6 [21.43%]
4 [14.29%]
3 [10.71%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 23:20
^ For me the very best song from that album is that Poderosa Muerte one, which might actually be among my favourite songs in spanish. But don't expect the rest of the album to sound the same way. I guess I should get something more from that band, anyway, since they do have an interesting sound. I remember about an argentinian band Vox Dei... I don't know why they came to mind, I haven't really heard much from them, except for a non prog (but extremely popular) band doing an obscure (but really great) cover from one of their songs, called Genesis (I believe it comes from the album "La Biblia", which seems to be their most popular one). Now, I'm giving a blind recommendation there, but I have been right about such things before, so who knows (I have the impression they would have a somewhat psychedelic sound, and they are from the early 70's).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 02:19
^Thanx a lot, I will listen also Vox Dei! I listened yesterday whole "Alturas De Macchu Picchu", although there were some parts I didnīt like much (some eighties synth sounds, also some songs little bit funny) I like it as a whole. And yes, that La Poderosa is the best song in it. I am going to definitely listen their 1971 album El Volantin, just because I love really much end of sixties/begin of seventies sounds! Anyway at the moment I think Os Mutantes is greater.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 03:03
You forgot Profeta by Armando Tirelli from Uruguay.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 05:40
Poll is irrelevant without Nexus....
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 21:16
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^Thanx a lot, I will listen also Vox Dei! I listened yesterday whole "Alturas De Macchu Picchu", although there were some parts I didnīt like much (some eighties synth sounds, also some songs little bit funny) I like it as a whole. And yes, that La Poderosa is the best song in it. I am going to definitely listen their 1971 album El Volantin, just because I love really much end of sixties/begin of seventies sounds! Anyway at the moment I think Os Mutantes is greater.

Do let me know if you find some other album / song from Los Jaivas that I should check out. So far I have only heard Alturas de Matchu Pitchu, and haven't gotten around to see if there is anything else I might like (I guess I should, since I really like those prehispanic flutes).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 22:03
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Do let me know if you find some other album / song from Los Jaivas that I should check out. So far I have only heard Alturas de Matchu Pitchu, and haven't gotten around to see if there is anything else I might like (I guess I should, since I really like those prehispanic flutes).
Sure. Well, I am not sure, how far I will go with them, you know they have a quite huge discography, also I have found recent years really much great music that I havenīt got time to listen enough (I want to listen great albums dozens of times). It depends how is El Volantin, maybe I listen also some other seventies album anyway. I listened La Biblia yesterday, as you said it has something psychedelic, specially I liked the sounds, also there are some great melodic, almost prog pieces, but also some guitar heronism, that I am not very much into this moment. What I read about them from wikipedia, there are not anything else to discover from them, because the next albums went into hard rock direction.

Have you listened Os Mutantes? If not, then I think you should listen at least O A e o Z-album, it was recorded 1973, but released 1992, because record company thought in the seventies it would not sell. It is their most prog album, "Tudo Foi Feto" has also some prog, but also some quite heavy stuff that I believe record company had wanted them to do.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 21:33
^ From Jaivas I was thinking about going with their compilation album and just leave it at that... but even that I haven't got into. Nice to hear that La Biblia was at least interesting... perhaps you might check out the version of "Genesis" played by Soda Stereo... that's the one I have heard and really like (they are by no means a prog band, but I do like them, and that song, well, it's not very famous because they played it in an unplugged album, and didn't even include it in the original release). And I don't know Os Mutantes, except by name... perhaps I could give them a try. The brazilian one that I know is Bacamarte, with their very good "Depois do Fim"... specially the song "Ultimo Entardecer" is brilliant.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 05:05
^Well, as I have said, I am album guy, very rare listen just songs. And not ever been much interest as covers, specially new covers from the old songs. But itīs my sauna day today and after that I drink some beer and watch YouTube, so itīs possible I check is there some vid from that.

