Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes: Fragile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes: Fragile
    Posted: September 10 2018 at 06:50
The album that helped make Yes a household name. After all these years how do you view Fragile?
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 07:13
The first Yes album that I bought and the one that got me into them

Absolutely classic album and one of their four finest, even though, for me, CTTE and Relayer tower higher.
Songs cast a light on you
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 07:20
To be honest, I listen to Long Distance Runaround and Heart of the Sunrise a fair bit, the other tracks not so much. Probably heard Roundabout too much. Great album but I also rate CTTE, Relayer, TFTO, GFTO and probably The Yes Album above it.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 07:24
Far from my favourite, but it's very good. 
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 07:44
Great album but it falls behind the Yes album, CTTE & GFTO on my list. 
 Still, one of their best & a water shed album for Yes.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 08:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The album that helped make Yes a household name. After all these years how do you view Fragile?

I really thought the previous album was much more important, since it got everyone's attention to the band and helped the next album, which, of course, had a monster hit in it, which the previous album did not.

I think that some folks have this notion that Rick Wakeman is the one person that made the band better, but I think that the visions, and idea were already in place. 

For all the brouhaha, there are at least 3 or 4 songs, that continually show up in YES shows, and they came from THE YES ALBUM. That ought to specify things a bit better in my book. And it was "I've Seen All Good People" that got me into this band, and also a hard to find (at the time) version of America by Simon and Garfunkel they did which was rather nice!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 09:29
I view it as an oddity because of the "solo" songs.  That said, they make it an interesting album.  We Have Heaven, 5% and Mood are cool, never cared much for Fish and Cans & Brahms is just a boring waste of 1:42.  I know Wakeman couldn't put an original track on Fragile because he was still contractually bound to A&M, but that was the best he could do?  Years later, even he called it "dreadful".  Shoot, anything from Wendy Carlos Switched on Bach kicks it's ass LOL

At the same time it has some of Yes' best songs: Heart of the Sunrise is the first "perfect" Yes track.  South Side of the Sky is a wonderful aggressive rocker, Long Distance is cool and Roundabout is...well...it's been played to death on radio...but it was their big breakthrough song and still sounds great today...if you play it loud enough Wink

I don't listen to it nearly as much as Tales/Relayer but these days I give it more spins than CTTE so go figure...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 13:12
One of the holy trinity for me....Yes, Fragile, and CTTE....,while many like Relayer and TFTO better...those 3 will always be my favorites.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 15:22
My second favourite Yes album, just over The Yes Album and behind Close to the Edge. No bad tracks, only Cans and Brahms is sort of filler and 5% little more than a jingle, unfortunately. Best tracks: South Side of the Sky, Heart of the Sunrise and Mood for a Day.

Edited by someone_else - September 10 2018 at 15:23
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 15:55
Close to the Edge, The Yes Album and Fragile remain the classic trilogy for me too.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 16:07
I spin Fragile more than any other Yes album, including the lauded CTTE. Which is more of an iconic album now than it is a joyful album to listen to.
Production wise, Fragile, is much better than CTTE......I have 3 copies of CTTE including a 1/2 speed mastered, and my original 1971 Fragile blows it away.

It's a more funner record to listen to.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 16:08
"The Yes Album" is the album that got my attention in 1971.  And still does today.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 21:22
This was my first Yes album too... I don't remember if together with CttE, or if I bought that one a bit later. And they are both the only albums from the band I would give 5 stars. Even the solo songs don't really drag it down, even if Cans is indeed the weaker one. I have read Wakeman had written what ended up becoming Catherine of Aragon for his spot on this album, but well, he couldn't contribute songwriting... yet indeed that would have made this album even better.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 02:14
At the moment my favourite Yes-album, even better than the Yes Album, although heard this some years later than the Yes Album. Love it all, even Cans. never loved CttE as much, it took many years I even started to like the first side (second side has been great from the beginning).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 02:17
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

This was my first Yes album too... I don't remember if together with CttE, or if I bought that one a bit later. And they are both the only albums from the band I would give 5 stars. Even the solo songs don't really drag it down, even if Cans is indeed the weaker one. I have read Wakeman had written what ended up becoming Catherine of Aragon for his spot on this album, but well, he couldn't contribute songwriting... yet indeed that would have made this album even better.
If I remember correct, I have read somewhere Wakeman composed at least the middle part of South Side Of the Sky, but for that A&M contract he couldn´t have the credits from it. At least it sounded really much he´s style.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 21:55
^ Well, since it's all piano... however, that middle section is one of the hooks that kept me coming back to the album in the beginning, when I still couldn't make any sense out of their music.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 23:57
^Also to me with Roundabout South Side was the first songs that really hit me and that middle part is really a "salt" of that song! Maybe best composition he has made.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 21:24
^ Yeah, the middle sections of both Roundabout and South Side of the Sky for me helped me to come back to those songs, and the album, over and over. As well as the organ section on Close to the Edge... and I guess mostly all of And you And I.
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 13:24
I'm going to speak heresy now. I used to like Fragile a lot (my second Yes album) but actually I thought they went downhill just a teensy bit when Wakeman joined. To me their acme always was - and still is - The Yes Album. 

There are some nice things on Fragile - Heart Of The Sunrise is epic - but I'm not sure the idea of allowing each member of the band their own little virtuoso spot ever quite worked as well as it does on paper. Roundabout is also classic but possibly overplayed (by me), and there is some clever use of stereo separation. On the whole though, ditching Kaye for Wakeman wasn't the greatest move, even though Wakeman is a superb keys man.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 23:48
I would argue this has the best Yes tracks although a bit rough round the edges at times. Best prog line up of all time imo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>