1 [5.26%]
6 [31.58%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [31.58%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post Rock I
    Posted: September 24 2018 at 17:30
I hope you guys will put up with me making four polls on Post-Rock. It's been a Post-Rock summer for me as I've spent the last three months re-listening over and over many of my favourites from this sub-genre plus picking up a few more and getting to some I hadn't listened to yet. 
I've wanted to create a top 10 to 30 list for a long time and decided to start with a sub-genre I thought would be easy. Should have known better. Bottom line is I have a clear top 24 that I'm really happy with and like my ratings these albums have nothing to do with being the most influencial or being on critics lists. I review as a fan and my list is the same, these are records I love to play, just my taste and that alone.
These four polls are just random albums from my top 24 and hopefully this will cause some discussion. I really don't care who wins each poll that's for sure.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - September 24 2018 at 17:31
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 17:33
I'll eventually say a little about why each of these made my list. Does anyone listen to Post-Rock anymore? I noticed TCat doing some reviews in this realm. I remember my daughter telling me back in the early to mid 00's that while in University she listened to a lot of Explosions In The Sky while doing homework.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 17:46
Post-rock is still quite popular among younger generations.

Labradford gets my vote. I really like the Yndi Halda also and I could live without the rest...
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 18:19
I've only heard the Mono and Sigur Ros albums. I'm checking out music from the other albums before making a decision. While I was tempted to go with You Are There, I was impressed with Labradford and it will get my vote (it fits in well with some of my listening habits of late).

Edited by Logan - September 24 2018 at 18:26
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 18:57
Tough call between Mono and We Lost the Sea. Gotta think about it
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 19:36
Hadn't heard any Labradford or We Lost at Sea, so thanks for that, John. I'm interested to see where you take us with these polls. I hope it's not all relegated to the first ten years of PR--I'm of the opinion that there have been a few refreshing and innovative takes on the PR sound that have been released in this decade, the 2010s. (Jakob Sines, Toe., Daturah, Collapse Under the Empire, sleepmakeswaves's debut, Gifts from Enola, Midas Fall, Monobody, Cicada, Battlestations). 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 20:00
Wow, some great choices here.  I really had to think about this one as they are all great but I have to go with Mono as this is an awesome and overlooked album from them, but Sigur Ros, Evpatoria Report, and Yndi Halda come close to getting my vote also.  The others aren't too far behind. 

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 20:39
I really like all the bands in this poll!!! tough to pick one.

I voted We Lost The Sea, their last album its great!!!!, usually i would voted Mono or the Evaporia Report
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 15:13
Sigur Ros for me.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 16:04
Takk is my favorite SR album. 

I'll have to check out the early leader though. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 17:27
Wow! I'm overwhelmed with the positive response and actually shocked at Labradford getting any votes, clearly I underestimated how popular they were.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 17:32
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Post-rock is still quite popular among younger generations.

Labradford gets my vote. I really like the Yndi Halda also and I could live without the rest...

I have to mention this again as I agree it seems to be University and College kids in the late nineties even up until now who have driven this engine. I mentioned my daughter but I love that line from the Pineapple Express movie where Seth Rogen's character is phoning his girlfriend to breakup with her and says "You're gonna go off to College soon...and you're gonna start listening to bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor and the f...ng Shins". Priceless! 

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 17:35
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I've only heard the Mono and Sigur Ros albums. I'm checking out music from the other albums before making a decision. While I was tempted to go with You Are There, I was impressed with Labradford and it will get my vote (it fits in well with some of my listening habits of late).

Labradford completely surprised me. I mean it comes off a movie soundtrack to a degree, dark with almost mumbling vocals. It's a headphone album for sure, especially that first track but man it hits me emotionally for some reason. Maybe it's the organ which we don't often hear in this style of music. 

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 17:38
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

By the way Greg I was tempted to call these polls the Logan and Avestin polls because you two guys got me into so much music back in the day creating polls that were simply done to feature certain albums with absolutely nothing to do with who would win. Avestin by the way has done a ton of Post-Rock reviews and ratings on RYM.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 17:43
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Tough call between Mono and We Lost the Sea. Gotta think about it

Both bands certainly know how to create beauty then absolutely crush you. We Lost The Sea is one I almost forgot about as I had it but hadn't checked it out yet. I saw it on someones list and man one of the few concept albums in this genre of music and they clearly put a lot of thought and emotion into that record after losing their friend and vocalist.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 17:49
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Hadn't heard any Labradford or We Lost at Sea, so thanks for that, John. I'm interested to see where you take us with these polls. I hope it's not all relegated to the first ten years of PR--I'm of the opinion that there have been a few refreshing and innovative takes on the PR sound that have been released in this decade, the 2010s. (Jakob Sines, Toe., Daturah, Collapse Under the Empire, sleepmakeswaves's debut, Gifts from Enola, Midas Fall, Monobody, Cicada, Battlestations). 

sorry for spaming my own poll but you all deserve a response. Drew I hate to disappoint you but 18 of my 24 picks are from the 00's. And 2005 is clearly my favourite year for Post Rock by a long shot. 3 from the nineties and 3 from the 10's. 
Obviously I haven't heard a ton of albums from this genre. I have around a hundred and I think I have albums from 6 of the bands you mentioned. Again this is purely my taste and only my taste in music. 
What is the first ten years of Post Rock? Many feel Talk Talk started it all in the latter part of the eighties then Slint and Bark Psychosis among other in the early nineties.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 17:54
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Wow, some great choices here.  I really had to think about this one as they are all great but I have to go with Mono as this is an awesome and overlooked album from them, but Sigur Ros, Evpatoria Report, and Yndi Halda come close to getting my vote also.  The others aren't too far behind. 

I was hoping you'd respond. Hymn Of The Immortal Wind gets mentioned by a lot as Mono's best. I like it a lot but man there's a ton of strings and I don't think it has the power outbursts this one has. Glad you like Maar, I feel it's a but underrated I just can't get enough of it even though Golevka reaches higher in my opinion. Just a great sounding band from Switzerland. 

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 17:56
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

I really like all the bands in this poll!!! tough to pick one.

I voted We Lost The Sea, their last album its great!!!!, usually i would voted Mono or the Evaporia Report

Ahh the man with very similar tastes to mine. I swear everytime I play Departure Songs it's just keeps getting better and better. Attention to detail. Love the Ronald Reagan speech and soundbites from the Challenger disaster. When they kick into gear oh man! But the beauty when those guitars echo gently. 

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 18:31
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Sigur Ros for me.

My pick too and like Phil my favourite Sigur Ros album, so uplifting! 
I remember driving up the mountain and through the valleys looking at Fall colours one year and they let me play this while we did it. Not sure what they thought but for me it was glorious.
I've said before that for driving music I prefer Electronic and Post Rock, the audio for the visual.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 18:34
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Takk is my favorite SR album. 

I'll have to check out the early leader though. 

I did a poll probably 8 years ago or so I'm guessing about personalized plates. We can use 8 letters up here. Well I finally took the plunge and 2 weeks ago I picked mine up. If anyone comes up to me and says "Is that the band WEIDORJE" I think I'll kiss the person. 
My next list will be Zeuhl.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>