Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camel UK Moonmadness Tour 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camel UK Moonmadness Tour 2018
    Posted: September 05 2018 at 16:40
Is anyone going to any of the UK concerts?

We're going to the Newcastle concert on Saturday

I'd heard that Andy Latimer was unwell earlier this year, but the concert seems to be on so I assume he's ok now...

Anybody else going or know any more information?

I think Andy Latimer has to play sat down now, so not sure if that has any effect on the performance
Songs cast a light on you
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 23:50
I'm also going to the Newcastle gig - dragging along my wife (as I did for the Mostly Autumn Show at the Sage, Gateshead last weekend - all part of the retraining program to better understand prog!) I hear Andy is okay at present - looking forward to seeing him play Lunar Sea live (I missed the earlier Snow Goose tour sadly).Have a good night!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 01:41
Thanks Squonk!

Good to hear that Andy is ok now, so really looking forward to it.

Hope you have a great night as well and the wife gets suitably educated
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 02:33
Couple of days ago in Lisbon he was perfectly  allright and delivered excellent lengthy solos (as always !!) - in fact I found him  more fit than last time in 2014

(... and they played Lunar Sea, to everyone's enjoyment)
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 02:36

I saw them in Warsaw in July. Andy was sitting down during the performance, but it in no way effected the show. It was incredibly strong. One of the best concert experiences of my life, really. Don't miss this show!

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 05:06
Excellent news! Looking forward to it and especially Lunar Sea - awesome track!
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 09:51
From the August edition of the Prog Mag (UK) .  Andy L hinted on a new album release soon.  Smile
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 10:24
Wonder if they'll play any new material from it?
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 11:00
^ Hopefully they will, but the other day they didn't, the newest track played was from Rajaz .
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 17:14
Well, Chaser - I hope you enjoyed the show as much as me! Wow - Andy Latimer's playing was frankly superb and the band were wonderfully tight - with special praise for Peter Jones (of Tiger Moth Tales) on keyboards etc. Moonmadness done faithfully and then a second set of well chosen tracks from later albums - with Ice a real highlight. All ending with Lady Fantasy too! So pleased to see Andy so mobile and enthusiastic too.

All in all a very special night.....and even my wife enjoyed it too, even though she admitted to not knowing most of the songs. She was very impressed by the instrumentation and the melodic flow of the songs too! There's hope for her yet!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 15:06
Really hoped to get to the Bath Forum gig (saw them there on the last tour) this Tuesday but work got in the way.. still feeling a bit miserable that i'll miss it. At least I saw them on the last tour and the 'Snowgoose' comeback tour before that at Salisbury.. Great to hear they're on form and that Andy is back in fine form.

Still waiting for PA's top Camel hater to drop in and tell us what a bunch of tasteless pussies we are WinkLOL

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 15:35
Hi Squonk!  Fantastic show!  Andy was on excellent form and it was great to see him playing so superbly and standing up for the whole show.

Strangely, I actually enjoyed the second half more than the first half Moonmadness set.

Whilst I'm familiar with the seventies Camel, I don't own the more recent albums, so I was hearing some tracks from these albums for the first time, and it's definitely inspired me to get their more recent stuff.

Peter Jones was excellent, and I was mesmerised by his saxophone solo on Rajaz.  Certainly a talented guy.

The only disappointment was that our seats were right at the end of the row, and although they'd said "possible restricted view" I had just assumed the theatre were being over cautious... Turned out they weren't, and my partner, who kindly sat at the very end of the row, couldn't see Andy Latimer at all.

I could only just see him, but she said it was like listening on CD because she couldn't see at all, so, unfortunately, her experience wasn't as positive as your wife's.

I had assumed that Andy Latimer would be positioned in the centre of the stage, but he was right over on the right hand side and a wall blocked the view (followed later by some chap standing up to do air guitar).

But still an incredible show, and so glad we made the journey from Nottingham to Newcastle to see it.  Glad you enjoyed it too
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 16:21
A really nice post, Chaser - a shame about the restricted view. I have such an emotional attachment to Moonmadness that the first set was very special. However, as someone else who, in complete honesty, didn't follow the band on the later albums as much - I was also very impressed by the second set, and I'm reacquainting myself with the likes of Dust and Dreams, Harbour of Tears and Stationary Traveller again and getting a refreshingly fresh view of them. Really hoping new material is on its way, as the Prog Magazine interview suggests. God, prog is really superb when it all comes together!

I look forward to being called a tasteless, mainstream pussy, Cosmiclawnmower! After his recent incoherent posts (bless him!), I couldn't give a flying ****!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 17:00
I'll go to the London show Monday 17 Sep. Haven't seen them live for more than - wait - half of my life (Dust and Dreams tour)! Oh my god, time flies. This will be the fourth time I see them and they were always excellent with a very warm presence, so I'm looking very forward to it.

Edited by Lewian - September 09 2018 at 17:00
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 10:06
Come to the US!!! 
Dox View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 21:13
Look this guys ...

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 00:05
Nice one! The spirit lives on in younger hands, it seems.
 Post Reply Post Reply