Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Piper at the Gates Of Dawn
    Posted: September 20 2018 at 02:31
There has been thread of Yes & ELP albums, so I decided to start threads about Floyd albums (we will see am I going to start a thread of every album).

I think Piper is their third greatest album at the moment. When I heard it first time (my brother bought me a cheap version of it in time when I was quite recently started to listen prog) I react almost like UFO has landed in our yard. I had heard before it only Relics from their psychedelic period. But in some years I started to love their Piper-Atom Heart period more than their after that period.

What all the others think about this Floyd-debut?
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 03:50
Yeah 1967-1971 is my Pink Floyd (doesn't mean I dislike 73-79 though)... And third fave/greatest sounds about right. My parents owned The Wall, so it was one of my "random" favorite albums as a child (from what I could discover in their half-decent record collection). Piper... however was the first Pink Floyd album I bought. As often in my late teens I was flicking through some 1 or 2€ box of LP's in a record shop - often trying out stuff based on (to me) appealing cover art alone. I was both drawn to that kaleidoscope photo and also reminded having seen what must have been a short clip from an early live performance of Astronomy Domine in some rock documentary. It was just Syd wearing a cape chanting the ooo-ooo-oo-part of the mentioned song - I think. At least I felt that I recognised it as the album opener. It was just the perfect discovery for me back then. Every song is a whole universe-or a trip in itself. Transcendental music (mostly) within the three minute pop song format. An ear opener for sure. Its still perfect but I guess i listen to Meddle and Saucerful a little more often these days. As with a lot of my "old music" discoveries back then (and still really) it felt way more cutting edge and interesting than 90% the "new" music I listened to - which was mostly boring alternative rock I guess.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 20 2018 at 04:01
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 03:58
One can't underestimate Piper's important to the genre of Psychedelic Space Rock with Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Over Drive being the catalysts, imo. I could listen to those two songs forever. The Barrett penned acid-folky numbers never really moved me but really rung a bell with British and European audiences and still do, I'm sure. And of course there's Bike which I want played constantly at my funeral. There's no other way to cast off the gloominess of such a gathering than that incredibly quirky song! ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 04:09
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Every song is a whole universe-or a trip in itself. Transcendental music (mostly) within the three minute pop song format. 
and the one song that that breaks that format pretty much single handedly invented space&krautcock... almost. There was loads of interesting things going on in 1967, but nothing I can think of quite resembles Interstallar Overdrive.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 06:54
^When I listened Relics first time, I couldn´t listen Interstellar Overdrive whole through. I skip it in the middle into See Emily Play, where also that first chaotic part was too much for me and I ended the whole album listening. I think I listened the whole album later, but I just wasn´t then ready to psychedelia...if I remember right, I was then eleven years old. Nowdays I of course love Interstellar as also the whole first album!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 07:47
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^When I listened Relics first time, I couldn´t listen Interstellar Overdrive whole through.
Oh it didn't become a favorite of mine until later. At first I was more into that siam cat, the witch, king, unicorn, gnome, scarecrow, the mouse Syd called Gerald etc...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 09:04
"I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like
It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
Things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it"
Quite possibly the best lyric ever written.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 09:05
There are many krautrock bands that are entirly greatfull to the contributions and gatways that album opened, together with Saucerful of Secrets

Edited by Icarium - September 20 2018 at 12:19
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 09:07
My thoughts about it today?

Couldn't care less.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 10:41
My 2nd favorite PF album after The Final Cut.  I listen to my own version which includes "Candy and a Currant Bun" & "Apples and Oranges."  Syd was brilliant until he 'tattooed his mind all the way" Cry
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 10:48
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Couldn't care less.
How about tomorrow then? Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 12:41
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

"I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like
It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
Things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it"
Quite possibly the best lyric ever written.

Yes...the best written while on 'Acid'....probably.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 13:02
Decent debut....but imho an overrated album (though it only gets 3.88 here at PA) The two long tracks being the 'most interesting' to me and perhaps a harbinger of where Floyd would eventually travel after Barrett burned out. BTW...not picking on Barrett here..but I have always thought his input, while creative and unique, wasn't what made Floyd eventually become such a great band.

I think Sean's review is spot on...for the most part.
"Totally unrepresentative of the real Floyd..."....."Hard to say this album is not essential (historically, anyway), but at least I can say that it's only moderately good."
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=8097
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 13:42
^well if all your measurements are based on how prog it is I guess Piper must feel overrated but apart from the two longish tunes there's nine timeless psych-gems that sound way fresher today that anything ELP ever recorded. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 15:54
^Uh...I never said anything about how proggy it is...perhaps you are getting that from his review...but nevertheless there's nothing 'fresh' about Barrett's acid tinged silly pop songs imho that others weren't doing then and better...try the Beatles for one.
:)
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 16:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

One can't underestimate Piper's important to the genre of Psychedelic Space Rock with Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Over Drive being the catalysts, imo. I could listen to those two songs forever. The Barrett penned acid-folky numbers never really moved me but really rung a bell with British and European audiences and still do, I'm sure. And of course there's Bike which I want played constantly at my funeral. There's no other way to cast off the gloominess of such a gathering than that incredibly quirky song! ;)

Lucifer Sam, Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Over Drive are great. And it seems I come back to the same concept each time I listen to any album from that time period: that if the band relies too heavily on psychedelia, the result is invariably uneven, with a few really splendid songs I still listen to. Piper at the Gates of Dawn is one such album. Which is why I prefer The Doors, Hendrix, The Beatles, and even the Moody Blues and Procol Harum from the same time period. Less reliance on psychedelia, more rounded albums of songs that stretch boundaries and touch on many genres.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 18:14
I enjoy Piper At the Gates. In no way do I think it is their third greatest (in my book that goes to The Wall, behind Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon). But it is not something I would vehemently argue against.

I find it to be a very significant album, and would listen to it day and night if given the option (especially over Saucerfull of Secrets, More or the godawful Ummagumma, or what I consider the worst output by Floyd... Obscured By Clouds).

Piper is an album though I feel is criminally underrated in their discography, and I think gets far too overlooked. Honestly, it pains me that I see Saucerfull get far more attention nowadays.

My favorite songs on it are Astronomy Domine, Interstellar Overdrive, Bike, Matilda Mother, and Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk.

All great work. Barrett's work would become far to ignored by the world in later years, I feel. His solo work is well worth a listen btw.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 18:51
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Couldn't care less.
How about tomorrow then? Wink

Until the next listen.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 18:55
67-71 Floyd saved me this summer. such a treasure.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 22:02
Oh God I can´t understand people´s will to use "overrated"-word these days. But I can understand Piper is not for everybody´s tastes. It was also really hard to digest at first after been so much excited about Dark Side of the Moon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>