Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roy Harper Appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 15:15
^ Youre absolutely right! I had a real splurge on that lp as my first marriage had finally collapsed around that time and I identified with that mixture of anger, bewilderment and sadness that that lp seems to encapsulate for me.. again I have to admit I haven't listened to it for a while but will dig it out.. Although I love 'Once' and it has some great songs and guests, it suffers from poor production and just feels a bit woolly in places whereas Death or Glory has more bite sonically.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 07:50
^ I think that all people can relate to "Death Or Glory?" What's more universal than painful broken relationships?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 14:27
Just to nudge this thread here's an old poster I found in amongst my stuffSmile

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 14:34
You have good 'stuff'! As I said a while back - your experiences and memories would make a very good read, Cosmiclawnmower.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 15:34
I recently bought an original LP of Lifemask. I haven’t spun it yet.....looking forward to it !
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 16:14
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

You have good 'stuff'! As I said a while back - your experiences and memories would make a very good read, Cosmiclawnmower.

Ha ha you're too kind.. to be honest its the bits I cant remember that would probably make the best stories Wink Ah.. British reticence you know; I don't want to sound too much like a certain one of our friends from across the water..EmbarrassedWink

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 16:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 16:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I recently bought an original LP of Lifemask. I haven’t spun it yet.....looking forward to it !

Its a great lp hampered by 'biscuit tin' production in places.. South Africa and The Lords Prayer are truly sublime.. With the Lords prayer in particular, stick with it.. its pretty dense and repetitive in sections but it is a true work of poetic genius IMHO Smile

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 16:28
...Back on topic - just given Flat, Baroque and Beserk a spin on the old vinyl after quite a while - and what an interesting and enjoyable play it was. I forgot the power of 'I Hate the White Man', the poignancy of 'Another Day', the different style of 'Hell's Angels' and one of my all time favourites - 'Tom Tiddler's Ground' - amongst many other tracks. Very nice!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 15:33
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Its a great lp hampered by 'biscuit tin' production in places.. South Africa and The Lords Prayer are truly sublime.. With the Lords prayer in particular, stick with it.. its pretty dense and repetitive in sections but it is a true work of poetic genius IMHO Smile
Wow !! Just wow! This album is the best I’ve heard from the man so far. Then again, I only have Flat Baroque.......and Stormcock, both of which are excellent, especially the latter, but this Lifemask is something else.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 06:06
^ Yes, Lifemask has that effect on some people. I think that its better that Flat, Baroque.. and Stormcock, but I'm in the minority I'm afraid!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 06:07
It's amazing to me that even among the prog crowd ol' Roy is only a cult artist with a small following, but that's life I suppose.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 12:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's amazing to me that even among the prog crowd ol' Roy is only a cult artist with a small following, but that's life I suppose.

I think that he is more than that, and the main issue is that folks are so stuck on a "sound", and some cheap, and sometimes meaningless, lyrics. When you first hear someone like Roy Harper, Peter Hammill and those extremely "independent" voices that just seem to flow around their words, this is not something that happens so naturally in a lot of rock music, that is supposedly better and all that ... 

I always like to say, and I am a writer and a poet, that the words are as good as an instrument, and sometimes are what brings the music out ... but in a lot of hit driven things, this is not the case, and the music and the lyrics do not seem to match for my mind ... it's like one goes right and the other one goes left, and this has been something that has prevented me from enjoying a lot of bands, like Dream Theater and other heavies, because their "sound" is more important than anything that could be said and understood ... and immediately they go back to the one thing they do well, and the lyrics get kinda lost in the shuffle, and come off not as valuable and important. This is specially clear in a DT concert when the singer takes a step back, and is not a part of the whole thing.

Also reminds me, of the time when Roy declined touring with PF. He knew that it was a one off 5 minute song and he would be backstage bored senseless, and probably thinking that he did not care, or like for some of the material ... which he might have been more polite by refusing and not saying anything about his friends, that helped him right from the start of his career. But, it tells you, what kind of writer, poet and person he is ... he wants the poetic freedom to "live" live on the stage ... and there are many stories as to how difficult he can be to play with since he changes parts and pieces like no one else can ... and you already know that this is because of the flow of the words ... bring up something else, and it is really hard not to follow it up and lose that special sense in the wording at that very moment. 

All poets, and writers, live for those magical seconds in time ... they are one of the greatest inspirations one can find and get!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 14:23
''There once was a man from the old stone age
And he used to follow the weather
But now he's got hung up on filling a page
Upon whether to go or together
And he's been around for so damn long
With his whooping and wailing
Crushing questions between right and wrong
And impaling
The best he can hope and the worst he can fear
on the Solstices of an illusion''

These few lines from the start of 'The Lords Prayer' express succinctly (for me) something very fundamental about the nature of mankind.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 07:43
^ (Snapping fingers) Heavy man, heavy! (Snapping fingers.)
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 08:27
I'd like to see Mike Judge bring back Beavis and Butthead for the sole reason to comment on Stormcock.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:18
One of my favorite Harper tracks.....

How does it feel to be completely unreal How does it feel to be a voter How does it feel to be a voluntary heel I wonder who's it is I see you queuing up outside Saint Peter's gate, You can feel bonafide if you ride with the tide But it's not real How does it feel to be out on your own How does it feel to be thinking How does it feel to be out on the run With the mindless world at your heels I wish I had no answers to put to you Cos they got me so high tied I feel like most of me has died And it's real And outside on the dragon And inside in the cold Mammy's on the bandwagon, daddy's just getting old And through the blood spew heavens The roar of lust complains: Please let me in I have no sin, but you know I'm not real And how does it feel to be the master's right hand nose How does it feel to be lieutenant How does it feel to be stood on someone's toes With a leech bleeding you for rent, When you say you want a bit more rank You wanna be a big wheel You can feel magnified if you hide in your pride... It's not real And how does it feel with a white flag in your fist How does it feel to have two faces How does it feel with your god strapped to your wrist And him leading you such a chase You got one set of words for him, and you got another for me You're gonna feel mystified when you're identified Don't worry kid it's not real And outside on the dragon And inside in the cold Mammy's on the bandwagon, daddy's just getting old And through the blood spew heavens The roar of lust complains: Please let me in I have no sin, but you know I'm not real And through the blood spew heavens The roar of lust complains: Please let me in I have no sin, but you know I'm not real
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 14:16
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I'd like to see Mike Judge bring back Beavis and Butthead for the sole reason to comment on Stormcock.

Snrk snrk he's got cock in the title snrk snrk..

Finbarr Saunders and his double entendres got there long before B&BHWink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 14:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ (Snapping fingers) Heavy man, heavy! (Snapping fingers.)

Far out Brother far out (puts beads on)Wink

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2018 at 14:51

Another gem form Roy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>