Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roy Harper Appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roy Harper Appreciation thread
    Posted: September 26 2018 at 14:33
Hi and welcome to the thread for anyone who would like to talk about or explore the work of the great Roy Harper.
Ive seen Roy Live 50-60 times live since 1979 and his music and lyrics have been a source of inspiration all my adult life. Some of his live performances have been fairly stoned, shambolic affairs (so were many of Peter Hammill's earlier solo shows!) and I know he has been a very divisive artist over the years in terms of his attitudes to life, love, religion and philosophy but I believe him to be an intensely progressive musician who has never abandoned his principles and his muse.

I'm particularly keen to hear from anyone who saw him late 60s into the early mid 70's.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 21:55
I have been big Roy Harper-fan just few years, really would like to see him live, but I believe he would not perform anymore at least outside UK...Really love his great voice and acoustic guitar playing!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 06:41
Big Harper fan here both professionally and personally! Love his music but not Roy too much when he get's in a mood and gets on a soap box. I missed seeing him in his stoned days so I've only seen the eccentric, like the time he stopped playing in order to explain the next song and then went off on some 20 minute unrelated tangent! But that's Roy! Still love him though and a lot of his music should have been much more popular, no doubt about that.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 12:00
I'm also a fan.....saw him twice in Chicago in the late 90's . The second time after the show he signed some of his cd's for us and several of us even had a beer with him and talked....he drank Heineken from a bottle in case anyone's interested.
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 12:33
Great singer, lyricist and musician.

Edited by Barbu - April 30 2019 at 08:49
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 13:47
Is it too late

To create

A world made with care?

Edited by Barbu - April 30 2019 at 08:50
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 16:11
I was going to put up 'favourite epic' in the Polls section:

One of those days in England
Lords prayer
Mc Goohan's blues
Burn the world
Me and my woman 
Circle (come out fighting Genghis smith)

Which would you choose and why?

I went to a small festival in Cornwall in the mid 1980's where Roy headlined 3 nights, doing a different set every night ending in one of these three epics!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 16:17
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Big Harper fan here both professionally and personally! Love his music but not Roy too much when he get's in a mood and gets on a soap box. I missed seeing him in his stoned days so I've only seen the eccentric, like the time he stopped playing in order to explain the next song and then went off on some 20 minute unrelated tangent! But that's Roy! Still love him though and a lot of his music should have been much more popular, no doubt about that.

Totally agree- he could (and did) go off on a stoned ramble many, many times and incur some major heckling in the years I saw him though I think he was more 'straight' (if there can be such a thing) the first few times I saw him at the very end of the 70's with a tighter band, trying a more commercial sound. Then I think he just went back to being a 'one man rock n roll band' and slipped back into old habits plus drinking a fair bit.. but the few times I actually met him he was very amiable and not the grumpy so & so I was led to believe he would be.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2018 at 04:37
Venues, dates and ticket links for Roy's 2019 UK tour, from the Roy Harper Newsletter:

GigsAndTours:

Ticketmaster:

Venue Ticket Links:

March 12th, 2019 - Symphony Hall, Birmingham, UK

March 14th, 2019 - De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill, UK

March 16th 2019 - The Palladium, London, UK

March 18th 2019 - Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool, UK

March 20th 2019 - The Sage, Gateshead, UK

March 22nd 2019 - Town Hall, Leeds, UK

March 24th 2019 - Usher Hall, Edinburgh, UK

As always you can check the website for any changes:
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 02:45
It's a funny thing. I've heard Stormcock years ago, and loved it - still do. It's an almost perfect album for me, and for that reason, I never felt compelled to hear more from Roy, out of fear of being disappointed. 
Bigger on the inside.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 05:43
 ^ I'm not sure that Roy would appreciate that but c'est la vie. Perhaps you should read some of the PA album reviews.
Especially mine. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2018 at 17:35
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

It's a funny thing. I've heard Stormcock years ago, and loved it - still do. It's an almost perfect album for me, and for that reason, I never felt compelled to hear more from Roy, out of fear of being disappointed. 

