Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eyes of Blue for eclectic prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eyes of Blue for eclectic prog
    Posted: September 20 2018 at 12:33
I discovered this band on Planet Melotron and listened to them and found them not in the arcives. Listened to them and found them to be a link between symphonic prog and baroque pop of the 60s. Similar in sound to Procol Harum and the Zombies, with symphonic touches of East of Eden. Very ahead of their time and fun to listen to.

Here are sound links from spotify, two albums
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/eyes-of-blue-mn0000724876https://open.spotify.com/album/0EwNwVhsctHIc8C0cB4G6k?si=5LyPoimFQJKuR8Avb0ELdAhttps://open.spotify.com/album/4ly0WdVTISiRmDuUAmx0lM?si=W48r4LRMRYaTMPoSmyDDug

Edited by Icarium - October 16 2018 at 10:57
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 14:12
Quote from allmusic
Artist Biography by Bruce Eder

By rights, the Eyes of Blue should have an exalted place in the pantheon of art rock and progressive rock bands. They were around before almost all of them, and doing film work and making music in a jazz-rock fusion idiom before the latter had been understood, and they were signed to two major labels in succession, Deram and Mercury.

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 15:09
The spotify link for 'The Crossroads Of Time' album doesn't have any 'play' buttons enabled here in the UK, so here is that album in full on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqTUJ121Mgw.

Edit: The album also has another upload on YouTube. The gaps between songs are a bit longer in this one than in the link I gave above, making it a half a minute or so longer overall, but it contains a fair bit of info about the band in the description below it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvn7o2dDaC4.

Edited by yam yam - September 20 2018 at 15:23
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 15:46
A trivia is that John Weathers of Gentle Giant drums on the albums

I promt also eclectic team and even symphonic team to evaluate the merrits of Eyes of Blue

Edited by Icarium - September 20 2018 at 15:52
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 02:26
From https://www.discogs.com/Eyes-Of-Blue-The-Crossroads-Of-Time/master/406283:

music-emporium September 11, 2016
referencing The Crossroads of Time
UK psychedelia moved into prog rock with spices of hard rock in the late sixties, some even coined a new label to describe the strong textures resulting of the mixture of rockier blues sounds, jazz, revolutionized freakbeat and the hardest side of popsike - ‘heavy psych’. Amongst the best works of the era were the two splendid LPs recorded by Welsh band Eyes Of Blue.

The Eyes Of Blue where formed in 1966 and soon won the Melody Maker Beat Contest, a fact that secured them a recording deal with Deram records. The label issued their first 45s, they were good but -due to company pressure- more Blue Eyed Soul or even bubblegum oriented. By the time they released their first LP, on Mercury, their real sound had surfaced, showing influences by some of the coolest bands from the US West Coast like The Doors or Love, and also counted on the help of Graham Bond, who penned some of the most significant tunes on the album. Heavily Hammond organ driven athmospheres taking things one step further than The Nice, guitar pyrotechnics, an excellent vocal work, some eastern influenced guitar raga, a great taste in choosing cover versions and strong songwriting make Crossroads Of Time one of the best progressive LPs from 1968.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 04:18
Considering their second LP 'In Fields of Ardath', eclectic prog (think Traffic) is possibly the proper location for these guys.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 04:57
I feel they also have symphonic elements, but the beare a better fit for eclectic.

Edited by Icarium - September 25 2018 at 14:40
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 11:17
Is it eclectic team or proto team that evaluate this suggestion?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 12:19
It might be bit premature to take it to Proto Prog methinks -- if questionably Prog, then I think it better to go through the Prog teams first, and then they might recommend it to Proto Prog. See these guidelines on Proto prog evaluations: CLICK Suggestions tend to get put to us once a process has been gone through (the research has been done quite thoroughly, there is plenty of support for it, and a formal proposal is made to the admin).

That said, I have taken to the time to do some research of my own.

If included, I would recommend not just including the two albums by Eyes of Blue -- Crossroads of Time (1968) and In Fields of Ardath (1969) -- but also the Big Sleep album Bluebell Wood from 1971 as this seems to be the same band under another name.

