Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overrated Masterpieces?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Which of these do you feel may be a bit overrated?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [14.43%]
31 [31.96%]
12 [12.37%]
16 [16.49%]
24 [24.74%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 17:27
Thick as a Brick, I'm afraid. Side 2 doesn't do much for me as opposed to the strengths of Side 1.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 23:26
^ For me the problem with Thick as a Brick isn't a Side 1 vs Side 2 (though I do find Side 1 to be the stronger one), but in general both sides have great parts, yet they drag on a bit too much. I do love much better the live version of the song on Live, Bursting Out, than the studio Side 1, because it keeps exactly what I love from the song. The same could be done with Side 2.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 02:22
I love the whole Thick as a Brick! And always thought those shorter versions are just torso, donīt like to listen them much, of course I was glad theyīre played at least torso of it in the concert where I was.

If I am right, they never have played full Thick or a Passion Play many times.

Edited by Mortte - September 19 2018 at 02:23
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 08:57
none of these are over rated imo

They all changed the face of Prog in their own way
Prog On!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 17:15
I'd say that all of these in all probability have been both overrated and underrated by some individuals (claims made that are untrue, improbable or lacking evidence). The most compelling case in this thread for being overrated is for In the Court of the Crimson King (common claims that it surely was the first true Prog album), but I will abstain from voting. The album I least like of these is Close to the Edge, but to me, whether one likes it or doesn't shouldn't be a deciding factor, but instead it should depend on objective evidence and sound arguments for people overrating it (dubious or questionable claims to greatness or outright wrongness made out of ignorance).

I think that too many individuals claim that other people hold something in too high esteem just because said individuals don't appreciate it -- that not only often tends to show a lack of perspective and nuanced thinking, but also a lack of humility.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 17:23
ITCOTCK and SEBTP both have less than stellar moments but relative to the others DSOTM takes the cake for being by far the most over rated.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 21:41
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I love the whole Thick as a Brick! And always thought those shorter versions are just torso, donīt like to listen them much, of course I was glad theyīre played at least torso of it in the concert where I was.

I understand they did play the whole Thick as a Brick thing while they were touring the album... I think I have even read that they played an extended version of it. As for Passion Play, I have no idea.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 02:13
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I understand they did play the whole Thick as a Brick thing while they were touring the album... I think I have even read that they played an extended version of it. As for Passion Play, I have no idea.
They played also the whole Passion Play also in 1973 tour, but I donīt think not after that. There are really low quality audios in the YouTube from both. In Thick as a Brick there are funny piece, where phone rang in the middle of that very intensive period in the beginning of it! Someone of the band answers it and they continue playing right after where they left, also if I remember right there are some big rabbit on the stage in some part.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 06:59
From the bootlegs I've listened to, they didn't actually play all of Thick As A Brick on the tour. They extended many parts of it and added a few sections so that it lasted 80 minutes, but there were a couple sections that weren't played - mostly the second side; they'd skip from "218 babies wearing nylon!" to "Let me tell you the tales of your life". So they'd be missing "In the clear white circles" and "Do you believe in the day?".

Although Ian Anderson recently performed the whole thing live quite faithfully to the album on his TAAB2 tour (along with the sequel).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 07:04
^I think I have read that same thing about Thick from somewhere. Oh, I really would have like to be in that Anderson-concert (I think he didnīt play it in Finland, at least I havenīt heard anything about that).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 21:46
I guess it wouldn't have been easy to fit the whole Thick as a Brick and/or Passion Play in subsequent tours without leaving out a whole bunch of other songs. At best they could have played side one of Thick as a Brick, but apparently they didn't even do that. Fans might just as well be grateful that they did play those albums (more or less) whole while touring for them... they might not have done so for any of their other albums (nor many bands do so).
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 04:57
Overrated just means someone thinks the millions who like something are wrong.

None are overrated. They may indeed now be underrated as only the last of the prog type fans like 'em. Except maybe Dark Side as that broke on through to the hoi polloi.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 13:12
Oh, yeah, us "prog type" fans(?) are dying off in droves.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 04:23
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Oh, yeah, us "prog type" fans(?) are dying off in droves.

Underlying the underrated understanding...

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 06:15
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Overrated just means someone thinks the millions who like something are wrong.

funny.. I always took overrated to mean

over... rated

perfect example.  my vote.

ITCotCK.  people point it its greatness as not just musical but historical as athe first prog album. It wasn't. Most consider DavJack a year earlier to be the first true prog album.

so is that not being....overrated?.. and it doesn't have a damn thing to do with liking it. or not.

A close #2 would be the Genesis album...  and I love that album so what's love got to do with it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 06:19
I don't think any of the albums mentioned here are particularly overrated, in fact CTTE and Selling England are two of my all time favourites.  It's all just a matter of opinion...

Personally I can't stand any of Steven Wilsons music and I think he's a great big fraud but everyone else seems to think he's some kind of god and he's not mentioned here anyway so I can't vote for him, and probably no one would agree with me anyway......all just opinion innit....

Edited by flyingveepixie - September 23 2018 at 06:38
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 06:20
Originally posted by flyingveepixie flyingveepixie wrote:

I don't think any of the albums mentioned here are particularly overrated, in fact CTTE and Selling England are two of my all time favourites.  It's all just a matter of opinion...

Personally I can't stand any of Steven Wilsons music and I think he's a great big fraud but everyone else seems to think he's some kind of god and he's not mentioned here anyway so I can't vote for him....all just opinion innit....

micky's gonna give you a medal LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 06:38
hahaha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 14:13
Originally posted by flyingveepixie flyingveepixie wrote:

Personally I can't stand any of Steven Wilsons music and I think he's a great big fraud but everyone else seems to think he's some kind of god and he's not mentioned here anyway so I can't vote for him, and probably no one would agree with me anyway......all just opinion innit....

Nah, you are not alone. I think Wilson is a hack as well. Every single one of his albums is calculated and robotic, he lacks passion, musicianship and the ability to create something organic. Anyway, I'm glad he's not in the poll since I wouldn't put him near these great artists.

Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 15:23
Tull, and may be PF...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>