I think for many its the quintessential RH lp; its certainly the most balanced in terms of composition.. but that was never Roy's way of working and so there were always going to be some elements and/or songs which shine out better than others. For instance 'Lifemask' is a phenomenal lp in terms of songs and composition let down by poor production and possibly by Roy's state of health/ being a bit too out of it. With an artist as mercurial as Roy, you've got to take the rough with the smoothWink

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 05:23

^ I'm not sure that Roy would appreciate that but c'est la vie. Perhaps you should read some of the PA album reviews.
Especially mine. Wink

Holy crap, that might have been one of the most negative 4-star reviews I've read. LOL
So what album do you recommend, then? 
Bigger on the inside.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 05:43
Hi,

I'm of the opinion that the 3 greatest poets that have graced rock music over the years, and not just 5 of them, would have to be Bob Dylan, Roy Harper and Peter Hammill. 

I'm not exactly a Bob Dylan fan, but a lot of his wording sticks in your mind, and that is exactly what a poet and writer tries to do, although the style for Roy is more likely to be totally ad-lib and about the moment when he did his thing, and really, I loved it when he said no to going out with Pink Floyd, probably figuring that he was going to get only 5 minutes and the chair and the dark the rest of the time, and for that he would probably say a loud _______ to Roger, I bet! Or have a beer, sucker!

Over the years, Roy has put together incredibly satisfying albums, and it is a great compliment to his ability when someone says that they are/were afraid of hearing anything else because one album was so good ... many of the other albums stand out as well, just as much!

Special for me:
Lifemark
HQ (and that one fabulous piece ... "Playing the Game Pts 1-5")
BullinaMingVase (One of These Days in England)
The Unknown Soldier
Jugula +4
.... just for starters ... specially as so few rock bands can even get past themselves and two albums, if that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 11:24

Especially mine. Wink

Holy crap, that might have been one of the most negative 4-star reviews I've read. LOL
Once again, you're still focused on Stormcock, which was never a favorite of mine for very good reasons, but I do like half of it. As I said, Roy wouldn't be amused having given so much creative focus on music that he hoped would thrill and possibly transform people to think outside of the box. I recommend Flat Broke and Berserk, Valentine, Life Mask, Bullinamingvase, HQ, The Green Man, Jugula, Man And Myth and especially Death or Glory. All are essential Roy in my book.

Edited by SteveG - September 30 2018 at 11:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2018 at 14:51
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

HQ (and that one fabulous piece ... "Playing the Game Pts 1-5")

This is the one 'epic' from RH that I forgot to put on my poll of his longer pieces!! and I agree, its a fabulous piece!Clap

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2018 at 12:24

Especially mine. Wink

Once again, you're still focused on Stormcock, which was never a favorite of mine for very good reasons, but I do like half of it. As I said, Roy wouldn't be amused having given so much creative focus on music that he hoped would thrill and possibly transform people to think outside of the box. I recommend Flat Broke and Berserk, Valentine, Life Mask, Bullinamingvase, HQ, The Green Man, Jugula, Man And Myth and especially Death or Glory. All are essential Roy in my book.

Yes...I like those others better also........Death and Glory is classic Roy in angst over lost love and other issues.
;)
There are two of my favorite songs on Baroque....How Does It feel? and Tom Tiddler's Ground. Also a big fan of Once and Green Man.....
But there really isn't an album by him I don't like.

Edited by dr wu23 - October 01 2018 at 12:26
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 11:35
Been listening to The Dream Society quite a lot lately and while the 1st half is somewhat hit (the wonderful dancing all the night) and miss (drugs for) with me, the last 5 songs are very strong. You can hear the positive results of his recent collab with the Tea Party on 'Come the Revolution', the muscular 'Angels of the Night', the inspired 'The Dream Society' and la pièce de résistance 'These Fifty Years' is a modern day Harper classic (love the highway 61 feel on that one).

Solid Roy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 14:10
^ I have to admit that is the one lp of his that i'm not very familiar with.. very amiss of me really.. I will check it out again ASAP along with Green Man which I also need to hear again. Cheers for the nudge :)

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 14:21
^ And don't forget "Death Or Glory?" They make a good trio!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>