I think itīs very possible you will like that album from Os Mutantes I recommended, it has some Yes, but not too much.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 05:27
There's good bands/music from all these countries. For any kind of music I would have gone for Brazil but Los Jaivas are always charming and the couple of Akineton Retard-albums I got are awesome. So Chile for the selections of this poll.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 13:03

Can somebody recommend me bands from these (could be also some others from those countries) that have started in the end of sixties and have same kind of great psychedelic period as Os Mutantes? Also I am interested bands, that have great, sad melodies and use acoustic and/or ethnic instruments.

I am NOT interested very complex, electric instruments played, highly same kind of prog as Yes, Genesis or King Crimson (really donīt recommend me anything like Gentle Giant). Just read Bubu information about prog archives and it just doesnīt sound very interesting for me.

I recommend you Arco Iris!!!! the album Agitor Lucens V, fits like a glove with your description.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=11532
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 13:47
^ It does
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 17:24
can I choose my own trio? :p 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 17:56
I'm voting for Argentina mostly on the strength of Bubu's Anabelas. I think that's a stunning album. I used to like Crucis very much, but haven't listened to them in many years. I have heard some Invisible. I guess that my Argentinean trio would be Bubu, Arco Iris, and M.I.A. (bonus: Las Orejas y la Lengua).

From Brazil, I like all of the choices. A Barca do Sol and Satwa are two others that I like very much.

From Mexico, I love Nazca plus some others.

From Peru, I do like Flor de Loto a lot.

Edited by Logan - September 21 2018 at 18:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 20:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm voting for Argentina mostly on the strength of Bubu's Anabelas. I think that's a stunning album. I used to like Crucis very much, but haven't listened to them in many years. I have heard some Invisible. I guess that my Argentinean trio would be Bubu, Arco Iris, and M.I.A. (bonus: Las Orejas y la Lengua).

From Brazil, I like all of the choices. A Barca do Sol and Satwa are two others that I like very much.

From Mexico, I love Nazca plus some others.

From Peru, I do like Flor de Loto a lot.

You should check Bubu's new album "El Eco Del Sol" right now if you haven't
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 21:36

^Well, as I have said, I am album guy, very rare listen just songs. And not ever been much interest as covers, specially new covers from the old songs. But itīs my sauna day today and after that I drink some beer and watch YouTube, so itīs possible I check is there some vid from that.

I think itīs very possible you will like that album from Os Mutantes I recommended, it has some Yes, but not too much.

So does Depois do Fim, there are parts it almost seems Howe is playing. And then the singer has an Annie Haslam touch to here singing.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 02:15
Robot has been very nasty to me, hope this will now go on:

Progmind: You were right! I really loved Agitor, at the moment I think itīs the best prog album Iīve heard from South-America! Really going to listen more Arco Iris! It has acoustic & also psychedelic elements, but mostly itīs just great prog. Really essential to all who search great melodies from prog instead instrumental m****b*ti*n. It is also really interesting that in Agitor there are same kind of "mystic nature"-feelings as in Finnish prog, although I believe South-American musicians were not influenced Finnish prog or vice versa (well on the other hand I remember some Finnish people in the seventies were interested Chileīs situation).

Dellinger, sorry to say to you, but "Depois Do Fim" is just that prog I am not very much into at the moment. The best moments in that album are those melodic pieces when Jane is singing, also I liked those panflutes (to me they sounded not ordinary flutes), but theyīre enough great I can listen also those instrumental pieces again. Specially "Controversia" is great example of whatīs wrong in prog, also why some music listeners hate prog. I think Os Mutantes is much more personal than Bacamarte, although you can hear some Yes also in it (at least Richenbacher bass!). But I believe many, who are really much into Yes CttE & TFTO-period, love more this Bacamarte-album than Going For the One from same year.

About that first Los Jaivas-album, I find it quite interesting, but itīs possible not good in your opinion. Itīs really interesting mix of Chile folk music, psychedelia & experimental, but very little prog. Anyway I think I will listen them also more.

