0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [10.53%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finnish Prog
    Posted: September 16 2018 at 00:22
When there has been some exotic prog polls, I decide to made Finnish prog poll. There are my subjective favourites, I believe there would be much more, if I had put commonly respected Finnish prog albums. Interesting to see, how many votes there will be, but anyway I think this is great list to start to someone, who knows nothing about Finnish prog. I didn´t put Haikaras first just because I love Geafar more, also I think it would have been easily the winner. And you can vote although heard only one of these.

Edited by Mortte - September 16 2018 at 00:24
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 03:01
For me Kalevala people no names, is one of the most intresting albums of early 70s, killer from start to finish
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 05:26
^Great to hear you like it! I believe Harri´s vocals are too much for many, I am also not really thinking he should ever sang in English, but music is just so strong that it goes forward those vocals.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 08:43
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

For me Kalevala people no names, is one of the most interesting albums of early 70s, killer from start to finish
Yes, indeed this is a great list, but "People No Names" is certainly my favorite of these great gems of music.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 08:50
Can't vote. I know only 4 artists on the list and 3 of these artists albums.
Out of these 3, I would vote Wigwam.

Not on the list, I also enjoy Alamaailman Vasarat
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 10:02
Viima: Ajatuksia Maailman Laidalta> Kalevala: People No Names >Haikara: Geafar
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 10:03
Also not on the list that I would have voted for:  Hidria Spacefolk.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 12:17
no Tenhi?
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 16:11
Out of 8 RIO/Avant bands from Finland discussed on the main site, precisely 0 appear in this poll.  I'd have voted for Alamaailman Vasarat, but they don't appear and the only bands above who I am familiar with are fusion (not my favorite style, it often lacks humor).  From the novels of Harri Nykänen to the films of Aki Kaurismäki I find Finnish humor delightful and would have liked to have seen some of it represented above.  Their sense of Dada humor is one reason why I'm so fond of Alamaailman Vasarat.  I wish I could have seen them live but I live in the wrong hemisphere.  If anyone can point me in the direction of any of these bands above who have a sense of humor, that would be greatly appreciated.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 22:08
^Well, you really should listen YUP-album from the list. They were highly influenced by Zappa and humour was essential part of their music. Naturally you won´t understand their really great, black humour lyrics, because they sang in Finnish, but if you want, I can always tell you after you´re listing what´s about that album. There are lots of influences about Bulgakov´s great Master & Margarita in that albums lyrics.

Absoluuttinen Nollapiste has also kind of humour specially their early albums, but that on the list is very serious one.

Of course Wigwam has always got kind of "Cantebury"-feel in their music.

And when you´re Alamaailman-fan, I think you should listen some Tuomari Nurmio, for example "Hullu Puutarhuri"-album. Tuomari is the Tom Waits of Finland.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 22:09
Also, Pekka Pohjola has always got humour in his music (he was also big Zappa-fan).

And of course, that Hot Thumbs O`Riley is must for the people who likes humour in music!

Edited by Mortte - September 16 2018 at 22:10
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 22:11
I just voted Fairyport, because for some very odd reason no-one has voted it.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 08:23
I don't know all of these and I love Pekka and Wigwam but that VIIMA album has always been more to my tastes.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 08:52
I won't vote .... since I only know Wigwam and Pekka from the list

love Hidria Spacefolk as well
Prog On!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 21:48
I haven't heard to Finnish prog, actually... but I do have heard (and like) several symphonic metal bands.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 22:07
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I haven't heard to Finnish prog, actually... but I do have heard (and like) several symphonic metal bands.
You really should listen Wigwam! Start from Fairyport (well that link I put is the first song from that album and tells very much what´s about in that great album), if you don´t like it, then listen also Nuclear Nightclub from their second period! Also I believe you could like Tasavallan Presidentti, Kalevala & Haikara.
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 23:26
Many great albums on the list. I gave  my vote to Pihasoittajat, which most likely won't get a single vote from a non-Finnish person and probably not many Finnish votes either.
   It is perhaps the least 'progressive rock' album of these also, but I love it.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 02:21
Great choise Matti! Yes, Pihasoittajat has put into folk music category, but I think when comparing "Kontaten Kotia"-album for example some early Strawbs or Pentangle, it could easily put into folk-prog -category! I really also love that album, like almost all the others here, I think Viima is the least favourite of mine in those, although like it much too!

One I really want to mention and I believe specially Canterbury-fans really would like, is that Hot Thumbs O`Riley -album (which really is Jim Pembroke´s first solo album).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 02:23
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Link I mentioned is in that other thread, it´s this:
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 07:28
Voted for Geafar, but I find the debut even better

No Finnforest or Hoyry Kone pr Alamaailman Vasaraat in the list?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>