Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Experimental Prog rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgBlob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experimental Prog rock
    Posted: September 24 2018 at 23:39
Hello, im in search of some good experimental prog. Ive been really into a certain sound in prog that i only come across every now and then and Im just looking for any recomendations. I find myself craving to hear something like Larks Tongues in Aspic and Part the Second by maudlin of the well. A more abstract sound with genre bending and a tone more on the serious side of things. King Crimson has perfected this sound with Larks and Islands, but some other gems are Per Un Amico by PFM, Grace for Drowning by Steven Wilson, Maudlin of the Wells discography and The Seer - Swans or The Golden Communion - Thighpaulsandra (last 2 being much more experimental, less prog). If anyone knows what I mean and have some albums/artists that might fit my description, any recomendations are appreciated. 
Note: metal or jazz or any genre works
Thanks alot.
ProgBlob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgBlob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 23:40
I forgot to mention, Pink Floyd and Kayo Dot are also excellent examples of this 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 00:42
I believe you would like Finnish band called Circle, at least some of their stuff.
ProgBlob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgBlob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 00:47
They look promising. Could you recommend an album or song to start since their discographies th is very large? Thanks
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 03:15
My favourite is Miljard, But its their most ambient-album. Pori might be good starter.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 06:39
Circle members are big krautrock-fans and they call their music also krautrock. So if you like them, I recommend you to check out Can & Faust, two of the greatest krautrock bands. Cans Future Days may be great starter, Faust IV from Faust. And Faust is REALLY experimental!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 08:07
Try "Art Zoyd", especially their first 4 albums, for a more classical approach.  If you like the louder experimental music that is more metal based then try "Sleepytime Gorilla Museum".  You mentioned "Swans", so you might like "Angels of Light" which is another band headed by Michael Gira, more along the lines of folk, but he really stretches the boundaries of Prog Folk.  If you like the drone/electronica experimental music, then try Bass Communion which is Steven Wilson's project. 

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 08:49
Have you heard of Tool and their album Laterilus.

I will also reccomend the band Major Parkinson and their album Blackbox

Also Devil Dolls is worth a mention.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 09:17
That's a wide range of stuff. First things that come to mind are Talk Talk's last two albums, Spirit of Eden and especially Laughing Stock. They have the chamber music elements that Part the Second has, the repetition of Swans, and a unique atmosphere.

I'd say check out Avant-prog in general. Henry Cow and Universe Zero have some of the chamber music elements that appear in some of the examples you gave.

As for Swans, their current sound is influenced by post-rock, krautrock, as well as the guitar totalism of Glenn Branca and Rhys Chatham, who are not necessarily prog, but bridge the gap between classical and rock in a very different way. As far as krautrock goes, Can and Neu! are the relevant ones. For post-rock, Godspeed You! Black Emperor seems like the main one.

I would check out the last two Stern records and Extra Life's Secular Works as well.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 10:27
Rock Bottom by Robert Wyatt is also an excellent album of experimentationa and elements which you seek, wimsical and presice
Davels666 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davels666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 10:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFfXmH0Gksk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AVnaF1lEs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ5QPtHKVd4
Tongue
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 10:56
Just go to avant/rio on here and you'll find a whole bunch of stuff including stuff by the residents, swans etc and although they are considered krautrock check out some early Can stuff. 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 15:20
Try Charles Lloyd's "Wild Man Dance" for some very experimental, free jazz. I took me a while to dig into it, but once I did, it took my mind for a wild spin.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 22:00
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

That's a wide range of stuff. First things that come to mind are Talk Talk's last two albums, Spirit of Eden and especially Laughing Stock. They have the chamber music elements that Part the Second has, the repetition of Swans, and a unique atmosphere.

I'd say check out Avant-prog in general. Henry Cow and Universe Zero have some of the chamber music elements that appear in some of the examples you gave.

As for Swans, their current sound is influenced by post-rock, krautrock, as well as the guitar totalism of Glenn Branca and Rhys Chatham, who are not necessarily prog, but bridge the gap between classical and rock in a very different way. As far as krautrock goes, Can and Neu! are the relevant ones. For post-rock, Godspeed You! Black Emperor seems like the main one.

I would check out the last two Stern records and Extra Life's Secular Works as well.
Those Talk Talk-albums are so fantastic! Also one great band that has put into avant/rio is Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, it is going into punk direction, so if punk is not your music at all, theyīre not your stuff.

And because some "weird" stuff is mentioned, I just want to recommend Comus that has been my great pleasure about 1,5 years now,
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 05:41
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Try "Art Zoyd", especially their first 4 albums, for a more classical approach.  

It cannot be stressed enough that all Art Zoyd albums are great and some of the most experimental stuff is actually on later ones such as Metropolis and Champ des Larmes; they steered into contemporary experimental avantgarde more and more often with growing maturity.

Otherwise my avatar-giving hero Holger Czukay (ex-Can) did some spectacular stuff on his solo albums although this is quite different from the things you have mentioned with much sampling and (re)mixing; try, e.g., Canaxis, Movies, Good Morning Story, Clash, Linear City, New Millenium. Another groundbreaking album regarding the use of samples is Eno and Byrne's "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts". Not sure how much you are into meditative electronic but Tangerine Dream's Zeit is a timeless classic and some of their early work is pretty experimental. Some more experimental non prog-mainstream things come from This Heat/Charles Hayward, Throbbing Gristle, Zoviet France. Fred Frith (ex-Henry Cow) has a number of solo albums worth checking; Helter Skelter and Steps Across the Border are awesome. David Sylvian (ex-Japan) has also moved more and more in an experimental direction in later years.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 05:55
Any Zeuhl?

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
ProgBlob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgBlob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 16:11
Thanks everyone who responded, wow! Found a lot of interesting music. Though i am already a Tool and Talk Talk fan, those bands are great recommendations. I must say, i discovered Thinking Plague and that has been my greatest success so far. Highly recommended, if anyone knows anything similar to that, shoot!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 18:07
Originally posted by ProgBlob ProgBlob wrote:

Thanks everyone who responded, wow! Found a lot of interesting music. Though i am already a Tool and Talk Talk fan, those bands are great recommendations. I must say, i discovered Thinking Plague and that has been my greatest success so far. Highly recommended, if anyone knows anything similar to that, shoot!

Art Bears are pretty cool, maybe 5UU's, Ahvak, U Totem, Present.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 23:56
One that hasnīt mentioned here yet, not commonly conneceted to prog, but really great and if you like Captain Beefheart, itīs must, is the Red Krayola. You can start for example albums "Soldier-Talk" & "Black Snakes".
Shrek the Progre View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrek the Progre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 11:51
May I suggest some works from the latest years. 
Poil - Brossaklit and Bubblemath - Edit Peptide have some of the most creative tracks I've seen from this decade.
As an IDM fan I shall suggest Igorrr - Hallelujah and Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy aswell.

And since I came across Brossaklit from this thread why not suggest Guerilla Toss' homonymous album, which is weird as f**k and I still need to relisten to.

Edit: Had a listen to Charles Lloyd and remembered of Medeski, Martin and Wood. Friday Afternoon in the Universe was a great album of theirs

Edited by Shrek the Progre - October 02 2018 at 11:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>