Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Howe/Downes vs. Anderson/Rabin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which of these Yes studio albums is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [70.69%]
8 [13.79%]
2 [3.45%]
6 [10.34%]
1 [1.72%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howe/Downes vs. Anderson/Rabin
    Posted: September 19 2018 at 18:31
So amidst all the debate about which touring Yes is the best, I thought I'd make this poll to see where your loyalties really lie. Maybe it's a bit skewed since I haven't included any Wakeman, but he hasn't been on a Yes album without Howe so that doesn't really work. I also totally forgot about Heaven & Earth; can't add it now, but if you're the one fan of that album just make a comment!

Anyways, pick your favorite album of the bunch - let's keep this based off of the studio albums, and not whether Billy Sherwood or Lee Pomeroy do a better job of emulating Chris Squire. And don't forget, this is all for fun, not for proving a point or trying to harass a bunch of old guys who just want to go on stage and play some music.

Edited by ForestFriend - September 19 2018 at 18:33
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 20:58
whats happened to Yes is a tragedy---Rabin butchers classic Yes live --the arrangements bring nothing good to the table---and the songs are hard for me to listen to---Wakeman is not a good mix with Rabin either---Both Howe and Anderson are to blame---and much of Yes west is not music I'd pay to hear played live. Howe and Anderson and Wakeman belong together--their styles blend which is why so many Classic Yes albums are the prog gold standard for many----to answer the question I def listen to Drama or FFH more than the others so would vote for them- but think Big G has the best power pop songs than the other Yes west.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 21:23
^ Indeed it's frustrating that we can't have Anderson, Howe, and Wakeman in the same band these days. That's the way I really want to listen to them live. As for this poll, I guess for me it's really between the songs "Machine Messiah", "Owner of a Lonely Heart", and "Endless Dream" (though I do like a lot Hold On, and the main songs from the Fly from Here suite). OK, "Endless Dream" is really much better than "Owner of a Lonely Heart", so it's between that one and "Machine Messiah"...
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 21:41
Drama is the best album from the list
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 03:16
I only saw Yes once, on the Relayer tour in April 1975 in Edinburgh. They were very good.
But they were (in my opinion and that of many others present) completely blown offstage by the support band (Gryphon).
I really started to lose interest in them after Going for the One: though they produced some great stuff on some albums, they were patchy. I lost interest in them completely after 90125. 
So it has to be Drama.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 08:19
I'm not particularly fond of these records. They're not bad, but nothing that gets me exited to listen to, so no vote for me.

Edited by Manuel - September 20 2018 at 08:21
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 08:34
I like Drama and 90125 about equally

voted 90125
Prog On!
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 08:39
Drama just over 90125. After that it falls off quite a bit. 
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 09:03
Really dig Drama!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 10:27
Drama and then Talk.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 10:40
Drama at the top since it is just all around awesome.  90125 next, followed by Talk, Big Generator and the "Faux-Yes" albums far down on the bottom.

Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 10:46
Though Drama gets my vote, Anderson and Rabin have aged much better.

In a different poll of current musicianship and attitude, Anderson and Rabin would have won.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 13:22
So...why can't Howe, Anderson., and Wakeman bury the hatchett , act like adults, and get together?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 13:32
Drama
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 15:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

So...why can't Howe, Anderson., and Wakeman bury the hatchett , act like adults, and get together?

think Anderson f**ked around with Howe one too many times---remember he broke up ABWH because a record deal offering money wanted Rabin not Howe---(even though Howe made millions with Asia) ---the other BIG problem was Howe wanted to jam in person when making an album like the good old days when they made good music and Anderson thought it wasn't necessary could do it by internet---say what you will about Genesis those guys got together to compose music in the same room---thats how you come up with the good stuff. Anderson seemed to want things his way---Howe likes to work and have a schedule--Jon is more whatever about things. Whatever happened Squire could have helped solve it when he was alive but he seemed to think it was impossible too.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 20:05
I saw Yes in '76, '77, '78, '80 and the Union tour, with the Moraz show in '76 definitely my favorite.  I love Drama and enjoyed the tour just as much as the '78 tour.  Watching Rabin stand there during the Union tour attempting to hold a candle to Howe was laughable.  I can't even imagine how painful seeing Yes without Squire must be...especially with anything less than Anderson/Howe/Wakeman Wink
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 21:51
Once again, I wish they would get together the line-up that played Roundabout in the Hall of Fame, with both Rabin and Howe, and with Geddy Lee on bass, and go on tour. And even better, make a new studio album.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 07:53
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

think Anderson f**ked around with Howe one too many times---remember he broke up ABWH because a record deal offering money wanted Rabin not Howe---(even though Howe made millions with Asia) ---the other BIG problem was Howe wanted to jam in person when making an album like the good old days when they made good music and Anderson thought it wasn't necessary could do it by internet---say what you will about Genesis those guys got together to compose music in the same room---thats how you come up with the good stuff. Anderson seemed to want things his way---Howe likes to work and have a schedule--Jon is more whatever about things. Whatever happened Squire could have helped solve it when he was alive but he seemed to think it was impossible too.

I always thought it had a lot to do with when Jon was sick & couldn't tour for a while & they replaced him. I don't know the whole store but from what I heard I don't think he was ever able to forgive them for that. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 08:06
Drama is probably the best album but of the two current Yes', I'd choose ARW mainly due to the presence of JA.
paisanojac View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 08:16
1.  Drama
2.  Talk
3.  Fly From Here (I like both versions)
4.  90125
5.  Big Generator 
6.  Heaven & Earth

Edited by paisanojac - April 20 2020 at 13:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>