Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK - first album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 08:30
Took a long time to grow on me, but the 1st album is a classic.  The great tension between the jazzers and rockers created a wonderful hybrid - though I bought it as soon as it came out and was generally disappointed that it wasn't more "Crimson-like" Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 10:53
^I was also hoping for more of a Crimson sound......
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 12:04
Perhaps I should get more king crimson....if that's what uk is like...I have the first two so what's next
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 12:21
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Perhaps I should get more king crimson....if that's what uk is like...I have the first two so what's next

I wouldn't say UK sounds like any King Crimson, others mileage may vary, but if you want to keep exploring the Crimson world, I'd look at a couple options:

1) I you really like the 1st 2, then I'd keep going in order of release of the 70's studio albums.  Be prepared...next up is Lizard which I found the hardest, yet most rewarding of all the Crimson albums to dig deep into.  I loved Cirkus on first listen, but it took me quite awhile to fully appreciate the rest of it, but once reaching that stage...prog nirvana Smile

2) If you're not that crazy about the 1st 2 and want as similar to UK as possible, start with Larks Tongues and move in order through the Wetton/Bruford era Wink

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 12:22
Yeah they're two different animals, which is what was so cool.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 12:24
Thanks for that, I like the first two...so I will go with chronological order probs...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 12:28
I think that electric violin batters saxophone all day long. Sax has ruined some songs that would be far better with a guitar or synth solo instead...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 21:43
The excitement in the prog community when this album came out was very high!  This was a true super-group that introduced Allan Holdsworth to a very large audience, and it led to other prog supergroups that were fashionable at the time (GTR, Asia etc.) 

I saw them in concert for their first tour, it was an electrifying performance. 

Edited by cstack3 - October 04 2018 at 00:13
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 21:51
I say get "Collectable King Crimson Vol. 1", Vroom Vroom, and one of the live albums from the current line-up (the one I have and do like is Live in Toronto, though the one that is about to be released from their nights in Mexico City seems bound to be great too).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 11:44
The last track on Danger Money is sublime. The best prog track of 1979?
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 17:08
I was 14 when I heard the band, back in 2001, in provincial industrial region of Eastern Ukraine. They blown my mind completely, a prog fan ever since
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 00:32

Carrying No Cross
YES!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2018 at 09:33
Like I said...it's really weird how I bought the vinyl when it was released and didn't play it! Then 40 years later I get the cd's and play and I am blown away....considering the dearth of good prog in the late 70's how did I overlook such Gems....I blame puberty and sex....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 23:46
I remember the buzz surrounding the first album release as Alan Freeman was still hosting the Saturday afternoon show dedicated to Prog on BBC. The second album passed me by completely and I only became aware of it about 10 years on an ELP discussion forum. Breakneck speed drumming and keyboards at the front. OK I'll check that out!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 02:43
I obviously decided to buy both on release. Obviously prog news was obtained mainly through the music periodicals before t'internet and mobile phones....The second CD is very much like ELP..The last track is up there with the best that ELP recorded. And unlike ELP output no dud tracks to spoil the listening experience as you press the skip button...
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2018 at 03:15
Absolutely love it. My most played UK record far and away. Perfection IMHO!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 12:56
I have never got on with it - I should love it. Bruford, Wetton and Holdsworth on paper is the dream team. It just leaves me cold. 
Maybe it is time for me to give it another spin......
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 14:18

The only rival could be the last track of side 1 of the same album. UK's debut is excellent (4.5 stars), but Danger Money belongs to the highest top of the prog catalog.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 17:48
I had this one paired up on cassette with Bruford One Of A Kind. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 19:15
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Took a long time to grow on me, but the 1st album is a classic.  The great tension between the jazzers and rockers created a wonderful hybrid - though I bought it as soon as it came out and was generally disappointed that it wasn't more "Crimson-like" Wink

I miss this album. Nothing can ever replace Fripp, but I love Bruford and Jobson, and Wetton is a good composer ... now I look for him.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>