Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meditation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meditation
    Posted: September 20 2018 at 20:47
Do you all know of any album that's really good to meditate to? Currently I've been using MDK by Magma, but I've been using it for a long time now and would like to try something different. In the past I've used Gaucho by Steely Dan, Front Page News by Wishbone Ash, and even Amy Grant's debut album. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestion. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 02:34
Well, I quess you´re not searching typical, calm meditative music. What came first in my mind is Soft Machine´s Third, all four sides full of really great, mostly intrumental stuff. I don´t know now what you´re thinking about Amon Düül 2, but anyway their Tanz Der Lemminge 1-3 sides could be the ones in your meditating. And when you´re now into Wigwam, I believe some pieces from their "Live Music From Twilight Zone" would be great, their over 17 minutes version the Bands "The Moonstruck One", "Groundswell", "Nipistys" & over 15 minutes "Grass For Blades" could work in a meditation. Also I believe Pekka Pohjola´s music could work, his "Jokamies"-album is very spiritual, but also quite dark.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 09:23
Hi,

The best there is out there, is Frank Perry's first two albums. 

The chances are that you can not get past 5 minutes of Side One of the first album because it is really deep and extremely well designed and thought out as a meditation piece, but in the end, if you can make it through and try it again and again, it just gets better.

One other thing, also nice, but not as detailed and defined, is the Tibetan Bells series with Wolff and Hemmings. 

As far as rock music is concerned, I always thought AD2's YETI (the main piece) is a perfect meditation piece, but many folks have a nasty reaction to a guitar going out so strongly and so well. But the whole piece is magnificent. Also, good for some inner work, believe it or not, is AD1's couple of albums, although many simply say these are just drum circles and nothing else, but they are nice to close your eyes to, and they remind me a lot of the drum circles and events that the Grateful Dead used to do in Eugene (Oregon - the country fair), which according to many folks that experienced, was a very lively and exciting couple of hours, but these are ... slightly "different" meditations, though in my book, they still qualify.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 10:10
What springs immediately to mind would be Giger Lenz Marron's second album Where The Hammer Hangs, and Peter Giger's first Family Of Percussion record, the former recorded in 1978, and the latter in 1975. The music therein is "tailor made" to meditate to, though not to everybody's taste (or availability), they are wonderful sonic excursions and worth the effort to track down. GLM are jazz rock with free jazz elements, and Giger's solo album is complex percussion, and both records are extraordinary, really.

Edited by presdoug - September 21 2018 at 10:12
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 10:12
I'm sure there's a lot ambient stuff that's good. How about some of Fripp's soundscapes or Brian Eno. I used to meditate a lot(still do but not as consistently). I remember a woman I knew a long time ago said she used to meditate to Pink Floyd's "echoes." I think a better one would be the middle section of "awaken." Probably not much prog you can really meditate to. I'm kind of surprised Jon Anderson never really put out an album specifically for meditation.

Anyway, I'm not a Krautrock expert but I think some of that would be good. I recommend side two of Ash Ra Tempel's first album. If you aren't looking for mellow I'm not sure what to tell you. I would think if the music is too busy then you might be defeating the purpose of trying to meditate.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 21 2018 at 10:17
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 12:06
In the old days ....Tangerine Dream was perfect for those ....'meditative' trips.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 14:17
^^ I'll think of others in due course (other than the normal ambient stuff), but Olias of Sunhillow has a dreamy feel to it at times, although it has its racy moments too.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 15:05

A classic........
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 16:39
Thank you all for your suggestions. I just listened to that 'Meditation Mass' deal it was pretty good, just wish it was a whole album. In the past Logan recommended Tangerine Dream and I did meditate to Ricochet a few times(I like it). Also I used to meditate regularly to Soft Machine's first album, I had forgotten that. Didn't like the Third as much(for meditation purposes) but I'll try it again. MDK works the best of anything I've tried so far, but just don't want to have to listen to the same album every day for the rest of my life lol. Was just seeing if someone knew of something even better. But I'll try some of the other suggestions in this thread. Thanks again everyone.  

Edit: Oh I've also meditated to some Bach in the past and that worked fairly well. 

