Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amon Düül II - heavy krautrock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amon Düül II - heavy krautrock
    Posted: September 17 2018 at 00:18
I like the guitar heavyness of Amon Düül II almost primeval heavy metal. To me they strike me as the most guitar heavy the kraut bands.

Are they the heavyest kraut band or are there other heavy kraut rock.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 01:59
There are really heavy guitars in Yeti, but not that much in Tanz Der Lemminge, which is my favourite, not also after that albums.

Guru Guru (at least their three first albums) are really guitar-based kraut, I didn´t like it much.

I believe you would also like Scorpions first album "Lonesome Crow", there is Michael Schenker in guitar. Their second album "Fly to the Rainbow" is even better!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 03:09
Wolf City is also quite heavy
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 04:58
^Yes, some heavy guitars, but greatly also soft sides.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 04:59
the heavy guitar is a trademark of John Weinzierl. you will find it on "Wolf City" and "Vive la Trance" too. here "Mozambique" from "Vive la Trance" with really heavy guitar in the last 3 minutes.

Birth Control, Wallenstein, Lucifer's Friend and Epitaph (strangely not in the archives) are really heavy too.

the early Guru Guru albums have already been mentioned; here "Hinten":

Edited by BaldJean - September 17 2018 at 05:00

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 05:37
oh, and I would also like to mention the Norwegian band Titanic. they are obviously not Krautrock but sound very similar to Epitaph

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 07:25
Hi,

YETI (the main piece), for me, is the perfect compliment to the early SF sound and "loud" guitar and the only other moment where the guitar is that strong in with Janis Joplin, in the live version of BALL AND CHAIN in the outstanding album, CHEAP THRILLS.

For me, and I have mentioned it before, GURU GURU in their Ax Genrich days, was about what Jimi Hendrix might have sounded like when he was stoned and didn't care what came out of the music, which would still blend into something or other. It is my believe that the Jimi Hendrix archives have a lot of this stuff, but no one will ever hear it, because the family does not see it as important and valuable to his musical legacy, and think that the wild side of JH's is the part that undid him ... and these guitar forays into insanity and total let go, is not something that "musicians" like to do, or try, because it is very difficult to stay with and end up with something that most folks can not relate to.

YETI, is in many ways, the ultimate creation of the improvisations that could have started as a simple drum circle or just a bunch of folks at the commune doing anything they could and wanted, however, somewhere along the way what separated I from II, was the fact that II obviously wanted the music to be taken a bit further than just stonned noodling and meaningless meandering. And in YETI they proved that the "origin" of the music was indeed a powerful idea to create some outstanding works. The sad shame of it all is that AFTER the album VIVE LA TRANCE they stopped and while MOZAMBIQUE is very valuable (that country got its freedom some 2 months later!!!), in the end, it is APOCALIPTYC BORE that is the more important side of it all, when in essence, they said goodbye to all the tripping and the "stoned" music, and right after that song went into a series of "pop songs", which were nice in their own way, but it brought ADII down to a less important level and while many of their albums after that were fine, they never stood up to any of their earlier albums. And were NOT as "heavy" and likely because they could not agree on anything, the worst curse of all for a band!

HEAVY is an interesting term, and is usually associated with cheap music that merely uses the lower side and scales of music in rock. The HEAVYNESS in ADII has more to do with their well defined (so it seems) music in their early days, as an alternative to the mindless humanoid BS from the earlier commune version ... and as long as they had those memories in mind, they did wonderful work, but when they became a "band", they lost their source and their touch ... they could still do some great things, but while Archie is fun to listen to, in many ways it is a real come down from the guadaloop, and the really strong drug song. Not to mention that the Firesign Theater had already done Archie in their albums by that time.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply