Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rock In Opposition 2018 Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock In Opposition 2018 Review
    Posted: September 24 2018 at 20:07
Finally back in the USA after RIO & then a week in England seeing family and friends. Here's my review:-

Day one was excellent, first up Jean Louis with Bela Quartet, experimental jazz played with a string quartet, they were at their best when all playing together and making a racket, less so when the two parts played separately. Alec K Redfearn and the Eyesores, were great as usual, played a bunch of songs off the new album, no eurorack this time so less noodly effects but still a pretty psychedelic sound, lots of people up front dancing. Chromb! were a big surprise, tight, loose, heavy, fast turn on a dime rock/jazz with lots of humor. Don't remember them being as excellent 4 years ago here. 

Day 2 started with 3 soloists getting 30 minute sets on the small stage, first some instrumental acoustic guitar, then Bob Drake playing his fun punchy songs, most less than a couple of minutes with bizarre lyrics, very enjoyable, lastly some sort of performance art with lots of feedback, snaps stamped feet, more art than music, most found it interesting. The first main act was PinioL, loud heavy fast, bonkers, fun. Pretty much full on for their full set, exhausting but superb. I struggled with Albert Mancoeur as I have no French, it was primarily vocal narrative to Bela Quartet string accompaniment, I left after about 20 minutes but he was very well received by an appreciative crowd. Last up were Free Salamander Exhibit, a terrific performance full of theatrics, energy, fast moving changes and crunchiness. Loved it.

Day 3 started with the excellent Camembert, very zappaesque, particularly the Grand Wazoo era, loads of kitsch, humor and theatrics, good use of horns, harp and vibes. One of the hits of the festival. Next was Jean Louis, alone this time, experimental avant jazz with loads of distortion and effects, superb. 3rd was Polymorphie, another of the Lyon based bands, poetic vocals in English and French with crunchy zeuhl like backing, very good. Last was Ptah, a Magma cover band, tight and energetic without the PR issues. 

Overall an excellent festival, very well run with a terrific line up and loads of friends to sit and chat wit. Had a great time.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 13:00
Mildly to pretty jealous for chromb!, Jean Louis, Piniol, and Camembert. Although too be honest, this lineup was probably the least appealing of any of the RIOfests (atleast, that I can remember)

Glad to hear it went well of course 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 17:34
With Free Salamander Exhibit and PinioL it was a no brainer for me, I was also excited about Camembert, Jean Louis, Polymorphie, Chromb and Bob Drake. That makes it a pretty fine line up for me. The only reason Alec K Redfearn isn't on that list is because I'd seen them 3 times this year, still terrific.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 19:04
Nice review, Ian! I wished I can go of course.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply