Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which prog rock tracks are far too short?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 16:58
Five Per Cent for Nothing.. it cut off before Jon, Steve, and Chris could enter and make it a classic...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 17:15
Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick (parts 1 and 2) played at 100x speed is too short at about 26 seconds long.

I can think of several that I do wish would go on and on, but I can't fault them for being too short. I do play them over and over again. Some of my favourite songs are less than two minutes long and the brevity is perfect. Actually, I know that there is more than one that I had wished were longer, but I can't recall them right now. I wished that the themes were explored more and that there was more variation on those themes. Maybe those will come to me when I stop trying to remember them.

Edited by Logan - September 26 2018 at 17:16
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 23:20
First section of Moonchild by King Crimson
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 00:58
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

First section of Moonchild by King Crimson

not a bad suggestion... it could've lasted the whole 12 minutes

I'll vote for The Soul of Patrick Lee on Cale & Riley's Church Of Anthrax, which only last 2.3 minutes, but I could easily beg it last double that.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 04:02
As a prog fan I'll have to say all of them!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 05:56
The studio version of Comfortably Numb. Fading the second guitar riff out is criminal 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 21:26
^ Fortunatley we have the live versions. My favorite is the one on Delicate Sound of Thunder. Too bad it's not by the classic line-up.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 07:43
I agree! I've always thought that solo should go on forever!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 10:27
Originally posted by pitfall pitfall wrote:

I agree about Gentle Giant - they tended to cram more good ideas into one tune than most bands have in their entire career.
The downside is that they would rather keep adding different sections rather than repeat something, no matter how catchy it was.

You say that as if it's a bad thing LOLLOLLOL

Shrek the Progre View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrek the Progre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 16:39
there is a good song by The Tea Club called The Fox in a Hole that lasts not much more than 4 minutes. If only some of these greater new bands went for actual epics...
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 22:24
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I love Maid In Heaven just as it is tbh.

Me too, one of the joys of this wonderful song is that it just comes in, slaps you round the head and then leaves quickly. It's pretty much perfect.
Me three, and agreed. 

Family have a couple that fade out well before their time: "Crinkly Grin" - 1:06 and "Dark Eyes" - 1:46
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 08:03
Marillion - No Such Thing - they could have jammed a bit longer, it's got a nice atmosphere Smile
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 08:27
"White Car" from Drama by Yes

1.21 for a Yes track!
Songs cast a light on you
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 08:48
Yes - A venture 

This one wins the prize in this category for me. There's actually an outtake that is about two minutes longer but it was never officially released. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 09:03
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Fly on a Windshield

This.

Classic Genesis, I just wish it could have been developed a bit more.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 06:49
Rush: The Trees

Shoulda' been an epic like Xanadu, Jacob's Ladder, Natural Science, or even By-Tor and the Snow Dog.  That song just cries out for a long, progressive instrumental section depicting the battle between the Maples and the Oaks before the final resolution. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 13:56
I think it would have been great if the Moody Blues had stretched out on some of their songs back in the day.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 15:56
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think it would have been great if the Moody Blues had stretched out on some of their songs back in the day.

Their main focus was the songwriting not compositions so it wouldn't have made sense for them to "stretch them out" in the typical prog way imo. That being said there is a nice long flute solo on "legend of a mind" but I think that's about it for them. That might be the closest they ever came to "real prog" and yet it still precedes "the red faced album" by a full year. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 02:37
The intro to Karn Evil 9. Sublime, blink your ears and no reprise...
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 09:17
Survival by Camel. Seriously, just a minute?

Illusion by Urian Heep. Fades out when the new part kicks in, wtf?

Hello by Blackfield. More of that guitar, please!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>