Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [23.44%]
40 [62.50%]
9 [14.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 14:05
Can is one of the few krautrock bands I listen to. I don't like the subgenre that much, and I don't play their records that often. Yes is quite possibly my favorite band, so there's that.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 14:08
More CAN is more betta.........(at least that has been my mood the past couple yrs)
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 14:44
I love both, but as much as I love Can, Yes is still way out front.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 15:38
Yes I can
Can I cannot
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 15:42
too damn tunny as Tago Mago blast forward from thy speakers here...

do listen more to Can 

but then again as much as for the brilliance of Can there is the fact that I can mentally listen to each and every 70's Yes album and every note from them in my head without ever putting on an album of theirs.   They are sort of ingrained in one's musical DNA...

Edited by micky - September 13 2018 at 15:43
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 15:53
For me it has to be Yes, they are one of my favorite bands and I've never actually listened to this 'Can.'

But once again it looks like Logan recommends it, so it's probably good. Man that was a fun album that he recommended on the other thread! Not sure about better than Gentle Giant at their best but boy.. that was from back when albums were a real adventure and I sure enjoyed that one! 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 16:14
^ did I read that right man.. you've never listened to Can?

I envy you brother.. for some day you will.. and will be like having 4 men achieve simultanious orgasms in your ears...

those kinds of discoveries are what makes this music so great. You are in for a treat when you get around to cleaning up that black mark on your prog fan resume...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 16:39
can
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 17:24
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I envy you brother.. for some day you will.. and will be like having 4 men achieve simultanious orgasms in your ears...

those kinds of discoveries are what makes this music so great. You are in for a treat when you get around to cleaning up that black mark on your prog fan resume...

Yeah them and 'Gong' I keep seeing mentioned on here but never got around to listening to either. And as far as that black mark on the resume, it's probably too late at this point since there's so many popular artists on here(particularly all those ones from Italy) that I haven't heard yet that.. there's just too many man. Anyway can  you recommend an album from Can for me to start with? I would appreciate it friend. 
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 17:45
I dig me more Yes!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 18:19
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Yeah them and 'Gong' I keep seeing mentioned on here but never got around to listening to either. And as far as that black mark on the resume, it's probably too late at this point since there's so many popular artists on here(particularly all those ones from Italy) that I haven't heard yet that.. there's just too many man. Anyway can  you recommend an album from Can for me to start with? I would appreciate it friend. 
Depends on what you're looking for. Ege Bamyasi tends to be the go-to starting album for Can as it exhibits both their propensity for insane improvisations and more self-contained numbers. Future Days is still open and improvisatory, but a lot more pleasant sounding, and it may give you a more favorable impression of the band. You could go chronologically too. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 21:11
I do love Yes and listen to them often enough. I don't yet know Can, so I guess it's perfectly safe to say that I listen to Yes more. However, I'm not sure it's fair to vote on this poll.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 22:09
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Voted for Yes. I haven't really checked out Can too much . I did listen to Future Days & liked it . Need to explore more. 
I believe you will like also Soundtracks, Tago-Mago (my favourite) & Ege Bamyasi. After Suzuaki albums are also really good, but those four are the greatest.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 00:05
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Itīs always possible you donīt like Can, but I think you should really get into Gong! Itīs full of positive energy, "You" could be your starting album. Just forget those Italians, my opinion is they just waste of time.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 07:40
I'd think of the first album of Tago Mago as the best introduction to the band. Rougher and more powerful than Future Days, Ege Bamyasi and Soon Over Babaluma but more varied and subtle than Monster Movie. Ultimately I love them all and they're more or less on a par but Tago Mago album one should be the best for recognizing at first listen what a force they were. (There's just the danger that the faint-hearted of the just converted get out of them again when listening to Tago Mago's second album. Cool)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 07:48
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Yes yes
Can can

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 09:35
Frankly, when it comes to the classic period, I listen to YES a little more than CAN. After that, I'm not so much into YES, specially their last few albums, so I would go with CAN in that context.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 10:43
Can are among my 10 favourite bands. Yes are not (actually neither of the so-called "Big Six" is).

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Gwydion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwydion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 10:47
I totally get what you’re saying about being able to hear some music note for note in your head. I'm suffering/enjoying it almost all the time these days.  
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:07
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'd think of the first album of Tago Mago as the best introduction to the band. Rougher and more powerful than Future Days, Ege Bamyasi and Soon Over Babaluma but more varied and subtle than Monster Movie. Ultimately I love them all and they're more or less on a par but Tago Mago album one should be the best for recognizing at first listen what a force they were. (There's just the danger that the faint-hearted of the just converted get out of them again when listening to Tago Mago's second album. Cool)
I don't know why most seem to skip Soundtracks - nothing but fantastic songs, pure listening joy from start to finish + its got Mother Sky! Anyway I started with Ege Bamyasi and that worked like a charm. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>