Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Early Camel Studio Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which of the first 5 Camel studio albums is your personal favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [7.04%]
24 [33.80%]
13 [18.31%]
25 [35.21%]
4 [5.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Early Camel Studio Album
    Posted: September 14 2018 at 18:01
Some early, classic 70s prog albums from Camel. Which is your particular favourite? I have to go for Moonmadness, but Music Inspired by the Snow Goose runs it close (although always preferred the live, Royal Albert Hall version), and Mirage has some truly classic tracks as well. I'd be interested to see how PA forum members vote, and whether the slightly different style of the debut album or Rain Dances get votes as well. As usual, opinions and discussions are most welcome - it's all down to personal taste and even memories.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 18:04
Any of the first 4 are great, but I have a soft spot for the self titled debut.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 18:15
The Snow Goose is the only one I return to.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 21:23
Mirage for me.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 22:05
Moonmadness, The Snow Goose, Camel, Mirage, Rain Dances. All very close together though, they're all fantastic.

Edited by Manuel - September 15 2018 at 07:15
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 22:35
I haven´t heard Moonmadness and Rain Dances, but I voted the Snow Goose, because I love it so much!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 00:10
Mirage for me !!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 04:17
For me, The Snow Goose is the greatest album of all time in any genre. Moonmadness is very close behind. Mirage is brilliant and the other two are also excellent.

I'm just about to set off for London to see Camel play Moonmadness in full at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday, and I get to meet the band before the gig. I am not displeased about this!

They say meeting your heroes is always a let down, but I suspect that won't be true here.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 05:17
I just cant choose between Mirage, The Snow Goose, and Moonmadness. All outstanding ant totally unique to each other, so it's hard to compare them.

I know it's a cop out, but I have to abstain on this one.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 05:42

Mirage>Moonmadness>The Snow Goose

IMHO three masterpieces !!!

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 08:19
The Snow Goose > Moonmadness > Mirage
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 09:38
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

For me, The Snow Goose is the greatest album of all time in any genre. Moonmadness is very close behind. Mirage is brilliant and the other two are also excellent.

I'm just about to set off for London to see Camel play Moonmadness in full at the Royal Albert Hall on Monday, and I get to meet the band before the gig. I am not displeased about this!

They say meeting your heroes is always a let down, but I suspect that won't be true here.
Have a great night, Hercules! I think Lewian of this forum will be there too. Should be a special night!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 10:25
Rain Dances was my first Camel album and remains my favorite. "Mahvelous!"
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 10:55
It's tough for me to decide, but I went with Rain Dances because it doesn't get much love. I was really surprised the first time I listened to it because I didn't have high standards for it based on ratings, but then all of a sudden, unison sax and guitar shredding. Still lots of great Camel-ness, a bit of Caravan-ness plus some great contributions from Mel Collins.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 11:19
Mirage was my 1st Camel album and remains my favorite followed by Moonmadness, Snow Goose, the debut, and Rain Dances Wink
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 15:54
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Have a great night, Hercules! I think Lewian of this forum will be there too. Should be a special night!

If he is, look for a 6'2'' solidly made (ie quite fat) guy with very long blond hair and a white goatee beard. I'll be pleased to meet him and buy him a pint.

I used to be one of the long haired brigade at prog gigs in the 70s. Now I'm one of the few at prog gigs with ANY hair!
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 17:17
Nice seeing the Camel love shared amongst the five albums. Any more votes out there?
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 17:50
I'm so jealous Hercules and Lewian!   Camel and I never seem to be in the same place at the same time.  They might be the only one of my absolutely favorite 1970s prog bands that I have never gotten to see.  Enjoy!!!

oh, I voted for Moonmadness.  After the first and Mirage piqued my interest, it was Snow Goose and Moonmadness that really clicked with me.  Rain Dances disappointed me but I now look on it favorably especially because they were willing to evolve.  It's still not my style, but it's nonetheless impressive

Edited by kenethlevine - September 16 2018 at 17:53
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 20:36
Snow Goose
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 02:34
Love all the early Camel, but got to go with the one I play most often, and that would be Mirage.
Songs cast a light on you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>