See https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/eyes-of-blue

I have't listened to much, but off the first two album from what I've heard, I do get a Proto Prog vibe from the music, and that it features John "Pugwash" Weathers does make it more interesting. Additionally, Phil Ryan who played keys (organ, piano, Mellotron) with Eyes of Blue/ Big Sleep, also played keys with Man on Be Good to Yourself at Least Once a Day which is included in Psyche at PA. There is sort of psyche, heavy pysche, art rock, baroque and rather symph progressive feel to music by Eyes of Blue.

Furthermore, The Neutrons is included in Eclectic Prog in PA, and it featured several of the musicians of Eyes of Blue/ Big Sleep.   It was formed in part by Phil Ryan and also featured John Wethers, and was something of an offshoot from Man. It also featured Ray "Taff" Williams on guitars, bass, and he was with Eyes of Blue/ Big Sleep.

So there's considerable prog relation both musically and in terms of personnel.

Anyway, while there is a possibility for Eyes of Blue/ Big Sleep (that's how I would add it from what I know) in proto-prog or prog-related, I think that perhaps it should go through a Prog team first. If any SC or team member, thinks it should go straight to the PP/PR guys, then we can evaluate it properly. Although there has been something of a rule that the PP/PR people base their decision on arguments presented to them (has already been deemed very suitable by various people before coming to us and the proposal is strong), I certainly do like to hear all of the music first before making a decision.

Again, I haven't listened to it enough yet to have a good feel for where it should go. It's often considered to be a Psyche band but to me it's more Psychy Bluesy Heavy Art Rock. You might want to PM an active team member, if you know who is active, from your category of choice, and this might end up in Proto prog or Prog Related, but it is better to go through the Prog proper route first as a general rule when that is seen as a possibility.

Edited by Logan - October 15 2018 at 12:24
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 16:09
Eyes of Blue have much elements i regard as DNA to the prog sound of early 70s similar to the Zombies, Procol Harum, Tresspas era of Genesis, Focus, East of Eden and Gentle Giant, they even do multi layered vocal harmonies in baroqe style. I have binged them and find them pretty amazing.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 03:20
As proposed earlier, the eclectic team would be a good starting point IMO
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 03:47
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

A trivia is that John Weathers of Gentle Giant drums on the albums

I promt also eclectic team and even symphonic team to evaluate the merrits of Eyes of Blue

Gary Pickford-Hopkins was also their lead singer. Most should know that Pickford-Hopkins went on to form Wild Turkey with Glenn Cornick from Tull and later on was the main vocalist in Rick Wakeman's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 10:50
^ That's interesting too.

^^ Okay. Then, I might suggest that Icarium edits the title to add that in so that an Eclectic team member will be more likely to notice. On second thought, while I haven't listened to enough to personally vouch for suitability of inclusion in Eclectic (I used to be a member of the Eclectic team), I'll drop a link to this in their team thread (it does cross Psych, Heavy and Symph styles to these ears to whatever extent and does fall into the art rock sphere to my ears -- Eclectic is one of the categories that split from Art Rock). I mentioned it to them.

Edited by Logan - October 16 2018 at 10:59
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 10:57
I changed the title
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 11:01
Thanks, Christoffer. I have brought it to their attention.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 04:54
How far have the team got in the process of evaluation?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 07:32
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

How far have the team got in the process of evaluation?

I'll check with the team.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 08:14
I was involved in some discussion with an Eclectic team member on this, and we both felt from what we heard that it was not really right for Eclectic Prog. As I said earlier in this thread, even if questionably Prog-proper, I do generally think it better to go through a Prog team before possibly being suggested to Proto-Prog/ Prog Related.   I feel that it's better suited in the Proto Prog/ Prog Related camp, but it is not one that I personally plan to bring to that "team" (at least not at this time -- it's an interesting band with historical significance).

Edited by Logan - February 03 2019 at 08:14
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply