Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes: The Yes Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes: The Yes Album
    Posted: September 06 2018 at 04:31
Time to revisit another classic from the past. The Yes Album. Your thoughts please.

Edited by SteveG - September 06 2018 at 04:32
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 04:55
a classic album and one of my favorites from Yes :)
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 05:10
One of their four classics, alongside CTTE, Fragile, and Relayer

Steve Howe's guitar solo on Starship Trooper is one of my all time favourite pieces.
Songs cast a light on you
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 05:14
First album that I heard from Yes was Relayer, but I was then four or five years old so you can imagine I didn´t understand it fully. First to hit me was the Yes Album maybe five or six years later and specially Your Is No Disgrace, that´s still my favourite Yes song. With Pink Floyd & Jethro Yes was the first ones that got me really into prog. With Fragile the Yes Album is my all time Yes favourites, really hard to say which is better.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 07:00
One of their best, and stronger than Fragile
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 07:18
a superb album from start to finish.  I can never decide between this and CTTE  which is my favourite Yes LP
The Unifaun View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Unifaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 08:08
While CTTE is my favourite, this is still one of their best.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 09:32
I had Yessongs long before I heard The Yes Album so I found it rather tame compared to the live versions and have never considered it a "must have"...
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 09:53
This is by far my all #1 of the Yes album collection.   Love this to bits.   
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 10:57
My favorite Yes album just in front of CTTE & one of my all time favorites from any band.
Perpetual change doesn't get nearly enough love IMO, one of their best tracks.

Edited by Argo2112 - September 06 2018 at 10:59
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 11:29
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I had Yessongs long before I heard The Yes Album so I found it rather tame compared to the live versions and have never considered it a "must have"...
There´s one word that makes the Yes Album & Fragile just so so much better than Yessongs although I really much love also that live: Bruford.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 11:47
A truly great album - the start of the classic Yes sound and an album I consider ahead of Fragile and not too far behind Close to the Edge. Given that it doesn't have Rick Wakeman - so isn't the classic line up as such - credit to Tony Kaye for making Rick's absence not an issue (as Yessongs gives you a taste of Rick's classical flourishes anyway on many tracks). Tony's simpler, Hammond-based style works very well.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 12:17
Well said, Squonky, nothing more to add.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 12:26
The first album that I heard from them.....went back and bought the early ones later.
Starship Trooper is simply fantastic and the rest of the tracks aren't bad either. ;)
It has a great deal of sentimental value for me since it was an album we played a lot at college when in altered states of consciousness...and most of the girls I knew then (especially one special lady..) also liked it.
It was also my brother's favorite Yes LP....he's gone now, but when I play it I always think of his love for Starship Trooper.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 12:44
I've had a love affair with this album since I first heard it.  It was my first Yes record as well.  I think it's one of the finest rock recordings in history, prog or otherwise.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 13:50
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

There´s one word that makes the Yes Album & Fragile just so so much better than Yessongs although I really much love also that live: Bruford.

True, but Yessongs does give us Bruford and his drum solo on Perpetual Change Wink  
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 15:22
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Perpetual change doesn't get nearly enough love IMO, one of their best tracks.

Yep and both the studio and live versions are perfect for a hazy afternoon.  Big smile
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 20:15
Oh yeah Perpetual Change is a banger! 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 22:04

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

True, but Yessongs does give us Bruford and his drum solo on Perpetual Change Wink  
True. Liked to hear more material from that tour when Bruford was still in drums. Even the Word Is Live -live compilation there are no tracks from the 1972.

Edited by Mortte - September 06 2018 at 22:04
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 02:30
My third favourite album by Yes, after Close to the Edge and Fragile. All tbe longer tracks are superb, A Venture is a weak spot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>