Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kraan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kraan
    Posted: September 22 2018 at 06:19
In the mid seventies I found an album in the record store bin with a radio station "promotional" sticker on. The station had never played it and it somehow ended in the used bin, though quite recent. I took it home, have been a fan ever since. The band had a guitarist Wolbrandt, also the singer, that seemed to step back and let the bassist (plectrum bassist Hattler) and sax player Pappert take a lot of the soloing and jamming.

The live 88 is a great album.(Old hits plus one flop)
 It got a little out of the jazzy origins before and after that.

Discography

Thoughts?

Edited by Tero1 - September 22 2018 at 07:25
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 06:47
The two originals plus drummer released a Trio two LP set. Can be found at band website. Also, Hattler had an illness a year ago. Fans report:
12. february 2018
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 11:08
I have the first three albums.....first 2 on cd....Nogger on lp.
PA page
www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1219

btw...off topic but can someone tell me why my hyperlinks aren't coming up live when I post them?

Edited by dr wu23 - September 22 2018 at 11:12
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 13:05
No idea, I did not even intend them. Wikipedia set it up. Maybe your browser?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 13:17
Have Let It Out, and it's excellent prog funk, if there is such a genre.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 14:54
Wiederhoren is my favorite. I tend to play the mid-period albums more than the early ones. But a very solid band overall. I wouldn’t mind having their whole discography. I think I have about 10 of them today.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2018 at 20:04
I’ve got Wiederhören on LP only. Makes me Somehow think of Autobahn. Bought it in Germany in 1992. Must have had room in suitcase. I was just starting to get CDs, stores still had LPs.
It was actually the easiest thing then to compile cassettes from LP and CD source.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 14:17
I'm fortunate to have the first five and last three studio albums plus 2 live ones. 
The debut remains my favourite. 
One thing I discovered completely by accident is if you take the first three studio cds plus the first live one then "Let It Out" the spines reveal a complete picture of a combination of the cover arts of all but "Let It Out" at the top of each spine is a letter and when put together they spell KRAAN. So the picture formed is the bow at the top of Wintrup the lower part(the sky) of the debut the face of Andy Nogger and the city skyline of the live one.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 05:56
I love Kraan. I’m lucky to have all their 70’s albums and the Live ‘88 all on LP - Wintrup is the album I return to most. Simply BRILLIANT !!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 16:27
Ive got the first 5 lps and I love their tightness; the jazzy, spiky funkiness of, particularly, the 3rd lp onwards makes them something quite unique. 

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 17:12
Kraan was/is always in the first place a live band. I saw them twice and one of these (Nachtfahrt tour) was one of the best gigs I ever saw. Hattler, Wolbrandt and also temporary keyboarder Bischoff are stellar musicians. Also I prefer their live albums quite a bit to their studio output, the band is just so much better in free flow. If I'm informed correctly, the 1975 Kraan Live is their bestselling album; it's quite unusual that a live album tops the sellings of a band, and this happens for good reason here.
The studio albums are all hit and miss for me; some good songs are there and sometimes they can reproduce their live groove and spontaneity in the studio, but there's always a bigger or smaller bit on these albums that is clearly sup-par.

By the way, Hattler (that is, his present band) also has excellent live albums - they're not on PA and I can understand why, but the funky groove is there and of course the bass, and songwriting-wise I'd say he has improved compared to his Kraan-days. Anyway a 70s musician who does fresh new 0% nostalgic music these days is surely to be celebrated.

Edited by Lewian - September 28 2018 at 17:16
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 17:34

Edited by Lewian - September 28 2018 at 17:36
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 13:36
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1219

Edited by dr wu23 - October 01 2018 at 13:38
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 04:06
Baseball is an incredible album - Truc Sserc (Curt Cress !!) drums on it, and his Kraan-mates appear for much of the ride.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 04:44
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Baseball is an incredible album - Truc Sserc (Curt Cress !!) drums on it, and his Kraan-mates appear for much of the ride.
A Tale of Two Helmuts-Hattler told me that when he was working on Baseball, his first solo album, Triumvirat's Helmut Koellen was working on his own debut solo album at the same time and place, and he met Koellen a few times, just a few days before Helmut's tragic death.

Edited by presdoug - October 07 2018 at 05:58
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 07:24
I heard them first on a Jazz/rock sampler video (on Vimeo, can't find it now, but it ran about an hour and had samples of several lesser-known bands).

So when I went to Germany this summer, found their first album on sale at a music place and had to grab it.   Really like it!

Edited by zwordser - October 07 2018 at 07:25
Z
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 14:30
Kraan ,one of my fave bands ever.Pretty much have everything of theirs.Great stuff.
Seen them several times, always great.
Thankfully have a few dvd concerts of theirs too.
Wiederhoren is my favourite.
Walking by a second hand record store way back,saw Wiederhoren in the window.Went straight in and bought it, thought the cover was great.
Had no clue who they were.LOL

Edited by gr8dane - November 03 2018 at 14:32
Shake & bake.
 Post Reply Post Reply