Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overrated Masterpieces?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Which of these do you feel may be a bit overrated?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [14.43%]
31 [31.96%]
12 [12.37%]
16 [16.49%]
24 [24.74%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overrated Masterpieces?
    Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:26
Let me start of by saying I like all of these albums to various degrees. Some are among my all time favorites and others I fell just has great moments so no disrespect intended here.  These are generally  regarded as some of the best prog rock albums of all time. 

So which of these (if any) do you feel may be a little overrated?
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:29
None LOL
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:34
I don't think any of these is overrated, but DSOTM is my least favorite.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:38
Everything Floyd's done is overrated, meaning it's regarded like prog rock's high water mark.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 11:59
None are among my personal favourites (except perhaps KC-debut) but with just the right amount of innovation, likability and timing for its release - its not that hard to understand how they got their position. All very strong albums. Perhaps only "modern" jazz has a comparably diverse and musically interesting "big six".  

... I just had to follow up on that thought... Based on popularity combined with some credibility - and not allowing more than one Miles or Coltrane-album each (and excluding fusion), that would probably be something like: 

Kind of Blue (Davis) 
 A Love Supreme (Coltrane) 
 The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (Mingus) 
 Time Out (Brubeck)
 Sunday At The Village Vanguard (Evans) and either 
 Out To Lunch (Dolphy) or 
 Shape of Jazz to Come (Coleman)

-Maybe it has to be seven. But yeah that's kind of impressive...

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 12:03
I'm not keen on the o-word. If the average prog listener likes this-or-that album more than me I'm just fine with that. I'm not in a better position to rate these than anybody else.
Apart from that all of these are very good and I surely don't mind that something is rated 4.6 on PA that I'd rate 4.3 or so.

Edited by Lewian - September 14 2018 at 12:12
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 12:17
None of the. They might not appeal to somebody's taste, but that doen't mean they are over rated.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 12:32
None from the list are 'overrated' in my view. They really are deservedly up there near the top of the prog tree. Do I have preferences? Yes- but my prog playlist would be a lesser beast without any of these.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 12:39
I knew using the " O " word would raise some eyebrows. Like I said, I like all of these to various degrees. 
Just seemed to be a good way to start a discussion.Wink

Edited by Argo2112 - September 14 2018 at 12:39
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 12:39
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

None from the list are 'overrated' in my view. They really are deservedly up there near the top of the prog tree. Do I have preferences? Yes- but my prog playlist would be a lesser beast without any of these.

Exactly!
PROGMATIC
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 12:40
"none" should be a voting option; it would trounce all the rest.
PROGMATIC
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 13:00
Itchycock. Its historic significance is undeniable, this album is a milestone in the history of progressive rock. And surely it has some masterpiece content. But it takes something else than 10 minutes of playing with toys or mellotron-drenched hyperglycaemia to make the album a masterpiece.

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 13:50
I agree "overated" is s big call for any of these masterpieces

However, for me ITCOTCK, whilst unquestionably a landmark album is not the best KC album, so that got my vote

DSOTM is a great album but Floyd just doesn't do it for me the way some other bands do

CTTE could never be overrated. Ever.
Songs cast a light on you
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 13:55
Well, I think Close to the Edge is little bit overrated. Specially the title track in the very beginning has sounded to me just "we all show our skills at the same time". Fragile & the Yes Album has always been masterpieces to me, but not CttE.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 14:03
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Well, I think Close to the Edge is little bit overrated. Specially the title track in the very beginning has sounded to me just "we all show our skills at the same time".

I love the title track and I don't see it as "showing off" at all. I think the intricate opening section is essential to create the atmosphere that is a key aspect of the track.
Songs cast a light on you
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:25
I thoroughly like all of those except for Pink Floyd's. I do like their earlier stuff though. 

Piper at the Gates of Dawn is nearly an antidote to Dark Side of the Moon; a gleeful Bright Side of the Lunacy Moon. Syd Barrett provided what Gilmour never could, and helped balance out the sometimes dominating effect of Waters.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 14 2018 at 15:29
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:46
In my opinion (and that's purely personal), I think all of them are overrated to some extent.
None of them would make my top 5 albums. SEBTP would make the top 10 and CTTE and DSOTM would make my top 50. TAAB would be in the top 100 and ITCOTCK wouldn't make the top 1000, despite its immense significance.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:47
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

I thoroughly like all of those except for Pink Floyd's. I do like their earlier stuff though. 

Piper at the Gates of Dawn is nearly an antidote to Dark Side of the Moon; a gleeful Bright Side of the Lunacy Moon. Syd Barrett provided what Gilmour never could, and helped balance out the sometimes dominating effect of Waters.

Gilmour provided far more than Barrett ever did. He gave them direction and focus.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:49
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

In my opinion (and that's purely personal), I think all of them are overrated to some extent.
None of them would make my top 5 albums. SEBTP would make the top 10 and CTTE and DSOTM would make my top 50. TAAB would be in the top 100 and ITCOTCK wouldn't make the top 1000, despite its immense significance.
Funny. None of these are anywhere near my top ten - or fifty... or even hundred but I still don't consider them to be overrated.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 17:09
CTTE
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>