The Prog Rock Covers by H.R. Giger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Prog Rock Covers by H.R. Giger
    Posted: September 14 2018 at 18:39
Originally posted by ReactioninG ReactioninG wrote:

Giger's work is poor and offputting. No one should compare him to Picasso. Dean is much better just because it is at least aesthetically pleasing. Hipgnosis often had very good and clever covers. Individual artists, of course, sometimes had wonderful covers on a consistent basis. The bulk of artists in the prog category either didn't have the money to hire Hipgnosis, Dean etc, had no ideas, or went for a cliche.

You've made it perfectly clear you don't like Giger. Guess what, some of us LOVE his work. To be honest, his album cover artwork is crap compared to his books Necronomicon I and II. That is some of the darkest, most surreal and creepy stuff i've ever seen. If you've never seen those books, then you really haven't experienced his art. He also created an entire museum in Chur, Switzerland (his birth town) that is like a 3D representation of his fantasy worlds. Offputting for you. Inspirational for others Wink

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 17:38
I love Giger's work...album covers, Alien films, the infamous Frankenchrist poster, book covers like "Giger's Necronomicon", his own collection "Biometrics".  Totally unique and disturbing, what more could I ask of an artist?  Definitely one of my top 5 favorite artists of all time Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - September 14 2018 at 17:39
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 17:21
Giger's work is poor and offputting. No one should compare him to Picasso. Dean is much better just because it is at least aesthetically pleasing. Hipgnosis often had very good and clever covers. Individual artists, of course, sometimes had wonderful covers on a consistent basis. The bulk of artists in the prog category either didn't have the money to hire Hipgnosis, Dean etc, had no ideas, or went for a cliche.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 16:45
I love creepy. I love Giger. Not a lot of prog covers but he did a lot of album covers in general.

Dammit. The pics didn't go through. From Rolling Stone. Check the link

Floh de Cologne, ‘Mumien – Kantate für Rockband’

Floh de Cologne, Mumien

Celtic Frost, ‘To Mega Therion’

Celtic Frost, To Mega Therion

Danzig, ‘Danzig III: How the Gods Kill’

Danzig, Danzig III: How the Gods Kill

Atrocity, ‘Hallucinations’

Atrocity, Hallucinations

Carcass, ‘Heartwork’

Carcass, Heartwork

Triptykon, ‘Eparistera Daimones’

Triptykon, Eparistera Daimones

Sacrosanct, ‘Recesses for the Depraved’

Sacrosanct, Recesse2 for the Depraved

Pankow, ‘Freiheit fuer die Sklaven’

Pankow, Freiheit fuer die Sklaven

Dead Kennedys, ‘Frankenchrist’

Dead Kennedys, Frankenchrist

Edited by siLLy puPPy - September 14 2018 at 16:46

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 12:25
Those early works of his are really rough.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 08:33
Originally posted by ReactioninG ReactioninG wrote:

Not great stuff.... creepy and kind of stupid creepy. Never liked the Brain Salad Surgery cover even. Bleh. Actually for all the celebration a lot of Prog album covers are quite bad... Some are celebrated for being memorable.. doesn't mean they are good pieces of art or event that they make sense...

I have no objections to any band, using a well known artist and their work, to help make a name for themselves.

It was no secret that many bands got a nice push by Roger Dean, and then Hipgnosis, and the famous one around the Fillmore, and Fank Zappa ... in many cases, these covers said a LOT about the music itself, and what it stood up for.

While the ideas and the visual material from H. R. Giger is very uncomfortable for many folks, so was Picasso's Guernica and many other paintings over the millennia. The fact is, that some of the best artists of many a time, had to shake the feathers and the dust of those that liked an art, or thought, or novel and the like.

Likewise, the events in France and Europe in the late 1700's also helped spin off a bunch of literature and arts that were very hard and harsh, but we don't sit here and discuss how this person's work or that is so scary and bad, and we seem to love the after scene with Frankenstein ... who, for all intents and purposes, was EVEN WRITTEN BY A WOMAN.

I, honestly, would rather have a piece of art on the cover, something that CD's and Downloads have completely killed and lowered the attention span of a band's material by an incredible amount, and we are left with having to find a new this or that ... as if we were blind.

Maybe it's for the best ... so that each and every artist can, and has to, stand up on their own and not necessarily rely on someone else to help ... however, I am a believer that if you don't have it inside, it doesn't matter if you use the best artist around to color your wardrobe.

And Mr. Giger, was not the only artist that showed up on many album covers. But I bet most of us do not have a decent list of anything that was not an album with those covers. We remember these because the LP was big and large, and the picture was awesome ... we don't even think that the CD's and Downloads these days, have any of that in them at all!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 08:24
Is she Prog?

ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 06:53
Not great stuff.... creepy and kind of stupid creepy. Never liked the Brain Salad Surgery cover even. Bleh. Actually for all the celebration a lot of Prog album covers are quite bad... Some are celebrated for being memorable.. doesn't mean they are good pieces of art or event that they make sense...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 14:10
If you want to stick to prog/related only:

He designed the hologram portion of the cover of Clepsydra's Hologram.

Nekropolis/Peter Frohmader — Cultes des Goules.

Steve Stevens — Atomic Playboys.

Beyond that, he supplied the cover art for a number of black/death/doom/goth metal bands, e.g. Celtic Frost, Horrified, Whores of Babylon, etc.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 14:05
Attahk by Magma
Image result for attahk magma (1978)

philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 12:47
So I am currently attempting to collect all the cover art that H.R. Giger did for various different bands, and in particular, those on the Progressive side of things.

I know the first he did was Walpurgis, for The Shiver.

I know of Floh de Cologne, Mummien

Brain Salad Surgery, ELP

Island's Pictures

Any other Prog or prog related covers that you know of that he did?
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
 Post Reply Post Reply