Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK - first album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prog4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK - first album
    Posted: September 21 2018 at 02:02
The line-up of Allan Holdsworth, Bill Bruford, Eddie Jobson, and John Wetton (RIP) was second to NONE. The first album is a phenomenal display of their prog and virtuoso sensibilities. I am aware that some songs on their first album are "debatable" for artistic majesty, but I - for one - find none of the songs on this first album with fallible character. Rather, it is the best album the group ever produced - especially since Bruford and Holdsworth left the band to form Bruford's solo band constituency of the late 1970's and and early 1980's. Several times before Wetton passed unfortunately, Jobson & Wetton "put the band back together" (albeit without Bruford or Holdsworth) - but, nonetheless, stellar in its incarnation. Most, if not all, of the music on this first album is "timeless" (though that might be debated amongst the purists, as it were). Let us raise up a toast (of whatever beverage is best for your overall health) to the prog super-group of prog super-groups: UK!
Davels666 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davels666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 02:42
An indisputable masterpiece! pity that the group has not had a long discography!Confused
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 04:11
I thought the debut was fantastic and I still play it a lot today. The down side was that it gave me some false hope that prog would continue in both quality and quantity during the punk/new wave explosion but that was not be! Rats.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 16:56
What a great description of this album!  Thanks for the most excellent tribute. 

Wetton was always a master, but this was his best gig, and having Holdsworth in the mix was pure magic.  I remember when I discovered this album, long after its release and thought "where have you been all my life?"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 21:21
Given the great apreciation this band and album have in the forum, I got it with high expectations, but it really didn't measure up for me. There's just something that didn't click with me. Some nice moments, but the melodies just didn't grab me, and Wetton's singing just didn't work for me.
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJoker7169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 02:45
Holdsworth makes the first album really special. Very sad to lose both him and Wetton in such a short span of time, both to disease.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 11:04
Great band and album...I didn't discover them until several years after the album was released.
I still like the first one the best due to the original line up but the second one is also excellent.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 12:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I still like the first one the best due to the original line up but the second one is also excellent.

Indeed. I'm one of the oddballs who PREFERS Danger Money. It's a fantastic record.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 16:30
Both studio albums are great. The second album has more 'balls' as they decided to be 'ELP Mk11' but the first is a perfect example of where symphonic prog was at in 1977. There is just enough of the jazz rock fusion influence to make it distinct without it becoming dull . My only slight criticism is that I would like it to sound a bit more punchier (production issues maybe). I would love to track down the live album they did but was never going to pay £200 for that deluxe box set which seems to be the only way you can get it nowadays.

Edited by richardh - September 23 2018 at 16:31
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 21:00
^ I did get a live album of them along with the original one, which has got some songs from the second album, but played by the original line-up. However, I'm afraid it didn't do much for me either... yet, I guess that fans of the studio albums should like it just the same. I didn't try and listen to the newer live versions from this decade, but somehow I would have hope that they might have played to songs in a warmer way that I might have enjoyed more... yet I lost interest is confirming it given that Bruford was not in the line-up.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 15:35
Bruford is hard to replace indeed, can't think of a single drummer that was/is like him except maybe Budgie (Siouxsie and the Banshees) who was the punk equivalent (and also rather brilliant in his own way)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 16:29
The live one most people know is Night After Night, a not-so-inspired performance.   The better live album (though with inferior sound) is Concert Classics vol. 4 .   Both may be on the box set, not sure  ~

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/ConcertClassics.jpg

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 17:15
IMO, Night After Night is a fine live album by the Jobson-Wetton-Bozzio trio. At the time, you couldn't get a much more rockin' drummer than Bozzio, at least not one who was fluent in multiple approaches. The only other guy was Stewart Copeland.

If you prefer the quartet, obviously you'll like Concert Classics Vol. 4 better. But I don't think the 4tet did the Danger Money songs better than the trio.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 17:19
^ Agreed: Bozzio is a demon, but NAN is just boring

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 20:07
Not sure why you think it's boring. "Nothing To Lose" is worth the price of admission.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have connected your username to the absence of a certain guitarist. Wink

Edited by verslibre - September 24 2018 at 20:09
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 06:42
Strangely I have both vinyl albums in mint condition. But have never listened to them. I have just bought them both on CD. I have been looking for a while but they were both very expensive until I found them both for 27 quid...

Edited by M27Barney - September 27 2018 at 06:44
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 14:41
Love both UK albums but Danger Money gets more play at my crib.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 02:17
You a vinyl spinner Scot?^
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 13:49
Just spun both cd's. Both 5 star on first spin! How the fook have I not listened to these for 40 years....how many more hidden gems are there for me to garner?
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 06:14
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Indeed. I'm one of the oddballs who PREFERS Danger Money. It's a fantastic record.
Me too. The self-titled never did much for me though, aside from "In the Dead of Night".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>