Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Okay, that's it, which one's Yes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 05:40
Bring it on. The more Yeses, the merrier. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 08:13
I saw the Steve Howe/ Alan White Yes shortly after Chris passed away. I just didn't feel the same . Too many key components missing.  You don't really realize what a force of nature Chris Squire was until he's not there. I don't think either can compare to the classic line up but if I had to pick one now I would have to go with ARW.  

Edited by Argo2112 - September 18 2018 at 08:15
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 09:23
Like the old saying, "What's in a Name?"

It doesn't matter any more in the world of "Yes". And we haven't even mentioned the older Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe.

Gong and Hawkwind also spawned variants. It's all okay. Just enjoy the music, if you can.

Bruford said it best years ago, when it came to names for ABWH. He would have been okay calling that band "The Frogs" or "The Devils". No big deal.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 18 2018 at 09:27
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 12:06
There are so many bands doing this these days.......The problem is we as fans of the 70s-80s music that was put out, is nothing like it is today by these variants. And I am not saying it is bad, that is subjective, left to you to decide.
But not only Yes but even later bands like The Flower Kings are doing the same, variants galore are coming out that you lose perspective of what they are trying to accomplish. A band is put on "hiatus" by the leader and then other stuff gets released, I don't get that part.
Porcupine Tree has been on hiatus since what 2010-11, but you have not seen any PT type music being issued by a PT variant.
Dream Theater SHOULD have gone on hiatus, that music truly has been krapp for the past 3 albums......Zero emotion and heart in the music.

Rather than Yes try and sound like Yes, they should create something different, since the band is different now.
When I spin Fragile, and then spin 90125........They are different bands and sounds and music.

They are not the Yes we used to know.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 12:38
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

You don't really realize what a force of nature Chris Squire was until he's not there

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 14:44
The last time I saw Yes (10 years ago?) I (somehow) managed to be seated in the front row, right in front of Mr Squire- a behemoth of a man wearing, quite frankly, the tightest and most inappropriate pair of trousers for a man his age and during the concert he kept standing with one foot on the monitor grinning and winking at my companion (who was blushing like mad) and I. It was a fantastic gig and the guy is an absolute hero; I will never forget it.
I don't care how many 'Yes' bands there are out there- as long as people want to play it and as long as people want to keep hearing it then that's fine. I'm happy with my memories thanks ;)

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 15:33
Some tribute/cover bands perform the Yes classics nearly as well as the original lineup!!  The guitarist is particularly amazing! 

Edited by cstack3 - September 18 2018 at 15:35
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 18:03
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

There's no YES without Chris Squire.

There is no Yes without Jon Anderson either.

I don't really agree with either of these statements, but if I did, I would have to add:

There is no Yes without Steve Howe.

I don't care that he wasn't on the first two albums. He was such a good fit for the band that the first album he was on was literally The Yes Album, despite the fact that there already was the Yes album. He co-wrote Roundabout, Close to the Edge, and Awaken. You think the nonsensical hippie lyrics were all Jon Anderson's? Nope, Howe and Anderson co-wrote the lyrics to Topographic Oceans (and I think a good portion of the music). Take that as you may, but Howe was an important part of the Yes attitude.

I'm sure there are some differing opinions, but to me, the definitive Yes line-up is the one that did Fragile and Close To The Edge - must be a popular opinion in the prog community because those are their most highly rated albums here. I don't mean to discredit Bruford and Wakeman, but their 3rd highest rated album, Relayer, proves that there can be Yes without either of them.

Edited by ForestFriend - September 18 2018 at 22:01
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 19:52
If there's no Yes without Steve Howe, then there's definitely no Yes without a Wakeman (either Rick or Oliver)!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 21:40
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

There's no YES without Chris Squire.

There is no Yes without Jon Anderson either.

I don't really agree with either of these statements, but if I did, I would have to add:

There is no Yes without Steve Howe.

I don't care that he wasn't on the first two albums. He was such a good fit for the band that the first album he was on was literally The Yes Album, despite the fact that there already was the Yes album. He co-wrote Roundabout, Close to the Edge, and Awaken. You think the nonsensical hippie lyrics were all Jon Anderson's? Nope, Howe and Anderson co-wrote the lyrics to Topographic Oceans (and I think a good portion of the music). Take that as you may, but Howe was an important part of the Yes attitude.

I'm sure there are some differing opinions, but to me, the definitive Yes line-up is the one that did Fragile and Close To The Edge - must be a popular opinion in the prog community because those are their most highly rated albums here. I don't mean to discredit Bruford and Wakeman, but their 3rd highest rated album, Relayer, proves that there can be Yes with either of them.

Yeah, well. I'm not really all that serious about no Anderson no Yes (perhaps just a little bit), but it was mostly trying to make a point. Anderson is just as important for the band as Squire, if not even slightly more so, and yet Yes has been working without Anderson for almost a decade now. And yes, Steve Howe is just as important to THE sound of the band. As much as I love Bruford and Wakeman (Rick might just as well be my favourite of the bunch), they just left too soon (or too many times), so it was clear the band could keep their sound without them (if only Rick had remained consistently in the band, he would certainly be as important... for me he is the keyboardist who achieves that symphonic and versatile sound best for the band).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 00:20
So does anyone care whether Yes put out any decent new music? I presume the last decent album deserving of the YES name was probably was Magnification ( I'm not a fan of FFH) and that had both Howe and Anderson (Wakeman was cleverly replaced by an orchestra!) and they have been the creative hub of the band since 1971. So really neither as it stands. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 10:56
The last Yes album I bought was FFH, I don't play it. Magnification is good yup, albeit missing a keyboardist.......I struggle with Yes albums after Big Generator, the catalog just gets too big and the efforts are tough to understand.
I don't need to spend much time trying to get later albums, there is more than enough older material that keeps me smiling. Listening to music should not be a chore or a struggle, I'm at the point now that if it hits me quickly then awesome! If not, it will get pushed back to the end and just become part of my collection.....
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 11:01
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The last Yes album I bought was FFH, I don't play it. Magnification is good yup, albeit missing a keyboardist.......I struggle with Yes albums after Big Generator, the catalog just gets too big and the efforts are tough to understand.
I don't need to spend much time trying to get later albums, there is more than enough older material that keeps me smiling. Listening to music should not be a chore or a struggle, I'm at the point now that if it hits me quickly then awesome! If not, it will get pushed back to the end and just become part of my collection.....
My sentiments exactly. I don't begrudge anyone if they can "get" some artist's newer albums but if I can't then I just crank up the back catalogue. That goes for Rush, Yes, Kansas, etc., and especially Dream Theater with that new Mangini dude. ;)

Edited by SteveG - September 19 2018 at 11:03
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 14:54
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Neither. There is no Yes without Squire and Bruford.

If that's the case then there hasn't been a Yes since 1972. Confused
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 21:55
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

So does anyone care whether Yes put out any decent new music? I presume the last decent album deserving of the YES name was probably was Magnification ( I'm not a fan of FFH) and that had both Howe and Anderson (Wakeman was cleverly replaced by an orchestra!) and they have been the creative hub of the band since 1971. So really neither as it stands. 

I do like Fly From Here as much as any post-classic era albums... which is I like (or love) a few songs, and don't really care for the rest, so I really wouldn't do without it. And yes, I think Magnification is one of their best albums since the 70's... though I'm not so sure about how cleveryly they replaced Wakeman... if you hear the Live at Montreux version of "In the Presence of" you can hear just how he was missed on the original version (that piano intro just takes another level while played by Wakeman instead of... well, Alan White). And yes, I do am hoping AWR will do something good with their next studio album. I do hope Wakeman has his good share of input this time.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 06:52
I didn't realize it until yesterday, but apparently ARW has released a single from their latest album:

Maybe it's just the really poor mix/compression, but it doesn't really sound much more promising than anything the other Yes has released lately. Reminds me more of Talk than anything. Maybe they've just chosen the most poppy song to release as a single, and the real meat is on the album.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 10:39
The danger is when the band name becomes more important than anything else, including the music. The name becomes a monolith that takes attention away from what really matters. 

The whole "Yes Mess" is in danger of becoming just that. The pretentious of it all smothers what used to be a healthy and flowing band. Listen to the unrestrained freedom and naturality of their first album, for example, and compare it to what's going on now. Maybe the ages and lifetime of experiences of the members is getting in the way too.

The affairs and politics of the current bands resemble machines and mechanisms more than creative and healthy bands.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 20 2018 at 10:42
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 11:52
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I tend to agree...and I would say the last really decent thing they did was Drama, and that wasn't even all of the original members either. So....personally I don't own anything beyond that time frame (except for 90125) and usually play only the classic ones anyway. Really...GFTO was the last really solid/great Yes album for me.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 12:13
Yes is bigger than any one individual. No specific person is essential for Yes to be Yes, and history proves it.

Jon Anderson? No, Drama is an excellent Yes album.
Chris Squire? No, ABWH is Yes in all but name.
Rick Wakeman? No, The Yes Album, Relayer, and many more great Yes albums.

Examples like that can be found for every member.

Having that said, I saw AWR live a few months ago and they did not perform well. And the set list they play is very "safe". The Howe version is perhaps more interesting at this point, but both are versions of Yes.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 09:16
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

You don't really realize what a force of nature Chris Squire was until he's not there

I don't know if we realize how valuable Chris might have been in terms of the presentation and composition side of YES. I have this feeling that he demanded a certain amount of quality and value that somehow has been missing, when he is not there, and that is not to say that the other folks are not good, I simply think that they do not know or understand the value of making sure that things are tighter and better ... than just plain.

But, that's the weird part ... it's hard to say, for me, that Stravinsky is better as a conductor than Leonard Bernstein was with that material many years later ... so, for me, the point is that the desire to be sharper and more detailed about the work, simply is not there. It's like it's just there for the sake of being there, to appease the fans, rather than celebrate the beauty and quality of the music itself. 

Saw AWR and it was not bad, and also got the DVD of Anderson with Ponty ... and while both are fine, the AWR was really missing the touches of the original band, and definitely missing a Steve Howe, and the other band, while good, I am not sure that it really could take of ... Ponty was an interesting addition, but he did not improve the YES material a whole lot, and I doubt that Anderson could improve Ponty's material with lyrics.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>