available, claim it here: https://igg.me/at/krautrock

progdocs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progdocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 18:00
Our fundraising campaign https://igg.me/at/krautrock  for Romantic Warriors 4 - Krautrock has been extended 7 days. With already 190 backers, we are close to the finish line and would love to have you on board....

progdocs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progdocs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 11:44
With only FOUR DAYS LEFT of our campaign, our goal is so close we can almost taste it, and if you haven't shown your love, please do. If you have taken a look already, look again. We've added some new secret perks!

WATCH OUT FOR NEW "SECRET PERKS": We have designed a few awesome, exclusive rewards for you, dear Romantic Warriors! They are called “secret perks” because they are not visible to the public.
  • “got Krautrock? Custom T-Shirt”: the limited edition got Krautrock? t-shirt for just $30 + shipping (that's 25% off!)
  • “Moonshake”: the limited edition DVD Digipack of the film for just $40 + shipping (that's 20% off!) 
  • “DVD+T-Shirt Bundle”: the bundle of limited edition DVD of the film and the custom T-Shirt for $65 + shipping (that's 27% off!) 
  • “Monster Movie Back Cover Print”: the “Yoo Doo Right” perk for just $20 (and autographed by Malcolm Mooney!) + shipping (that's 33% off!)

The links can be found here https://www.progdocs.com/secret-perks/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 14:32
come on people!   Support this... they are so close to meeting the goal... and you have no idea of the goodness they are working on to bring you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12