Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ELP: ELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 00:16
^ Hey Doug

yep still around and annoying people it seems!

re Knife Edge , really never got the love for this but hey ho. My favourite ELP track is Toccata so that perhaps points towards my taste a bit more. What ELP did with synths on BSS is off the scale brilliant. Knife Edge is an archaic hangover from the late sixties sub Doors thing with typical nonsensical lyrics. Album filler at best. Right I'm off then…! 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 02:25
I am not big ELP fan, but anyway this is my favourite from them.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 12:20
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Their best album.......still my favorite by them.....and anyone who thinks different has salad for brains.

;)

present and accounted for Doc... haha.

heck yeah the debut is my favorite.. and side 1 is perhaps the single best side of prog anyone ever did.. but not their best album.. funny.. and perhaps for that reason. Their best IMO also happens to be my least favorite from them.

Huh...call me confused...

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 12:35
Richard, above, said 'sub Doors thing' for Knife Edge. Really?......are you serious? It sounds nothing like the Doors who never wrote a song this heavy or dynamic in their entire career....and Manzarek...a decent player is no where near Emerson's talent...not even in the same universe really.
And nonsensical lyrics?....that just about covers 90% of  all prog rock.

OK....carry on.
;)

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 14:28
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Hey, Richard, great to hear from you, man. Even though, vocally, Mediterranean Tales by Triumvirat is no great shakes, I still feel it is Rock's greatest debut album, ever. Their instrumental prowess is astonishing on that one, but I do feel the lack of what Illusions On A Double Dimple had, Helmut Koellen playing on that Rick of his, and his inimitable, wonderful vocals, which makes that album Triumvirat's best, and THE quintessential prog album, hands down!

I love T'rat up through OLDH, myself, but that is an astonishing claim in any measure, especially considering who/what they're heavily emulating/channeling on that album. (I personally think Spartacus and OLDH represent their best work.)

For me, there are simply too many other debut albums that come out ahead, e.g. Kansas, Goblin, Saga, King Crimson, U.K., Utopia, etc.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 14:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

What ELP did with synths on BSS is off the scale brilliant.

Can't agree more!

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Knife Edge is an archaic hangover from the late sixties sub Doors thing with typical nonsensical lyrics. Album filler at best.

Can't disagree more! LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 15:14
Not sure what ELP did that was brilliant with the synths on BSS. Not that they were bad or anything of course.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 15:54
What? Anyway, I view it as groovy, man.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 19:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not sure what ELP did that was brilliant with the synths on BSS. Not that they were bad or anything of course.

Keith used the prototype of the Moog Constellation system on BSS and the tour.  The Constellation was Moog's answer to the Yamaha GX-1 (ironic since Keith eventually embraced the GX-1) consisted of the Apollo (the 1st fully polyphonic synth), the Lyra (a separate monophonic synth) and the Taurus bass pedals (though it's reported Keith never used it or brought it on the tour).  For those curious, it's a little known story in the history of the synthesizer:

Personally, I think Keith's Moog use and abuse was much more groundbreaking on Pictures at an Exhibition (and the accompanying concert video, "Rock and Roll Your Eyes") than BSS, OTOH the Apollo was likely the 1st time a completely polyphonic synth ever appeared on album making Benny the Bouncer groundbreaking - a fact I bet drives the ELP-haters crazy LOL
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 19:32
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Their best album.......still my favorite by them.....and anyone who thinks different has salad for brains.

;)

In my case, Brain Salad, which requires surgery!

But while BSS is my fave, it doesn't mean I'm lacking in respect for this most auspicious debut.  This album somehow manages to bring on full fledged prog bombast, but with just the right amount of restraint to let the incredible composition strike a balance with the insane musicianship.  Keith Emerson certainly served notice that rock organ/keyboards would never be the same.  

Edited by Fischman - September 21 2018 at 19:33
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 19:08
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Hey, Richard, great to hear from you, man. Even though, vocally, Mediterranean Tales by Triumvirat is no great shakes, I still feel it is Rock's greatest debut album, ever. Their instrumental prowess is astonishing on that one, but I do feel the lack of what Illusions On A Double Dimple had, Helmut Koellen playing on that Rick of his, and his inimitable, wonderful vocals, which makes that album Triumvirat's best, and THE quintessential prog album, hands down!

I love T'rat up through OLDH, myself, but that is an astonishing claim in any measure, especially considering who/what they're heavily emulating/channeling on that album. (I personally think Spartacus and OLDH represent their best work.)

For me, there are simply too many other debut albums that come out ahead, e.g. Kansas, Goblin, Saga, King Crimson, U.K., Utopia, etc.
Yeah, I realise that I am considerably out in left field on that assertion, but I stand by it. Mediterranean Tales does things for me that other debuts don't, and I am so grateful it exists.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 05:42
The most important album of their career,my go to record par excellence the whole thing, not just one song but everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12