Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 22:06
It's not really among my favourite Floyd albums... though of course that still makes it at least a good album. Astronomy Domine is indeed among my favourite songs from them, though, and I do like some other songs on it. Interstellar Overdrive has been a rather frustrating one, because I do love that opening riff, but most of the song is just psychedelic jamming that I can't fully get into... however, one of the live versions on the new early years box-sets really fix it for me... slightly changed, but just enough to make me enjoy that middle passage very well indeed (and just about the same applies to Por R Toc H, which I hadn't been able to get into until I found one of the live versions on those albums).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 14:42
About Interstellar Overdrive I was really surprised it was actually a mix of two different takes. Before I read about that I had always thought they had played it whole through and just overdubbed some parts into it.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 21:24
^ I didn't know that. But I guess that's not so surprising given the oportunities that studio tech give the bands. Actually, I have read about this sort of things being done with live recordings too.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 22:05
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

What all the others think about this Floyd-debut?

for the longest time my least favorite classic Floyd album.. the MTV Nostaligia driven sh*t they did post Roger doesn't count. I simply never got the 'englishness' of it. The whimsy and silliness of it. Where they let the instruments do the talking.. and just played hell yeah man.. I could dig it.

Still really don't today.. but listenable.. and Lucifer Sam really is a killer little song...and did finally get bumped by The Final Cut for least favorite Floyd album.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 04:14
I love this album. For a long time Animals was my favourite Pink Floyd album but in recent times I've developed a new appreciation for Piper at the Gates of Dawn to the extent that it challenges Animals as my favourite Pink Floyd album.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 05:33
It has a very good title aslo, very mystical and fairytale like. Is the piper, the pied piper of Hamelin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 21:17
^ Indeed. Too bad they play no pipes in the album.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 21:23
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

It has a very good title aslo, very mystical and fairytale like. Is the piper, the pied piper of Hamelin

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ Indeed. Too bad they play no pipes in the album.

Actually, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" is a chapter title of Kenneth Grahame's children's book The Wind in the Willows. Unfortunately, Mr. Toad does not make an appearance on the album either. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 22:31
But anyway itīs great title, really now think itīs kind of childrenīs music as most of the psychedelic music is although children canīt understand it (at least I didnīt when I was a child).
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 04:22
I always had More down as Pink Floyd's weakest album.
Syd's songwriting improved on his solo albums but they were hamstrung by woeful production.
Piper At The Gates Of Dawn listened to out of context is ok. I can leave a lot of stuff off the second side. But the first side is an accomplishment. Further than The Beatles did.
If it had actually been released when it was recorded (and produced by a more attentive producer) Soft Machine would have been regarded as having the better debut.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 12:02
Like many, I didn't disccover early Floyd until after becoming enamored with Dark Side/WYWH.  Knowing this was a significantly a different group/different sound, and not being specifically a psychedelia fan, I had no expectations going in.  I rather took to it though.  And while it's not one of my faves, it's still a worthy part of my collection.  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 06:06
Discovered this gem back in ‘87 as a stoned 15 y.o. !! Still lovin’ it as a sober 46 y.o. Man, Rick’s Farfisa is magnificent.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 06:13
Having seen Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets on Monday evening (lots of fun!) I was reminded that actually Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive are really a major source of what I see as "my kind of music"; apart from the Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows, nothing did more for my taste historically than these two songs; this marvellous combination of experimentation, sound exploration and solid rock, rhythmic structure and chaos brought together in new unique ways. Astronomy Domine is such an iconic opener. For this alone Piper already cannot be praised enough. I also love love love Pow R Toc H, so that's the three longest tracks then. I couldn't connect well to many of their shorter more flimsy songs for a long time but I warm up to some of them over time, for example Lucifer Sam and Bike were just such delights in Nick Mason's show, and I appreciate the versatility of that album.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 06:45
^ Ah, another closet psychedelic junkie! Welcome to the club! Big smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12