Edited by Mortte - September 23 2018 at 02:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 09:32

Robot has been very nasty to me, hope this will now go on:<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; widows: 2; orphans: 2">
[COLOR=#000000]<font face="Tahoma, Verdana]Progmind: You
were right! I really loved Agitor, at the moment I think itīs the
best prog album Iīve heard from South-America! Really going to
listen more Arco Iris! It has acoustic & also psychedelic
elements, but mostly itīs just great prog. Really essential to all
who search great melodies from prog instead instrumental
m****b*ti*n. It is also really interesting that in Agitor there are
same kind of "mystic nature"-feelings as in Finnish prog,
although I believe South-American musicians were not influenced
Finnish prog or vice versa (well on the other hand I remember some
Finnish people in the seventies were interested Chileīs situation).[/COLOR]

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; widows: 2; orphans: 2">

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; widows: 2; orphans: 2">
[COLOR=#000000]<font face="Tahoma, Verdana]Dellinger,
sorry to say to you, but "Depois Do Fim" is just that prog
I am not very much into at the moment. The best moments in that album
are those melodic pieces when Jane is singing, also I liked those
panflutes (to me they sounded not ordinary flutes), but theyīre
enough great I can listen also those instrumental pieces again.
Specially "Controversia" is great example of whatīs wrong
in prog, also why some music listeners hate prog. I think Os Mutantes
is much more personal than Bacamarte, although you can hear some Yes
also in it (at least Richenbacher bass!). But I believe many, who are
really much into Yes CttE & TFTO-period, love more this
Bacamarte-album than Going For the One from same year.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]<font face="Tahoma, Verdana]About
that first Los Jaivas-album, I find it quite interesting, but itīs
possible not good in your opinion. Itīs really interesting mix of
Chile folk music, psychedelia & experimental, but very little
prog. Anyway I think I will listen them also more.[/COLOR]

Fun fact about Arco Iris that I think I previously mentioned in another poll. Gustavo Santaolalla, the band's lead singer and guitar player, is a 2 time Oscar Acadeny Award winner (Brokeback Mountain & Babel).

You might also enjoy Santaolalla's current project, Bajofondo, which is quite different, and not necessarily prog. It is an electronic tango band with some jazz elements
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 11:23
^Thanx, but not sounding interesting. I think there will be enough for me some time to listen those Arco Iris & Los Jaivas seventies albums.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 15:22
Argentina, far ahead. I also recommend Bad Dreams
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 21:35

Robot has been very nasty to me, hope this will now go on:<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; widows: 2; orphans: 2">
[COLOR=#000000]<font face="Tahoma, Verdana]Progmind: You
were right! I really loved Agitor, at the moment I think itīs the
best prog album Iīve heard from South-America! Really going to
listen more Arco Iris! It has acoustic & also psychedelic
elements, but mostly itīs just great prog. Really essential to all
who search great melodies from prog instead instrumental
m****b*ti*n. It is also really interesting that in Agitor there are
same kind of "mystic nature"-feelings as in Finnish prog,
although I believe South-American musicians were not influenced
Finnish prog or vice versa (well on the other hand I remember some
Finnish people in the seventies were interested Chileīs situation).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]<font face="Tahoma, Verdana]Dellinger,
sorry to say to you, but "Depois Do Fim" is just that prog
I am not very much into at the moment. The best moments in that album
are those melodic pieces when Jane is singing, also I liked those
panflutes (to me they sounded not ordinary flutes), but theyīre
enough great I can listen also those instrumental pieces again.
Specially "Controversia" is great example of whatīs wrong
in prog, also why some music listeners hate prog. I think Os Mutantes
is much more personal than Bacamarte, although you can hear some Yes
also in it (at least Richenbacher bass!). But I believe many, who are
really much into Yes CttE & TFTO-period, love more this
Bacamarte-album than Going For the One from same year.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000]<font face="Tahoma, Verdana]About
that first Los Jaivas-album, I find it quite interesting, but itīs
possible not good in your opinion. Itīs really interesting mix of
Chile folk music, psychedelia & experimental, but very little
prog. Anyway I think I will listen them also more.[/COLOR]

I don't need prog, nor rock, to like some music, and folk can be really great by itself... if I do like the songs. I do love medieval sounding folk, as well as the pan-flute led prehispanic (for as little as I may know both, at least the real thing). But there were some folk songs on the Matchu Pitchu album that sounded rather like "banda" or "musica ranchera" from Mexico, and those ones I didn't like so much... though I guess it's a rather unfair anduneducated comparison).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>