Edited by YESESIS - September 21 2018 at 16:48
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 17:36
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I just listened to that 'Meditation Mass' deal it was pretty good, just wish it was a whole album. 

It is a whole album. That track is simply the first one that is almost 18 minutes long. Here's the entire album:

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 17:47
It's hard to give recommendations because your "meditation taste" seems very particular, not what people would think is standard meditation music (such as Tangerine Dream etc.). I'm tempted to recommend "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" by Brian Eno and David Byrne, but the Jezebel Spirit may totally ruin it for you... then what do I know?I believe a number of further favourites of mine are great meditation music but maybe not for you... if you're in the mood for taking a bit of a risk, try the last two albums of Talk Talk, Holger Czukay (Good Morning Story, particularly Mirage, and Clash), Can (what was already recommended to you), Art Zoyd (e.g., Phase IV or Marathonnere), if you're up for something heavy you could even try Kong (e.g. Phlegm).
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 18:41
^Can might be good since a lot of it seems to have a rhythmic pulse. Try "yoo doo right" from Monster Movie.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 20:22
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

It is a whole album. That track is simply the first one that is almost 18 minutes long. Here's the entire album:

I just listened to that whole thing and it's good. I won't know for sure until tomorrow when I get in the position and actually meditate to it, but I think it could become my new go to album. I really think it has that chance, we'll see. And as far as Can, yeah everything I've heard from them so far has been real good(rhythmic, tribal, almost spiritual) so could be a chance there too, for sure. Starting to feel like MDK might not be the only option anymore, so thanks again everyone. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 21:27
Once again, Mike Oldfield, 70's albums.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 21:59
do it all the time..  my secret weapon to getting through life. The present as well as the past man...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 05:53
If you liked the Yatha Sidhra then you'll love this one album from the Japanese band Far Out. Also very meditative in nature.

Also Popol Vuh and as already stated Tangerine Dream.

However, some of my very favorite meditation music isn't in the prog realm at all.

This various artist comp called FROM HERE TO TRANQUILITY has long been a favorite

Edited by siLLy puPPy - September 22 2018 at 05:54

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 13:20
Had a college friend who used to hole up in his room with earphones and Genesis' SEBTP. He always came out refreshed and ready to meet life's new challenges.

Edited by Rednight - September 22 2018 at 13:20
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 18:43
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

If you liked the Yatha Sidhra then you'll love this one album from the Japanese band Far Out. Also very meditative in nature.

Also Popol Vuh and as already stated Tangerine Dream.

However, some of my very favorite meditation music isn't in the prog realm at all.

This various artist comp called FROM HERE TO TRANQUILITY has long been a favorite

The second one doesn't sound like music to me, but I like the first one a lot. Thank you for posting these. 

Mike Oldfield, I could try meditating to him. I listened to a couple of albums by him right before I left the forum this past spring and I liked them so who knows. Selling England is a great(best) prog album, so could work. And Micky, secret weapon for getting through life, absolutely!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 21:20
I have never had the curiosity to try and meditate as such. But whenever I have felt stressed and really in need of calming down, a listen to the whole 25 min of Shine on you Crazy Diamond puts me back in shape.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 08:37
Hi,

So weird to see this listing ... meditation is about inner silence and quiet so you can find out what is inside you better.

Thus, most "lyrics" would normally sidetrack one's ability to stay innerly focused, by changing the focus of the "meditation" from YOU, to the center of the lyrics. As such, this would not exactly qualify as a "meditation", and should be considered more as a "trip", which is what most of us did in the old days, and a lot of the lyrics were designed to help this, thus things like AHM and Echoes, had a small, slight lyrical content designed to enhance the inner landscape and enjoy it ... and do not forget that the album cover was an ear submerged in water .... and the water would be the impediment to the ability to listen clearly and completely ... one of the most well thought out covers for an album that has EVER been done!

It's strange that everyone ignored things like Frank Perry, and Wolff and Hemmings ... and all it suggests is that there is not as much a desire for "deep" learning about meditation, as much as there is for "tripping".

Heck, you can trip easily enough by just getting drunk or doping it up! Why bother with the heavy stuff?

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>