Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Okay, that's it, which one's Yes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Okay, that's it, which one's Yes?
    Posted: September 14 2018 at 17:25
We have two live albums now by the current Yes lineups:

Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman: Live at the Apollo

White, Howe, Downes and friends: Topographic Drama: Live Across America

I say it only cements my belief that Yes is represented by Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman's band and not the Post-Squire continuity band.

Can't wait for the new album by Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman either!

What say you?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 18:34
I say Rush are still the only intact rock band left in the world... even after their "retirement".
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 20:47
I don't know which one is the real Yes... I guess strictly speaking if one has to decide it would be the one with Steve Howe... however, I'm much more interested in what AWR are doing. What little I have heard from the new live album sounds much better to me... I don't really expect to buy any of the live albums with Davison (he just sort of kills the songs), but I guess I have to get this one. And if I get the chance to see any of both versions of Yes live, I would much rather see AWR (even if I expect Howe's Yes might actually have a better set-list). And I'm really looking forward for AWR's studio album.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 21:32
Originally posted by ReactioninG ReactioninG wrote:

We have two live albums now by the current Yes lineups:

Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman: Live at the Apollo

White, Howe, Downes and friends: Topographic Drama: Live Across America

I say it only cements my belief that Yes is represented by Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman's band and not the Post-Squire continuity band.

Can't wait for the new album by Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman either!

What say you?

oh not much... just eating a box of Rosemary-Olive Oil Biscuits and some yummy pineapple-jalopeno hummus and chasing it with some iced tea.. while listening to a BIlly Holliday CD. Typical Friday night since I settled down.. yeah getting old sucks... in my glory days I'd probably be drunk and stoned enough to the point of either showing my vocal chops on the Karaoke machine or my dance moves on a pool table while slowly stripping my clothes off to the sounds of Foghat coming from the Jukebox

what say you?
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 22:22
Both are Yes.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 05:46
Neither. There is no Yes without Squire and Bruford.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 10:37
I don't really see why there has to be one; they both offer something a little different and they both have their drawbacks. One thing I like about the Howe lineup is that they don't seem to be playing the same setlist over and over again like ARW; they'll dig a bit deeper into the 70's catalogue and play some more obscure songs or complete albums.

Not going to get into outrageous statements like there can't be Yes without so and so... If the guys who made these songs want to put a band together and keep playing them, all the power to them! And if people will keep paying for concert tickets, all the better for the musicians.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 12:07
Rejoice that they are not going "New Trolls", they had at least 12 different "versions".
A lot of those at the same time too.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 12:10
There are some bands, and artists, to whom the word irreplaceable applies.

When Gabriel left Genesis, the band eventually went with Collins as a replacement. To those who think this was unthinkable, it did actually make a lot of sense, in that Collins had contributed to the vocal sound of Genesis, so was not so much of a weird thought. As it happened, he brought a fresh dynamic to the band, and for someone who initially on Nusery Cryme and Selling England sounded uncannily like Gabriel, when he took over the lead duties, it was something different. It was not a tribute band (I really dislike tribute bands).

So, what I am saying here is that Gabriel was unique, and the band did not try to simply replace him with a soundalike. They did something different, whether you liked that something different, or not.

Similarly, Crimson. You really cannot compare Lake with Wetton, with Belew, with Jaksyck. Each time, they have tried something different. They have, ahem, progressed.

Yes, the "official" version, have not. They have now had two attempts at replacing the irreplaceable, with poor old Benoit, who did a good job on Fly From Here, but could not cope with classic tracks live, to young Anderson, who is quite simply a tribute singer designed to reproduce the classic vocal sound. He doesn't, I am afraid. It is not the same. Why? Because
Anderson Senior, Jon, is irreplaceable. Unique. Incredible.

It is like our youth. Fond memories, indeed. But never quite the same.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 12:44
ARW is more Yes than Yes at this stage. ARW boasts an original member; "Yes" does not.

Rick Wakeman > Geoff Downes.

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 13:50
Having seen both bands on their last tour, and enjoyed them both equally - I don't feel the need to choose.

Steve Howe's guitar carries the 'official' band very well and makes up for a slight lack of omphh from Jon Davison on vocals and Geoff Downes' solid, if not necessarily exhilarating keyboard sound.

ARW with Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman outperform both of them, but Trevor Rabin won't be able to capture that Steve Howe sound (and frankly I don't expect him to) and he obviously covers the 90125-era material perfectly.

Both bands miss the towering presence of the great Chris Squire, despite having bass players of a high quality, or even a Bill Bruford or fully fit Alan White touring. So both can only be pale shadows of the class band at their peak. However, let's enjoy them both performing while we can. Hearing Tales or Awaken played very well from each of them respectively last time was joy enough. Just a shame the history between them means getting a second 'union' together is very unlikely.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 14:15
Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman

Hard to imagine any Yes without Anderson.

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 14:29
I didn't know Tony Levin played drums for ARW!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 19:38
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Yes, the "official" version, have not. They have now had two attempts at replacing the irreplaceable, with poor old Benoit, who did a good job on Fly From Here, but could not cope with classic tracks live, to young Anderson, who is quite simply a tribute singer designed to reproduce the classic vocal sound. He doesn't, I am afraid. It is not the same. Why? Because
Anderson Senior, Jon, is irreplaceable. Unique. Incredible.

It is like our youth. Fond memories, indeed. But never quite the same.

Well said, Steve!   

I would have been more impressed with Howe's "Yes" if they had recruited a female vocalist as a way of breaking new ground vs. trying to recreate the contra-tenor vocals of Jon Anderson.  However, they went the same "easy" route that many other bands went with, recruiting tribute band vocalists who were pale imitations at best of the real thing.  

I'd say that AWR carries the mantle of "authentic" Yes more convincingly. Howe's band has no founding member, and Anderson's band hews more to the historic flavor of Yes.  

As long as both versions satisfy some fans, I see little harm in both continuing to tour.  Wishbone Ash has a similar bifurcation, and fans seem to deal with it.  I enjoy both versions of WA quite a bit.  

Cheers! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 20:57
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Having seen both bands on their last tour, and enjoyed them both equally - I don't feel the need to choose.

Steve Howe's guitar carries the 'official' band very well and makes up for a slight lack of omphh from Jon Davison on vocals and Geoff Downes' solid, if not necessarily exhilarating keyboard sound.

ARW with Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman outperform both of them, but Trevor Rabin won't be able to capture that Steve Howe sound (and frankly I don't expect him to) and he obviously covers the 90125-era material perfectly.

Both bands miss the towering presence of the great Chris Squire, despite having bass players of a high quality, or even a Bill Bruford or fully fit Alan White touring. So both can only be pale shadows of the class band at their peak. However, let's enjoy them both performing while we can. Hearing Tales or Awaken played very well from each of them respectively last time was joy enough. Just a shame the history between them means getting a second 'union' together is very unlikely.

I guess the closest they could get to showing us the true Yes would be if they could work out their differences and get together the Hall of Fame line-up for Roundabout, with Anderson, Howe, Rabin, Wakeman, White... and Jeddy Lee. Perhaps to really capture the greatness to the drums from their good old days they would need some younger drummer to help out White.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 13:28
The one with the fake audience noise

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 04:03
There's no YES without Chris Squire.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 07:40
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

This is weird ... so there is no Beethoven, because he is dead ... or worse ... deaf!

Music, always continues and you are not well versed enough, (neither am I!) to even be able to find which version of Stravinsky is better, his own, or someone else's?

These folks have the right to go about playing ... and there are hundreds of "classical" music goons that aren't worth a nickel, that think they deserve the spotlight that the folks in YES have in one way or another.

It doesn't matter who is YES.

What matters is the celebration of the music, and the fact that after almost 50 years, we still love it dearly to the point of thinking that our grandma and grandpa were totally stupid to not like it, and instead had to listen to that ugly schlatter (spelling) instead, and think it was "great" simply because it was in a movie poster and supported by a movie studio.

Wake up! Music lives on, like it or not ... and if you don't then go home! Or go see a cheap band in the next bar and drown your emotions on something that has some meaning for you that has long left the building.

I find it weird that so many of us get older, and we can not find a PERSPECTIVE for the 40 or 50 years for the fact that this stuff has lived on ... and we have died since it came out, because we can't listen to anything else?

RW is not better than GD, or vice versa. They are both excellent players, although RW is probably going to get a lot more credit for his connection to classical music and well versed style and variety in the same piece of music, which GD can only copy and not exactly do, even in his own compositions.

If anything, see these folks because they are the STANDARD of quality for that time ... not just a pop song ... and if you see this for anything else, I would think that this is not about music, but just your own long dead memories that you are hoping to maintain alive a bit longer unsuccessfully.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 20:58
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

There is no Yes without Jon Anderson either.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 05:02
You do lose about 90% without squire....but if they still want to play the back catalogue...who cares...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>